Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Actually there's a warm sector far to close to Kent for my liking in that, everyone else should be fine though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Would feel happier when the 528 line has cleared through the country south as well 

• Like 3

Posted

It's my son's 14th birthday Thursday - every year we hope for snow on the day and only once have we had a decent fall.

I know it won't happen Thursday but it would be nice to tell him Thursday that cold & snow is on its way...still not convinced we will benefit here though. Fingers crossed the models continue showing the same sort of outcome as the ECM etc indicating we'll have some very cold uppers over us by Sunday!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter hot in summer
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e

does not look good for looks like the snow stays in the north, complete change since yesterday i wonder if the forcast wil flip back for us to have snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

GFS is doing it's normal blow up the low thing, although sometimes it's right. We'll see.

Yes, can only wait. Am used to waiting, been a lot of that kind of feeling lately! And nothing to do with the weather. Be lovely to get a few days of proper snow for everyone to enjoy, but not go on too long and cause dramas for the NHS and older/vulnerable people. Mind you, my Mum is 74 and a bit vulnerable and she was acting like a big kid when it snowed last week, FaceTiming me every 5 minutes lol, all excited  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Apologies to Paul Sherman but the last few hours of Yesterday Evening, into the first 6 or so hours of this Morning, marks the 12th Anniversary, of the most potent "Thames Snow Streamer" Event, in the 55 Years of  my being interested in Meteorology.

For around 50 of those Years, I've lived firmly in the "Thames Snow Streamer" Zone,.

For 35 of those Years, in my home Town Borough of Bromley (N.W.Kent/S.E.London).

In 2006, I moved in with my eventual Wife, here in Lee, S.E.London.

Although I lost a bit of altitude, I was still firmly in the "Zone" (Thames Corridor).

I'd now like to recall that time, with some anecdotes, Archive Charts, Youtube clips and a couple of images of the aftermath, of the Event. 

I'd been struck the Night before, on the way home from Work, re. the amount of grit/Salt that had been put down on Bromley's Roads and Pavements. Bromley Council had obviously "had the word" from the Met. Office, via a Severe Weather Warning.

I was working in East Croydon at the time and set off to work on that Sunday Morning (1st Feb), after a  quick glance at the Radar.

This revealed a few Wintry Showers, pecking away at our Regions, East Coast. See Archive Charts below, for Sun. 1st Feb:

06z SUN. 1ST FEB 2009.                  850'S 06z SUN. 1st FEB 2009

image.thumb.png.b72b9224d20beec421afcc80db547f57.png image.thumb.png.227e5d0e76b560547d4d8d10b91832c8.png

You could sense a real Continental bite to the wind, on the way into Croydon from Lee, with a bit of Wintriness in the air.

A quick peek at the Radar, just before Lunchtime suggested that the Thames Estuary was about to kick into life.

See Archive Charts below, for 12z Sun. 1st Feb:

12z Sun. 1st Feb 2009.                     850'S 12z SUN. 1st FEB 2009

image.thumb.png.b936a6cfb510d13aa5d5526e4eeda18b.png  image.thumb.png.44c206ea70be92b3c894ddf6a65fe4ae.png

It became overcast in Croydon, at that time and we had quite a heavy short lived Snow Shower.

But the Sun soon reappeared and reports started coming in of Snow Showers in Mid-Kent and East Sussex.

A quick peek at the Radar, showed that the Thames Estuary had gone back to "sleep" and that the action had transferred to Kent and East Sussex.

I wasn't too concerned by this development, as a Thames Streamer wasn't meant to kick in, until later in the Day.

I can distinctly remember a colleague of mine remarking, "Where's all yer Snow gone then, Michael Fish. Look at the Sun streaming through the windows, it must be 20c out there!"

I countered with, "You wait 'til later. You'll be laughing on the other side of your face then!"

Just before I left work at around 6, I noticed that the Thames Estuary was starting to "bubble up" again.

18z Sun. 1st Feb 2009.                     850'S 18z SUN. 1st FEB 2009

image.thumb.png.d789745bbcfed2b7e3c14803c75f5026.png  image.thumb.png.6962ea59d844fa9ecd01c4274be7f0eb.png

Got to Bromley, halfway through my journey back home and although it was dark, I could see that the whole of the Eastern skyline, was filling in with cloud and spreading quickly, towards me

.As I boarded my Bus, a few Snowflakes started to flutter down and by the time I reached Lee, there was a slight dusting of Snow, on the ground. The walk around the corner to my House, takes in a very small section of the South Circular Road. 

