Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted

ECM is a pretty much middle ground solution.

Still somewhat more iffy for the south, BUT as explained in my previous post, we have just enough momentum in the UK low to stop the pasing from happening which puts us in a solid position.

Its not a beast (though it does start pulling in a decent easterly for Scotland.) but it is primed for a snow event from the SW/W down the line.

Snow line in this flow should only require -1/2c at 850hpa btw.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T192, and now it has gone so far from what we’ve been seeing from the other models, need to check the T850s too:

1821A0F5-4DAF-42AA-B238-D802B147D966.thumb.png.4871e24a54a6f688bf6935ae4f3e19c3.png2D9F60B8-E63B-4708-A4D9-3894D637744C.thumb.png.f31ce80680c544d41fdef7fb38109e59.png

Marginal for the south only, with plenty waiting in the wings!  

Posted

I think most will take a degree of marginality of what the 0z was showing - zero marginality on the run - just rain.

Still time for these to change a bit as with the overall pattern - best ECM run for at least 2-3 days

• Like 1

Posted

I suppose one thing to note - no North Sea convection by D8, apart from Scotland.

I thought this run was going to solve things, but really it's only slightly firmed up the D4-D5 and the rest is still on the edge. Perhaps I was hoping for too much!

Edited by Man Without Beard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

UKMO would probably be similar maybe even quicker with the cold heading south.

May delay it but could be much snowier. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
6 minutes ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

Hasn’t been that snowy with -7 uppers has been marginal on low ground during the day in some places !

3 minutes ago, MKN said:

Alot of the marginal situations we had that i assume you are referring to im guessing are around the late december cold spell. The sea temps are alot colder now which would help dew points. - 6to 8 850s would be fine for most. 

Sea temps are still slightly above average. The difference is the source of air as discussed earlier. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

If only that damn low would just clear further to the se . And the blocking is now moving too quickly west which reduces any forcing on the pattern further east .

The day 8 saves itself as the block is then pushed further se again by the PV movement but it’s all far too nerve shredding with little margin for error earlier .

An improvement on the morning horror show but really this is edge of the seat stuff !

Certainly is Nick!  I was not expecting that the run would suddenly dump the connection with the arctic high at T168 and build heights over Greenland and even west of it, instead.  So it looks like a completely new evolution, and may therefore fall by the wayside in due course, but it is interesting.  At least ECM is consistent in being inconsistent!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM tonight at the very least delivers some cold weather. Hardly inspiring much confidence with so many little variables that could drastically change the outcome for the U.K.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

That's a snow event if ever i have seen one 

image.thumb.png.b19e99e7b3a83281f89593c032398c8a.png

image.thumb.png.fc70b2ee15d71469c0d287fc1f68b17c.png

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

Sea temps are still slightly above average. The difference is the source of air as discussed earlier. 

Above average or not they are colder by some distance compared to the 1st of jan so they will be much more conducive to snowfall. 

Collage 2021-01-31 18_51_36.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Put it this way would you rather the ecm or colder 850s with a sinking high!!for me ecm all the way!

miles better, EC at 216, deep FI, where as the 00Z had mild SW'lys

ECM1-216.GIF?31-0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think the ECM is having a meltdown . The changes between runs are laughable . Hopefully it might pick an evolution and stick with it before I’m pushing my zimmer frame around ! 

I'm just relieved its backed away from the 00z run Nick.

A big step in the right direction...

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Liking the Navgem tonight .

C8A804CC-2C04-4AF0-AC0A-D964AECF6EBD.png

8D1DB92A-D0ED-450E-90F1-DD3C4B2FEA4F.png

87BD542E-B1DC-4A10-886B-B4DB4194F036.png

6506EEBF-DC7D-494C-93DC-EA48F0F3AB15.png

963CB3F1-8E15-4B1C-8E25-91B93BB04B91.png

C0DB38C1-7941-482B-8CCB-A929766579F4.png

If the Navgem is on board then I calling the cold spell now.

In all seriousness, although the ECM has reverted to a colder solution, still no easterly and still no intra or cross model agreement. I'm thinking possibly by Tuesday or Wednesday as to whether we get the cold spell or not?

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, MKN said:

Above average or not they are colder by some distance compared to the 1st of jan so they will be much more conducive to snowfall. 

Collage 2021-01-31 18_51_36.jpg

It isn’t as clear cut as that, depends what is causing the snow, if it is frontal snow, then yes that might be true near the coast, but if it is convective snow off an easterly, you’d ideally want the sea as warm as possible and the upper (T850) temperature as cold as possible to generate convection.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5