Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick summary, GFS cold and snowy by 144 Para cold and snowy by 144 Ukmo cold and snowy by 144 Gem cold and snowy by 156 ECM cold and VERY snowy by 156.  

OMG I love this post . Shows just what a weird but wonderful bunch coldies are ! Your post in a nutshell sums up just how much this means for cold and snow lovers . Bless you Mike . 

Yes ! Low pressure finally developing over northern Italy . A biting east ne flow heavy snow showers driven much further inland . Lots of instability . Enjoy the snow UK coldies . Really gre

Posted Images

Posted

The gem has improved on its 12z run  and I think it will be superb by 168, but it's  not as good as the GFS and ukmo early on, we still need to remain cautions. We are not there yet.

gemnh-0-132 (1).png

gemnh-1-132.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to Early October
    10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some might call me picky but I don't like gfs 0z so much as I live on the south coast. The cold blast hardly lasts a day before milder med air starts mixing in. 

gfseu-1-168 (3).png

-12c uppers clinging on to Dover but the highs slipping SE 10/02

Screenshot_20210201-042922_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-042932_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Its an absolute snow fest for the snowstarved surely you can't knock this run fella, 20cms yes please! 2-3 days of continuous snow reminds me of 2010!

Screenshot_20210201-042344_Samsung Internet.jpg

Med air was starting to mix in that's all then just in time the wind turns more favourable and puts us into the freezer. This run might even beat 18z in terms of how long the proper cold air sticks around. Brilliant run! 

• Like 3
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Its an absolute snow fest for the snowstarved surely you can't knock this run fella, 20cms yes please! 2-3 days of continuous snow reminds me of 2010!

Screenshot_20210201-042344_Samsung Internet.jpg

Really rooting for you guys down there and also the south coast, I've been very fortunate with 3 decent falls in the Midlands so far

• Thanks 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
    5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

-12c uppers clinging on to Dover but the highs slipping SE 10/02

Screenshot_20210201-042922_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-042932_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hopefully a freezing fog high to preserve our 6 inches of powder snow on the ground. We can wish can't we. 

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
    11 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

The gem has improved on its 12z run  and I think it will be superb by 168, but it's  not as good as the GFS and ukmo early on, we still need to remain cautions. We are not there yet.

The most important part is that it connects the Atlantic Ridge to the Arctic High and introduces the blocking. 

This then eventually forces the low south and by 162/168 we are into the cooler air. 

Interestingly the GEM seems pretty interested in a Greenland High and looks to throw in a slider at Day 8. 

I'd be happy with both evolutions although that slider looks to be heading south of the UK on the GEM. 

On the other hand that GFS run looks very unstable and reeks of troughs a plenty hopefully bringing more organised areas of snow for more Central and West areas. 

Edited by Summerstorm
    • Like 4
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Coventry hits -10 on the mean

I've also added Manchester so Feb can marvel at the clustering

gfs-coventry-gb-525n-15w (11).jpeg

gfs-manchester-gb-535n-2.jpeg

Yes a good few -12c, while i dont expect much ppn here, the fact that -12c is as far West as Manchester, that really bodes well for Dumpings further E and possibly even the SE.

• Like 5
    Posted

Para GFS a little different this morning. Has HP building over the UK a week today and easterly feed getting cut off..A variation of a theme and waaay too far out to be concerned about..

• Like 1
    Posted

Ecm already far better with the placement of the low at 96hrs than yesterdays horror show, pretty much the same as gfs. Ukmo the odd one out with it tracking in the north sea.

ECMOPEU00_96_1.png

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

ECM much better than yesterday. The low is tracking much better. Look at that epic Arctic blocking. How can we avoid some deep cold with this profile. I'm sure the UK will manage

ECH1-120.gif

• Like 1
    Posted

ECM day 5 is better but the limpet low is takes ages to clear but looks like it is getting there.  We need a bit of luck on the phasing of the two Atlantic lows.  

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms

Uppers aren’t anything special at 144 on the ECM though or am I missing something?

26E70706-EE9A-4637-A4F7-9D9939FCC8A0.gif

Posted
    1 minute ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

Uppers aren’t anything special at 144 on the ECM though or am I missing something?

Wait for the next frame, but yes ukmo and GFS is colder by this stage

Posted
    1 minute ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

No not missing anything at all.  Though improved the ECM is still the poorest solution at day 6.  Limpet low still has not cleared!!

• Like 1
    Posted

Its laughable, best overall synoptic pattern of the winter, and the ecm refuses to clear the low from the UK!!

'Stonking' for Scotland and the far north at this stage.

ECMOPEU00_144_1-8.png

• Like 1