This is a major Road, that traverses South London. In that small section, it aligns itself WSW > ENE.

I could see away to the ENE the tell tale  "Orange Glow", by the light of the lighting on the South Circular and I knew that in all probability, the Thames Streamer was about to kick in.

I'd only been indoors for about 5 minutes, when heavy Snow started to fall. The remainder of the Evening was punctuated with heavy and prolonged Snow Showers, with plenty of Curtain twitching and Lamppost watching, by Yours Truly.

Obviously, I didn't retire to Bed with such an Event, ongoing.

The Snow Showers kept piling in and were prolonged at times with a couple of huge cracks of thunder.

Below are the Archive Charts, at the height of the Event: 

00z Mon. 2nd Feb 2009.                     850'S 00z SUN. 2nd FEB 2009

image.thumb.png.c01281fc1a4296ba74b0d35fc11566e2.png  image.thumb.png.53d68fc9c492d61a6df1c9d41ca2ed91.png

I stayed up until well into the early hours of that Sunday Morning and witnessed plenty of colourful, Radar returns.

After a short sleep and the Streamer was just about to peter out, after about nigh on 10 hours of activity.

Below, is a Video clip of a News/Travel/Weather Report, that appeared on BBC Breakfast, on Mon. 2nd February:

It wasn't just a "Thames Snow Streamer" causing havoc, there was a lot of Snow around the Country, especially in the East.

Plus, another area of Snow was expected to cross the Channel from N.E. France and affect our Region, during the Day.

It was my Day off from Work, on that Monday and myself and my Fiancee decided to go on a long Snow walk.

We decided to walk the 3 and a half Miles to the South, to our home Town of Bromley.

The Snow on our Patio Table had reached a depth of around 4 to 5 inches, by the time we left home but as we continued to walk Southwards, that increased to 6 inches in Kings' Meadow Park, a few Hundred Yards from where we both lived, during our Teenage Years. 

Even in the very built up Town Centre of Bromley, the depth of Snow was just over 6 inches.

A lot of Bromley's Shops hadn't manage to open and those that had, were going to close early.

Myself and my Fiancee decided to pop into the British Home Stores, to grab ourselves a Sandwich and a warming Pot of Tea.

We then set out on our journey back home.

That area of Snow that had crossed from N.E. France was still around but as was correctly Forecast, was beginning to turn a bit Sleety, as the Upper Air had started to become "marginal."

12z Mon. 2nd Feb 2009.                    850'S 12z MON. 2nd FEB 2009

image.thumb.png.b9b8bcd0755267229b37cb89985ed883.png  image.thumb.png.46a88591daf222465e6c0739de6e2244.png  

By the time we arrived home, late Afternoon, a slight thaw had stet in, aided by the wet Snow/Sleet that was still falling.

It had been a thoroughly enjoyable "Snow Chase" and one I will never forget.

I also have to give the Met Office great credit, for their advanced warning of an Event like this, occurring.

Although the Fax Chart below, shows a Trough in the flow approaching our Region, a few Days earlier it had been placed       East > West, along the Thames Corridor.

I will leave you with some lasting images, of this unusual "Thames Snow Streamer" Event.

First, a Youtube clip of Croydon, on Monday 2nd February, a few hundred Yards from where I worked:

Finally, a couple of images of Photos taken by my Daughter.

They were taken where I used to live in Anerley, S.E. London, when joined NetWeatherin Jan.2005, as TomSE20.

The first is of my Daughter's Car, outside our Maisonette, on the Morning of Monday 2nd Feb. 2009:

large.gallery_2739_1322_49929.jpg.83b0f60dd1cca6dbd37d4adcf499087a.jpg 

The second, also taken by my Daughter, from a Bridge overlooking Anerley Station, looking N.E, a few hours later:

large.gallery_2739_1322_203901.jpg.f31e2bd18bd060626e203a3f5c78d196.jpg

Both images confirm the unusual Snowfall distribution, of this Event!!

In my experience, it was unheard of that Anerley, some 6 Miles to the West of Bromley and further away from the Thames Estuary, should "out Snow", my home Town, in a "Thames Snow Streamer" Event.

The same applies to Croydon, as the sentence above.

But as we know, this was no ordinary "Thames Snow Streamer!!"

