Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
29 minutes ago, jacke said:

Thank you ECM, for non educated lurkers like me a much more helpful response to the current output. Sorry to bang on but there are so many members like me that look to the knowledgeable for guidance. That's what makes this forum so worthwhile.

Agreed..there are many to ignore and certain others to read and digest. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its the shortwave tracking from Greenland SW wards that scuppers the  ecm right to the end of the run.

That's happened quite a few times since 2010.. Maybe someone could correct me, but is it the effects of global warming putting more energy in the system?... Did we have this kind of shortwave drama in the past?

• Like 2

Posted

Final ECM forecast for this afternoon, it’s been resolute in it’s forecast these past few days and still has 5cm across a band from Luton to Birmingham later. Let’s see how well it does this time...

0B645213-E6DF-4893-8DCC-6899C6193839.jpeg

CE3BD9F4-9C04-460E-80A1-287983D9DF29.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Final ECM forecast for this afternoon, it’s been resolute in it’s forecast these past few days and still has 5cm across a band from Luton to Birmingham later. Let’s see how well it does this time...

A usual M4 Northwards/ North of the thames event it was a bit further south with extent until yesterday's runs typical!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

UKMO t144

image.thumb.gif.6e770cb604e9dad921bcf7347bec9a63.gif

GEM t144

image.thumb.png.60235bf5502b73cec2848e0532e16465.png

t168 GEM

image.thumb.png.013c647661b0e1db54c917a173b67e12.png

Going straight for a GHP development 

T204 GEM...GHP...locked in cold

image.thumb.png.3cc7eda79fdad715cb743039d1bc1b26.png

Let’s see what we may be able to pull out of the 00z.

I for one think they look in the same ballpark and the main difference I see is much higher surface Greenie HP ob GEM. But arctic HP shape and position close, trough over UK close, trough SE Greenland close...I think UKMO would go to similar outcome.  Past few days GEM started to wander off nirvana first into just a shoter lived cold pattern, yet I seem to believe that GEM was one of first to launch into nirvana a week ago.  Now it’s returned to Nirvana but it’s settled on GHP and not a Scandi.

ECM and GFS doing the same coming away from nirvana in different ways but ‘just cold’ is in there.

So I’m of the opinion that there’s a lot more milleage in this yet...but remain conscious that coming off the rails can mean a pull away from cold.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

That's happened quite a few times since 2010.. Maybe someone could correct me, but is it the effects of global warming putting more energy in the system?... Did we have this kind of shortwave drama in the past?

The shortwave drama has been part and parcel of many dramas here so it’s nothing new.  Of course sea temps do have an effect on the development of these . The problematic shortwave remains stuck there however because of the lack oomph in the jet and the weakness of the initial blocking to the ne .

A strong block wouldn’t be messed around by that shortwave . The problem since the start of this current drama has been the slow filling in situ of the troughing over the UK. Most of the energy has headed south and not se .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Kentspur said:

A usual M4 Northwards/ North of the thames event it was a bit further south with extent until yesterday's runs typical!

Similar to gfs op:

anim_els7.gif

Runs north, hits the cold air, stalls and retreats south weakening by the time it hits the M4!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

GEM I have no faith in this mornings run- massive cold outlier near the end I know we don't often mention GEMs ensembles but think this is important as its been mentioned how a good a run it was earlier

Screenshot_20210130-082258_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
21 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Those charts look great but I can't see any settling snow here, if it does it will have to intensify dramatically 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, jacke said:

Thank you ECM, for non educated lurkers like me a much more helpful response to the current output. Sorry to bang on but there are so many members like me that look to the knowledgeable for guidance. That's what makes this forum so worthwhile.

Crewe’s response was just as knowledgeable!

• Like 8

Posted

A continuation of uncertainty in the charts,patient’s required could drag out possibly Monday next week

before some kind of clarification.Always difficult to get an easterly set up,my take good chance this

time but of course nothing guaranteed with the weather.

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, MJB said:

Those charts look great but I can't see any settling snow here, if it does it will have to intensify dramatically 

DPs forecast to drop throughout the day...give it an hour or so ...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

DPs forecast to drop throughout the day...give it an hour or so ...

Any decent settling snow is unlikely though Tim

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS ensembles highlighting the risk of some proper cold but also the uncertainty. Op a little late bringing the cold in further south, then goes mild towards the end. One positive is the drying trend associated with the colder flow from the 5th.

spacer.png

Control a little quicker brining the cold south.

spacer.png

GEM needs a gold medal.

spacer.png

Edited by chris55
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Really poor levels of consistency even at around 5/6 days out. The fact that the ECM/UKMO are similar is probably more a fluke than anything else because neither is similar to previous runs, which were miles apart from each other previously.

It does feels like a case of slowly slowly as  the process of patterns are beginning to emerge and even settle thankfully..... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

I think all the dramas ups and downs in and outs over the last few weeks with all models can be summed up in one small precise sentence..........They ain't got a clue.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

So GEM goes from zero to hero again from amongst the grinch bunch this morning.

image.thumb.png.c5a7b9718365fd91ea0cc9cb051a5e6f.pngimage.thumb.png.78a55d44b0ca7b315240bbf083b28788.png

More twists and turns to come, I say look at the ENS, still trending colder.

image.thumb.png.85df74d57636c55ebe2d052c02ddfca0.pngimage.thumb.png.d063b78a0d93e05eb92d60f5f417bedb.png

• Like 3

Posted

I just dont seen the icon and ecm snow events for tuesday lasting!!gfs has not backed this up what so ever!!!expecting the ecm and icon to come into line with gfs in the next couple of runs!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

I just dont seen the icon and ecm snow events for tuesday lasting!!gfs has not backed this up what so ever!!!expecting the ecm and icon to come into line with gfs in the next couple of runs!!!

LOL

Last night you said ECM was the top model

C.S

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Aye, GFS continues to bring in the Atlantic, can see meto warnings dropped mon to wed, away from far north, 9 degrees over our areas

ukmaxtemp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just viewed the models the 0z's this morning...give me strength...going to be a big bust for some mslp projections and some pro met men. Probably a continuation of the same rubbish I've experienced and continue too and that's flooding of rain 2.0 (cold variety).

ECM always seems to find a way to blocking the floodgates of cold  as I've said before the potential is there but that's all it's been.

• Like 2