Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
19 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Yes, for Scotland.

But for South UK air originates from Med? 

I would still take it

image.thumb.png.c779b506b390134a7df51add59a4690b.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

Watching the gfs this morning , surely this is great for most of the east of the uk , but many on here seem down this morning , don’t get it , unless you live in the west . Also the south east gets hit hard with snow from the front coming up from south east .

Error increases at range. High res models struggle with specifics at short range even. Day 10 charts are synoptics, which by definition means general picture. Consider op against a mean etc, the charts aren't saying to 100 miles exactly where cold or mild air will be, imagine that error increasing with time, so there will be a spread in possible temperature, location and precipitation. Consider any chart as representative of a range, at that point in time, rather than a precise pinpoint bullseye. As the clock counts down you would expect accuracy and precision to increase. Last Sunday showed how difficult it can be.

What does the pattern show? Yes some places may be favoured but you wouldn't put money on it and expect to win a bet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not my favourite evolution but after the last few runs it would be acceptable, an Iceland high slowly sinking:

anim_vyp0.gif

The arctic high has favourable orientation an extra 36h on this run so we get a better cold pooling which is topped up with scraps now and then keeping a relatively cold pool, essential to get anything out of this hiatus from the collapse of the pattern.

I have also noticed on the gfs in the last few runs the Pacific ridge being downplayed and I wonder if the interference on the modelled MJO signal is now being spotted in the data? Also, another run that suggests the signal for the trough to our east does look like it is not going to be anything but transient, so no sustained easterly or NE'ly winter wonderland likely?

Edited by IDO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking at the short ENS rolling out, the OP is one of the slowest to bring the cold in and almost a mild outlier for my location (Middlesbrough) at day 6. There is a 12c spread by 4th Feb, with 850s ranging from 1 to -11, so going to be a while before this sorts itself out.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

Looking at the short ENS rolling out, the OP is one of the slowest to bring the cold in and almost a mild outlier for my location (Middlesbrough) at day 6. There is a 12c spread by 4th Feb, with 850s ranging from 1 to -11, so going to be a while before this sorts itself out.

This is potentially good news.. we want to see a few lines dropping before the op does at day 9 onwards for the southern 3rd..

Can someone please share where we can view spaghetti plots ?

• Like 2

Posted

Like the GFS the GFSp gives snow for eastern areas to end the week..

6F7D4D30-1B56-449F-863D-8D4F8E17936B.png

7B578CDF-819B-459C-B48F-E89487559C69.png

22977730-BB56-47AE-B98C-BB0F34184227.png

0C77E9FC-7B16-4C4D-94EA-C745FEE7E17F.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 8

Posted

It’s not rocket science to appreciate that the manner and speed that the lows clear to our south dictates the 6/9 day period - hopefully tomorrow’s 12z runs will give us some cross model agreement on that 

the period beyond day 9 is a wide envelope indeed .....

• Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

Same for the south. Expect ECM to come on board later, at least for a short easterly starting Friday..

57065F25-2128-42BE-9A4B-463D93841CEF.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

This is potentially good news.. we want to see a few lines dropping before the op does at day 9 onwards for the southern 3rd..

Can someone please share where we can view spaghetti plots ?

Hopefully the link works....as mentioned, op is almost a mild outlier for the period 04th to 06th...

Wetterzentrale.de - Diagrams

Edit: Link doesnt work...google 'gfs wetterzentrale ensembles'

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Same for the south. Expect ECM to come on board later, at least for a short easterly starting Friday..

57065F25-2128-42BE-9A4B-463D93841CEF.jpeg

That plot is precisely what I was hoping to see.. plenty of lines dipping before the op suggesting that that the trough will clear through quicker..

right.. off until the 12z what one is meant to do on a wet lockdown Saturday is the next challenge this morning.. :) nice thread this morning I thought with sound contributions and input. NW at is best :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

The GEFS 06z ensembles are still looking good for a decent cold spell starting on the 6th February. Once again we can only hope that the ECM trends towards this later!

1572942F-8C74-441C-8084-900C23BFC283.thumb.png.dd052205bdd4f01624212eb239731b80.png2F54AAE3-274B-43FF-9420-F15384165DEC.thumb.png.371e2148c73c644b725a053ee17ff6e3.pngE3087879-AA69-4AF7-918D-F2F77DBF40BF.thumb.png.5a390d1891fed2bb41edbe7679b2e1a1.png

• Like 9

Posted
40 minutes ago, IDO said:

I have also noticed on the gfs in the last few runs the Pacific ridge being downplayed and I wonder if the interference on the modelled MJO signal is now being spotted in the data? Also, another run that suggests the signal for the trough to our east does look like it is not going to be anything but transient, so no sustained easterly or NE'ly winter wonderland likely?

That's been the warning recently so wouldn't surprise me sadly.  What can go wrong tends to go wrong these days, but this isn't over just yet I'm sure!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Griff said:

I think I'm going to be surprised... 

gfsnh-0-234 (1).png

gfsnh-1-234 (1).png

Pleasantly I hope

• Like 2