Regards,

Tom.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

It didn't turn sleety in Croydon, but stayed very light though, we still had snow three days later on the ground. Quite a long time for snow to stay around in London. This was in central Croydon, so south Croydon and Shirley, Addington etc probably did even better.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Apologies to Paul Sherman but the last few hours of Yesterday Evening, into the first 6 or so hours of this Morning, marks the 12th Anniversary, of the most potent "Thames Snow Streamer" Event, in the 55 Years of  my being interested in Meteorology.

For around 50 of those Years, I've lived firmly in the "Thames Snow Streamer" Zone,.

For 35 of those Years, in my home Town Borough of Bromley (N.W.Kent/S.E.London).

Although I lost a bit of altitude, I was still firmly in the "Zone" (Thames Corridor).

I'd now like to recall that time, with some anecdotes, Archive Charts, Youtube clips and a couple of images of the aftermath, of the Event. 

I'd been struck the Night before, on the way home from Work, re. the amount of grit/Salt that had been put down on Bromley's Roads and Pavements. Bromley Council had obviously "had the word" from the Met. Office, via a Severe Weather Warning.

I was working in East Croydon at the time and set off to work on that Sunday Morning (1st Feb), after a  quick glance at the Radar.

This revealed a few Wintry Showers, pecking away at our Regions, East Coast. See Archive Charts below, for Sun. 1st Feb:

image.thumb.png.b72b9224d20beec421afcc80db547f57.png image.thumb.png.227e5d0e76b560547d4d8d10b91832c8.png

You could sense a real Continental bite to the wind, on the way into Croydon from Lee, with a bit of Wintriness in the air.

A quick peek at the Radar, just before Lunchtime suggested that the Thames Estuary was about to kick into life.

image.thumb.png.b936a6cfb510d13aa5d5526e4eeda18b.png  image.thumb.png.44c206ea70be92b3c894ddf6a65fe4ae.png

It became overcast in Croydon, at that time and we had quite a heavy short lived Snow Shower.

But the Sun soon reappeared and reports started coming in of Snow Showers in Mid-Kent and East Sussex.

A quick peek at the Radar, showed that the Thames Estuary had gone back to "sleep" and that the action had transferred to Kent and East Sussex.

I wasn't too concerned by this development, as a Thames Streamer wasn't meant to kick in, until later in the Day.

I can distinctly remember a colleague of mine remarking, "Where's all yer Snow gone then, Michael Fish. Look at the Sun streaming through the windows, it must be 20c out there!"

I countered with, "You wait 'til later. You'll be laughing on the other side of your face then!"

Just before I left work at around 6, I noticed that the Thames Estuary was starting to "bubble up" again.

image.thumb.png.d789745bbcfed2b7e3c14803c75f5026.png  image.thumb.png.6962ea59d844fa9ecd01c4274be7f0eb.png

Got to Bromley, halfway through my journey back home and although it was dark, I could see that the whole of the Eastern skyline, was filling in with cloud and spreading quickly, towards me

.As I boarded my Bus, a few Snowflakes started to flutter down and by the time I reached Lee, there was a slight dusting of Snow, on the ground. The walk around the corner to my House, takes in a very small section of the South Circular Road. 

This is a major Road, that traverses South London. In that small section, it aligns itself WSW > ENE.

I could see away to the ENE the tell tale  "Orange Glow", by the light of the lighting on the South Circular and I knew that in all probability, the Thames Streamer was about to kick in.

I'd only been indoors for about 5 minutes, when heavy Snow started to fall. The remainder of the Evening was punctuated with heavy and prolonged Snow Showers, with plenty of Curtain twitching and Lamppost watching, by Yours Truly.

The Snow Showers kept piling in and were prolonged at times with a couple of huge cracks of thunder.

image.thumb.png.c01281fc1a4296ba74b0d35fc11566e2.png  image.thumb.png.53d68fc9c492d61a6df1c9d41ca2ed91.png

I stayed up until well into the early hours of that Sunday Morning and witnessed plenty of colourful, Radar returns.

After a short sleep and the Streamer was just about to peter out, after about nigh on 10 hours of activity.

Below, is a Video clip of a News/Travel/Weather Report, that appeared on BBC Breakfast, on Mon. 2nd February:

It wasn't just a "Thames Snow Streamer" causing havoc, there was a lot of Snow around the Country, especially in the East.

