Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

150 miles further se with the shallow low at day 6 and it would have been the star this evening . As it is it’s a bit hair raising especially between day 5 and 6 .

For sure mate.

Its going to be hell waiting for this low to clear esp as time ticks down and folk are patiently waiting for snow!

Certainly if I lived in the NE I would be very excited,and nervy !!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS // T120:

47A69104-7BFC-4A63-918C-1D5455088FA3.thumb.png.c1d38211fcd17cc0aa3d092133bb32c8.png

This looks to be clearing the low without any issues, and good alignment for advection of cold air from the NE with arctic high and atlantic high engaging nicely.  Good run this will be, I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, MJB said:

For the newbies on here , I will translate 

It's not as bad as dazzle makes out , cold is across the UK , just 50-100 miles adjustment south .........which is naff all then ALL in the UK would be laughing .

I detect some IMBYism from someone 

Its one of those situations where your location will massively skew your view of the 12z suite other than the 12z GFS.

Mos of the runs smack of good for cold and snow further north you go. The south much more iffy on this suite of runs, indeed the GEM is downright terrible for the south of England. Does give some snow for the Midlands before it turns to rain again as the warm air comes up, so not total disaster, but not far from it!

Flooding highly likely for the south if the 12z GEM came off, especially with more deep lows coming in post 240hrs.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

To be fair, there is alot of what is called imby preferences as to whether a chart is good or bad, the title of the thread doesnt exactly help. The chances of a true BFTE in my opinion are low, however, the ukmo charts for 120 and 144 are blummin good if you want a significant fall of snow, pretty much anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

All Easterly counties feeling more than a little raw next Sunday if those winds and uppers on the GFS Op come to pass. Would it be dry though? More than enough temperature differential for convective snow showers but one of our more knowledgable members will no doubt tell me whether that's very likely or not in those conditions. Precipitation chart suggests maybe so.

gfseuw-14-168.thumb.png.d78016d9fa7bba44647c2ed23e2c655f.pnggfseuw-1-168.thumb.png.d610cacd2a5937ede15b31d1e1c6f81b.png

gfseuw-2-168.png

Edited by supernova
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I actually prefer GEM over GFS. GEM has a potential slider low which will bring widespread snow to many. GFS (unlike 24hrs ago) is a cold dry easterly with only a bit of snow for the Far East.

971DC0AA-108B-4AF2-AC0C-2E2CE3A810A8.png

I think the output is very subjective because I'm of the opposite view to yourself. Get the cold in ASAP and go from there, the more the trigger low faffs on over the UK, the more likely it will stall and there be no significant easterly. 

The issue I have with the easterly is yes it will be cold but we do need lower thicknesses otherwise convection could be capped. Lots to sort out before we get there though. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

It's not as bad as dazzle makes out , cold is across the UK , just 50-100 miles adjustment south .........which is naff all then ALL in the UK would be laughing .

In my defence, you can’t wonder at a little bit of “imbyism”, as it would be a huge kick in the teeth if the south got 2 solid days of cold rain!

But considering the amazing run it showed yesterday, it’s quite a change.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Absolute mad evening run once again! Some places getting an absolute caking from a possible blizzard! 

Once again, it’s over to the ECM.

Anyone else been looking at that low? screaming “JUST SINK” 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, MJB said:

And again, for newbies: the model-output has no influence whatsoever on what the weather does!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
3 minutes ago, supernova said:

All Easterly counties feeling more than a little raw next Sunday if those winds and uppers on the GFS Op come to pass. Would it be dry though? More than enough temperature differential for convective snow showers but one of our more knowledgable members will no doubt tell me whether that's likely or not in those conditions.

gfseuw-14-168.thumb.png.d78016d9fa7bba44647c2ed23e2c655f.pnggfseuw-1-168.thumb.png.d610cacd2a5937ede15b31d1e1c6f81b.png

gfseuw-2-168.png

-12 should be more than enough for some decent convection. With the North sea around 6 or 7c currently 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It would appear, looking at GEFS that the vast majority do clear this low ..

Indeed, the slower ones do eventually bring in cold uppers.

Thats a big positive for me...

Great ens..the spaghetti ones belly flopping.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

prefer it to 06Z, I think, great chart this! 06 had milder air soon after, EC key tonight, if it goes similar way again, feel it's curtains, GFS back down tomorrow

h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

In my defence, you can’t wonder at a little bit of “imbyism”, as it would be a huge kick in the teeth if the south got 2 solid days of cold rain!

But considering the amazing run it showed yesterday, it’s quite a change.

Yes I get that and there will be swings so far out 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, supernova said:

All Easterly counties feeling more than a little raw next Sunday if those winds and uppers on the GFS Op come to pass. Would it be dry though? More than enough temperature differential for convective snow showers but one of our more knowledgable members will no doubt tell me whether that's likely or not in those conditions.

gfseuw-2-168.png

There be convection because of the cold air over 'warm' seas situation but as the PPN charts show, it will be more shallow convection because the instability won't be as low as it would be if thicknesses and pressure was lower. 

Just think of the last easterly we had, lots of showers but very small in nature and cloud tops quite flat so almost stratus cumulus type rather Cumonimbus type. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

There be convection because of the cold air over 'warm' seas situation but as the PPN charts show, it will be more shallow convection because the instability won't be as low as it would be if thicknesses and pressure was lower. 

Just think of the last easterly we had, lots of showers but very small in nature and cloud tops quite flat so almost stratus cumulus type rather Cumonimbus type. 

The last easterly brought almost constant heavy rain and hail in my location and that was uppers of -7 -8 with a sea temp about 8c. 

Posted
38 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Gfs @150...about where THE ukmo. would be should it run there..a sweep of polar continental airflow...into our shores anyone taking issues with suc h synops should consider taking up chess or some ####....inter flow engagement from the East in early Feb...and we have people sulking....drop me out!!!!

gfs-1-150.png

gfs-0-150.png

Isn’t that-4 850 in the south? Would that still be cold?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

The GFS 12z operational run is one of the slowest to advect in the colder uppers in and the rest of the ensemble suite is still looking fantastic with a mean of -8C by the 7th February. Of course the operational run is run at a higher resolution and could be spotting a new trend, but I still don’t think the situation is as dire as some are making it out to be. The ECM 12z is obviously a crucial run this evening and I’d like to see some movement towards a more favourable evolution. Just my take anyway, and this could obviously still go either way.

15A22386-516E-4D64-BD7E-758EEF50AB97.thumb.png.010ec85573d4970a32663c4a89cf1f2a.png73D1F107-55D5-4170-AAF1-9F15F9A6E7A6.thumb.jpeg.5e8676e946a9027f6f7ed0200fc1c3d0.jpeg

Similar to 06z short ensembles. There’s certainly scope for quicker and deeper cold than the op 

02B1FF5F-BCA8-4FDC-9223-88093FB3BD53.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, ptow said:

Isn’t that-4 850 in the south? Would that still be cold?

Short answer  YES...

• Like 1