Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mounting Watson W-8686

Posted

Hello,

I've just bought a Watson W-8686 to replace an old Maplin Weather station which has started to fail. The mounting pole I was using for the Maplin isn't substantial enough for the Watson as the mounting brackets supplied with it appear to be for a 2" (or 50mm) mounting pole and the Maplin one is much thinnner. I've had a look through other posts on this board and it looks like there are a few people with the W-8686 so I am wondering what anyone else has used for mounting it. I am not planning to attach it to the house as I want it to be reasonably accessible so a pole which could be attached to a post would be ideal. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

David

Posted

Most folks tend to use TV aerial mounts.

You can buy low cost aluminium aerial poles for various configurations from Amazon UK

Posted

here is a guide i used

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

BUT i had trouble meeting the height with the pole i had , as it was to small really

I then looked into using OLD scaffold poles, but the cost was very high for delivery and thought about a pole sold by screwfix 

In the end I compromised. Not ideal, BUT i'm happy with the results

1 - 1 (11).jpeg

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a temporary solution with the weather station at a height of about 2.5m (at the bottom of the garden so well away from the house) but I'll have a look at the siting guide for ideas abut a better solution.

Regards,

David