Plus, another area of Snow was expected to cross the Channel from N.E. France and affect our Region, during the Day.

It was my Day off from Work, on that Monday and myself and my Fiancee decided to go on a long Snow walk.

We decided to walk the 3 and a half Miles to the South, to our home Town of Bromley.

The Snow on our Patio Table had reached a depth of around 4 to 5 inches, by the time we left home but as we continued to walk Southwards, that increased to 6 inches in Kings' Meadow Park, a few Hundred Yards from where we both lived, during our Teenage Years. 

Even in the very built up Town Centre of Bromley, the depth of Snow was just over 6 inches.

A lot of Bromley's Shops hadn't manage to open and those that had, were going to close early.

Myself and my Fiancee decided to pop into the British Home Stores, to grab ourselves a Sandwich and a warming Pot of Tea.

That area of Snow that had crossed from N.E. France was still around but as was correctly Forecast, was beginning to turn a bit Sleety, as the Upper Air had started to become "marginal."

image.thumb.png.b9b8bcd0755267229b37cb89985ed883.png  image.thumb.png.46a88591daf222465e6c0739de6e2244.png  

By the time we arrived home, late Afternoon, a slight thaw had stet in, aided by the wet Snow/Sleet that was still falling.

I also have to give the Met Office great credit, for their advanced warning of an Event like this, occurring.

Although the Fax Chart below, shows a Trough in the flow approaching our Region, a few Days earlier it had been placed       East > West, along the Thames Corridor.

I will leave you with some lasting images, of this unusual "Thames Snow Streamer" Event.

First, a Youtube clip of Croydon, on Monday 2nd February, a few hundred Yards from where I worked:

They were taken where I used to live in Anerley, S.E. London, when I joined NetWeather in Jan.2005, as TomSE20.

The first is of my Daughter's Car, outside our Maisonette, on the Morning of Monday 2nd Feb. 2009:

The second, also taken by my Daughter, from a Bridge overlooking Anerley Station, looking N.E, a few hours later:

In my experience, it was unheard of that Anerley, some 6 Miles to the West of Bromley and further away from the Thames Estuary, should "out Snow", my home Town, in a "Thames Snow Streamer" Event.

Regards,

Tom.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Remember it well Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, bluebell said:

As I diversion from the emotional agony and torment about the forthcoming snowmageddon or heatwave next week I share this splendid photo just seen on twitter, lovely cloudy thing around table mountain..!

A6AB7A30-D85F-483D-86F9-212ED134198E.jpeg

Is that a flying saucer

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
25 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

They were taken where I used to live in Anerley, S.E. London, when I joined NetWeather in Jan.2005, as TomSE20.

Regards,

Tom.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks Tom. 

Good memories of that event in Somerset. Not quite what you had, but was a fun few days, nevertheless.

This is the only photo I have from the day! 

IMAG0060.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

, lovely cloudy thing around table mountain..!

Pileus cloud caused by temperature inversions! One of my favourite clouds

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
28 minutes ago, greenhithe said:

does not look good for looks like the snow stays in the north, complete change since yesterday i wonder if the forcast wil flip back for us to have snow

hi greenhithe 

what forecast says only snow to the north ?

As Only the GFS has a poor run for us in the SE, UKMO, ECM, GFSp and others all still showing an easterly arriving on Sat/Sun, so still a high probability of the easterly arriving .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks Mark, my Neighbour.

Didn't ever think I would see so much Snow settling, in an Inner London Borough, as Lewisham is!!

Regards,

Tom 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

As I diversion from the emotional agony and torment about the forthcoming snowmageddon or heatwave next week I share this splendid photo just seen on twitter, lovely cloudy thing around table mountain..!

Mount Fuji ?

• Like 1

Posted

After a wet start, its now glorious sunshine and quite mild, can we keep this please, no more rain, dont need the snow, just warm sunshine to dry everything up and lift the spirits, wishful thinking I know.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

No change from me today, the easterly will arrive during the weekend (timing still uncertain). Next week should hopefully be the coldest since then 2018 cold spell, just need to wait for that slow moving low to clear east and allow cold air from Scandinavia to flood our way.

GFS will backtrack over this. Or I will eat my snow hat (Why would I need it if I was wrong)...

Sun is out here with just a gentle breeze.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Mount Fuji ?

Weirdly just looked again and it say Mount Errigal Co Donegal... ?‍♀️