Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Candlemas Day 2 February - weather folklore

damianslaw

Posted

It is Candlemas Day on Tuesday (2 February), the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. There are a few weather folklore sayings associated with this day, based on how the rest of the 'winter' season may pan out. Hence it signifies a mid-point in the winter weather calandar, even though 6 weeks past the winter solstice.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright

Winter will have another flight

But if it be dark with clouds and rain

Winter is gone, and will not come again

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair

The half o the winter's to come and mair

If Candlemas Day be wet and foul

The half o the winter's gone at yule

It is just one of many sayings, and can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Based on current output and forecast Candlemas Day this year will fall into the cloudy and wet category for many, cloudy and white in the north though.. so based on the saying, winter has gone and won't come again! This is contradictory to signals for later in the week though.

What I like about Candlemas Day is a reminder we are still in the depths of winter, and whilst spring is coming into the horizon, there is still a good few weeks left yet before we can shake off the winter coat..

I think it probably had greater resonance in times gone by, and very much a country folklore, farmers need to have half there wheat and hay still available to see them through the rest of the barren season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It is also of course Groundhog Day when Phil, the groundhog, comes out of his hole in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and predicts whether Winter will continue or Spring is just round the corner. If he sees his shadow, we will have 6 more weeks of Winter. If he doesn't see his shadow, we will have an early Spring. In 2020, he didn't see his shadow , which probably ties in neatly in the UK with our early and sustained Spring weather during the first lockdown. And I for one hope that the same happens this Tuesday, given the present circumstances!

Posted
6 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

It is also of course Groundhog Day when Phil, the groundhog, comes out of his hole in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and predicts whether Winter will continue or Spring is just round the corner. If he sees his shadow, we will have 6 more weeks of Winter. If he doesn't see his shadow, we will have an early Spring. In 2020, he didn't see his shadow , which probably ties in neatly in the UK with our early and sustained Spring weather during the first lockdown. And I for one hope that the same happens this Tuesday, given the present circumstances!

Its felt like Groundhog Day since 4 January! Quite apt description to describe current days. 

Posted

This was my favourite Candlemas / Groundhog Day in recent times - the start of a memorable wintry spell.

spacer.png

Here's an example from 2019 which goes against the rule.  We had a dusting of snow but the rest of the month was mild and the CET finished at 6.7.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Actually rather unusual here to get snow 10 years to the day apart!

• 8 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

There is a weather saying in Germany that the shepherd would rather see a wolf enter his sheepfold on Candlemass than the sun.

This is based around the fact that sunshine on Feb 2nd was suggestive of a high pressure (Scandi) that would maintain the cold and snowy weather for weeks to come. Making for a very long winter

• 3 months later...
Posted

Time to resurrect this thread as I always do each year. My favourite weather saying.. looks like this year will deliver a mostly dry day 2nd February.. but can't see the next 6 weeks of a cold persuasion. It adds credence that the weather of the last 6 weeks often holds away in a general state next 6 I.e mostly mild conditions will ensue..not always but you have a good feel for what the remainder of winter will likely get up to. 

• Like 2