Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Still worries how close the mild area is and that low is of concern but not as much as it was ! I worry that this might me another north of the M20 event maybe even seeing the midlands get another battering instead of us in Kent as well but I guess time will tell. Fingers crossed

I like to add if this does happen it doesn’t affected to many people with covid vaccinations ect 

Stay safe everyone and much love ! 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Torrential now.. The rivers =( =( no warning from the met?? 

Also.. High res very very poor with this system over the south today.. GFS actually did pretty well which concerns me.. 

Current view of GFS on Windy App for Sunday. 

734E953D-2431-436A-A8E0-A49C7EC84A93.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

I cannot describe how gutted I’ll be if we miss out again. I know I’m being a pessimist but...

• Like 3

Posted

further to my last post re  met office forecasting rain for us in thanet, I have just ventured onto the mad thread and apparently there is an iberian low which could just be too close and giving us marginal conditions      typical !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

further to my last post re  met office forecasting rain for us in thanet, I have just ventured onto the mad thread and apparently there is an iberian low which could just be too close and giving us marginal conditions      typical !!

There'll always be something, lol, hopefully we all get what we crave, it's never straight forward

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

amazing all this talk of snow for the east coast at the weekend and yet the met office have us in down for rain in thanet even with them showing a north/easterly wind, oh well at least I can enjoy the photos of you lucky people that get some snow.....good luck peeps

I think patience is going to be needed for this one... we may miss out, we may not. 30 miles either way can make a huge difference for us on the coast and nothing will be resolved at this stage as the models are still toying with the position of the LP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
3 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

unlike to have a bearing on us, don't panic 

Posted

The Met have put me in warning area (only just) from Saturday to Monday. Hopefully just the start and the cold and snow spreads to more of the region. Fingers crossed we all get snowed in. 

Screenshot_20210203-100536_Met Office.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
13 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

I cannot describe how gutted I’ll be if we miss out again. I know I’m being a pessimist but...

I feel your pain...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

62/63 was something else....nothing remotely compares to it since. Must have been amazing. I enjoyed seeing pics of the Thames frozen over in Staines and lots of people ice-skating on it. 10 years before I was born. 

Such was my excitement at the time I remember it all quite vividly to this day. I was living in a flat in Hornsey North London at the time and stared outside watching it fall all day Boxing Day without let-up. It must also have continued most of the night because next morning It was 14" deep. Going downstairs I was aghast to discover thick snow lying inside the front door!  It had penetrated about a foot inside. We had no central heating and the fierce winds had blown the snow through the cracks. It was that cold indoors the snow hadn't even started to thaw inside.

But even more of a shock was when I went outside and discovered it was RAINING heavily. Only there was something different about this rain and at first I could not  could not make it out. Then I realised this wasn't ordinary rain, it was freezing rain. It was all very weird, because I'd never come across such a phenomenon before. A short while later it turned back to ordinary rain, but even that froze the instant it landed on the thick snow, creating a very crusty sheet of ice on the surface. Later again it turned back to snow, but by then it was fairly light stuff. 

What followed was two months of bitterly cold but mostly sunny weather. The temperature often stayed below freezing all day, sometimes way, way below, and it very rarely rose more than 2F or 3F above.

It seldom snowed again either, but there were occasional heavy showers, including one when the flakes were incredibly huge, such as I've not seeen since. In fact the closest it's come for me was just last week when once again the flakes were huge, but still not quite as large I don't think. 

The downside to it all was that the lying snow hung around and got compacted into a treacherous sheet of ice. Sometimes it would turn to slush only to refreeze overnight. It all got very, very mucky. There was no general thaw until towards the end of February by which time we were all mighty relieved to see the back of it.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, spear said:

The Met have put me in warning area (only just) from Saturday to Monday. Hopefully just the start and the cold and snow spreads to more of the region. Fingers crossed we all get snowed in. 

I expect that will be extended south westwards over the next couple of days!

A good 6z GFS. Would likely lead to:

Sunday: Widespread  (potentially prolonged) snow showers (especially across East Anglia)

Monday: Snow showers 

Tuesday: Snow showers (becoming lighter and more scattered the further south and west)

Wednesday: Snow event from the South West.

All subject to change of course,  and never take the precipitation charts  literally (especially in these events). That said, shaping up to be an interesting couple days!

• Like 3

Posted

Just a hunch but I feel us in Cambridge will miss out again, this time because we're too far West to benefit from Sunday's low (necessary in order to bring in colder uppers) and not coastal enough to benefit from showers thereafter. Hopefully I'm wrong! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Top of the morning to you all. I Can confirm it is wet. Another sort of stay in front of the roaring log fire day. Bring back Ian Mccaskill, we had better winters when he was in charge. Take care everyone and good health.

• Like 2

Posted

I am sort of expecting this weekend and next week not to happen. After weeks and years of let downs I can’t believe it yet. Being in east Kent about 20 miles from say Margate, NE winds are usually very good for us ????????‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Crikey, having read all the Snowfall anecdotes of you "youngsters", I'm really feeling old now!! Well I am 65.

I do remember (vaguely), the 1962/63 Winter, I was 7 and a few Months.

Myself and my Family lived in a Prefab House, similar to these:

image.thumb.png.bc69edf7f03945eae3661cbb7280d633.png

————————————————————————————————————————————————-  

Tom, nice having those memories. Seems I have an extra 10 years on you. Still got in the shed a toboggan I bought second hand with my hard earned pocket money when I was about 10.  Only feel old when I see the old git looking at me in the mirror. Also ache a bit. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:
14 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Crikey, having read all the Snowfall anecdotes of you "youngsters", I'm really feeling old now!! Well I am 65.

I do remember (vaguely), the 1962/63 Winter, I was 7 and a few Months.

Myself and my Family lived in a Prefab House, similar to these:

image.thumb.png.bc69edf7f03945eae3661cbb7280d633.png

————————————————————————————————————————————————-  

Tom, nice having those memories. Seems I have an extra 10 years on you. Still got in the shed a toboggan I bought second hand with my hard earned pocket money when I was about 10.  Only feel old when I see the old git looking at me in the mirror. Also ache a bit. 

Seem to have shoved my comment into your posting. 

Posted

Morning all, 9c bang on currently in St Leonards, very dark and wet day. Trying not to get my hopes up about next week so have resisted the urge to mention it to anyone else, as that usually just ends up making me look stooopid

Fingers crossed though!

Edited by TommyB
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, terryall said:

I was a kid in 62/63 and remember the snow very well. I lived not far from Tom SE12 back then in Charlton and we had snow piled up against the back door to about 3 or 4 foot. Our school never closed and, eventually, we were told not to throw snow balls as some were like packed ice and very hard. We still got thrown out of the class at playtime so we just slipped our way around and kept falling over. Great fun.

Some incredibly long slides on the playground. No health and safety to worry about. Just get on and do what kids want to do.  The odd broken bone but that was more of a lesson than being wrapped in cotton wool. 

• Like 2

Posted

How is it looking for snow starved Sussex. I know it now looks like we will be cold enough but will we get the precipitation at the same time? 

Posted
1 hour ago, spear said:

It's literally 7 miles to my east and north. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
4 minutes ago, snowblind said:

It's literally 7 miles to my east and north. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I am sure that there will be further upgrades in due course to extend the cover to more areas as confidence grows

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

I'm not too worried about met warning areas just yet. 

Anglia weather going for snow flurries into the weekend. Even a modest southward correction and surely that wording will change.