Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted

Worth reminding ourselves of how cold 2009 was, given the timing of the Feb 09 easterly is pretty close:

CFSR_1_2009020118_2.thumb.png.1f02740d75629689af5ecec5e6dc2cac.png

Has to be said the depth of cold is really not all that different compared to what alot of the models are showing at this stage, particularly on some of the GFS members, especially given the tightness of the isobars as well on some of the ensembles.

Just something to keep a close eye on!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah I'm always hyper wary of easterlies, even at 96-120hrs out. Been burned literally dozens of times over the last 15 years.

However there is a certain robustness to this set-up and the way it evolves means I think the north is now 100% certain for a cold spell. Still some uncertainties regarding how well the cold air filters down, particular the further SE you go, however the models have 100% trended in a good way by in large overnight.

We probably need to see 2-3 more suites coming in like the 00z before we can really get excited but at least the ECM has kicked itself into gear now.

Good to hear! But it’s always THAT ECM that it comes back to.. think it scarred me for life

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, khodds said:

Good to hear! But it’s always THAT ECM that it comes back to.. think it scarred me for life

That run is just about to happen in 6/7 days. It just picked it up 8 year and a couple of months early.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
17 minutes ago, khodds said:

With the risk of sounding like a party pooper, it’s way too early to get excited. We have all been here before and been burned. I’m just watching with interest right now

I can understand your reluctance khd. Having been burnt before. But that's often because one model wasn't fully on board with a switch to easterly/northeasterly fed cold. ATM we do at least have cross model (big three) agreement at pretty close range.  Detail however remains to ironed out over the next few days.

So a watching brief for me too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, khodds said:

Yes, that has to be at the back of ALL our minds before telling children, friends, work colleagues etc!  It doesn't help that I keep seeing @That ECM posting!   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Such a relief to be able to post...Fantastic ECM.. Snow from the east and then from the west. No one misses out in this run!!

187CD011-3D65-4E13-8302-EA5BCE35D512.jpeg

My goodness!  If it happens like that this place will go into meltdown....with apologies for that particular metaphor.

• Like 1

Posted

Runs overnight solidifying the cold encroachment at the weekend. It's looked likely now for a couple of days in my opinion. I am a believer of the adage, get the cold in and snow opportunities will arise. The next 2/3 days will give us further direction where any snow is likely to occur. The North and East look the favoured places to be in such a set up. But this is obviously subject to change.

• Like 3

Posted

IM giving it another 24 hours before ordering the sledges lol,but getting towards the timeframe when you can call it a done deal.Chance the minus 15 line might make it across the North Sea,which is very rare .

Lots of heavy snow showers piling in from the North Sea,if all this verifies.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
14 minutes ago, khodds said:

But remember during the That ECM fiasco the UKMO model was never on board.

This is different for once we have near cross model agreement.

what could possibly go wrong  

Andy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Penrith Snow said:

But remember during the That ECM fiasco the UKMO model was never on board.

This is different for once we have near cross model agreement.

what could possibly go wrong  

Andy

Uh-oh!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
57 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Right let me tell you why i think the king model is playing catch up thank god!!yesterdays ecm had a ridge going up towards scandi at 120 hours which kept the low over the uk and not sinking as much and not as quickly therefore we were getting crappy left over cold 850s from the north and not the full on scandi freeze!!!!today on the other hand the ridge is pretty much gone at 120 hours and the low over france and spain is disrupting into europe and around the same area the ecm had the ridge in. A move defo towards gfs this morning and the ecm SHOULD complete its bad days at the office later on!!!view attached photos to see what i mean...

Screenshot_20210201-080809_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-081037_WhatsApp.jpg

With all due respect, your king model the ECM has been made to look the joker of the pack 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, loafer said:

He’s viewing the charts on Meteociel.fr which is a French site.

Thanks loafer , 

but when I asked to get charts from the Metoffice and I asked for a link on other threads before to the Met office

The links that I was always given where to charts like these in French. 

Four example, A user just posted this as part of his post “ 

UKMO going down the Dutch lp route after scooting the pressure system eastwards initially”  so am I correct that the UKMO means UK Met office?

if so when I’ve asked for the UKMO charts before I was always given links to French sites. 

so could you post me a link to the Met office charts please 

many thanks and apologies for being a bit dumb I just genuinely didn’t know

I can view GFS on this site with no problems suggest a link to the MOUK would be great thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

My goodness!  If it happens like that this place will go into meltdown....with apologies for that particular metaphor.

just 76cm for Edinburgh and the central belt . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
11 minutes ago, offerman said:

Thanks loafer , 

but when I asked to get charts from the Metoffice and I asked for a link on other threads before to the Met office

UKMO going down the Dutch lp route after scooting the pressure system eastwards initially”  so am I correct that the UKMO means UK Met office?

if so when I’ve asked for the UKMO charts before I was always given links to French sites. 

I can view GFS on this site with no problems suggest a link to the MOUK would be great thanks 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Météociel propose le modèle UKMO à maille moyenne (1.25 degrés) jusqu'à 144h. Cartes de prévision des précipitations, du vent, des températures à tous les niveaux

Depending on what browser you use, you can right click and there should be a 'Translate to English' option.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Gfs is going to be slower in clearing that low here than the 0z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Garthvader said:

Can this now be classified as a major warming?

10hpa & 30hpa attached.

Screenshot_20210201-085324_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-085249_Chrome.jpg

The classification of a SSW as a major warming is widely accepted to be the reversal of the mean zonal wind at 10hPa 60N. This morning's GFS forecast suggests this is imminent, although brief, before wind speeds increase again. The 0z GEFS ensemble mean suggests it may have happened yesterday, 31st January. However, if a 2nd reversal happens within 20 days of a previous reversal, it is considered to be one and the same event, so as the first reversal was on 5th January this should be classified as a separate event - just. We'll see what the strat professionals think.

GFS 1517895319_SPVu_60N_10hpa01Feb.thumb.png.6021542e0465d8fdb4e3538b0e46e747.png GEFS 2111522635_GEFSSPVzonal01Feb..thumb.png.2db4715afb31be6a8403ab7bf4f74913.png

Sources:
GFS http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/hattard/realtime.php
GEFS http://weatheriscool.com/page11.html

Edit: Sorry - 5th Jan plus 20 days is 25th January - so separate event by this definition. Got my date calculations wrong. Doh.

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, offerman said:

Thanks loafer , 

All the major weather centres (UK Met Office, ECMWF, NCEP, etc) publish their model output in a standardised format, usually either GRIB or NetCDF. Some of this data is free, some of it costs money (a *lot* of money).

Websites like Meteociel, Wetterzentrale, and Netweather download that data and then render it into charts for plebs like us to view. There are many, many other websites that do the same, but charge for it via subscriptions.

Meteociel and Wetterzentrale are popular here because they are free to use, and it's possible to compare model output from the various weather centres in a single chart format. 

• Like 4