Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

But UKMO ,GEM ,ICON all follow EC ..

I know but if things can go wrong they will. Been here before too many times. The low filling around the UK has been a very familiar theme this winter.

Posted
7 minutes ago, JimBob said:

So yesterday ECM was clearly broke and GFS was the most reliable, today it’s switched!  Seems like people are taking what they want from whichever is the best model, rather than looking at the trends?

2 minutes ago, DCee said:

Another battle of the models I see!

ECM will likely follow the GFS, then both back track a little. So in conclusion no Easterly looks like a very possible outcome, more than 50:50.

One positive, mid January it was the ECM at closer range that backed off the gfs colder solution. Because ukmo never went out as far, publicly, they both supported each other and ecm came to fruition. 

GEM charts look messy but 850s surprisingly cold, so that's good. 

Icon looks very cold. 

TLDR more runs needed, keep watching

(dismiss nothing) 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, DCee said:

I know but if things can go wrong they will. Been here before too many times. The low filling around the UK has been a very familiar theme this winter.

Oh I dont disagree.

I'm a fully paid up member of the expect the worst club myself.

6z will have any new data so I'm hoping GEFS flip back.

Really the timescales involved and we still can't put this Easterly to bed...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think it would be wrong to ignore the GFS because the set up is very finely balanced . Small changes can make a big difference here. However the model is on its own and lets hope it stays that way !

Whats looking more likely is any easterly will likely come after some initial Atlantic v Block battle .

And this isn’t an easterly in the true sense in terms of a Scandi block , ordinarily you wouldn’t be able to advect that deeper cold west with the main block so far away .

This is why the initial Arctic high was so important as that forced the deep cold into Scandi .

Then you really just needed the southerly tracking jet to help pull that west .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
2 minutes ago, DCee said:

Another battle of the models I see!

ECM will likely follow the GFS, then both back track a little. So in conclusion no Easterly looks like a valid outcome.

Based on what ? experience ?...........GFS has been consistant for days showing an easterly then flips as soon as get to the semi reliable time frame .....ECM has slowly smelt the coffee as we have got closer and showing dream charts over last 2 runs .....its 5 models (inc gfsp) v  1 My money is on the majority .expect the gfs to back track at 10am!!

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

But UKMO ,GEM ,ICON all follow EC ..

True, but often  the model which has the worst outcome is correct. Just the way it goes for us in the UK.

I'm still 50% confident that we will get some deep cold though - so I'm staying quite optimistic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

To me it’s not about who’s right gfs or ecm it’s more about the fact that pretty much all models are very similar to the ecm rather than gfs, so as it stands most of them get the cold all the way down the country....and as they say get the cold in and the .......❄️

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Blessed Weather said:

A comparison of the UKMO, ECM and GFS at t144 shows the GFS substantially different from what the Euros are showing, to the extent that you're left wondering what it's doing with this run. The biggest difference being the ridge into Scandi with the trough pushed way east by GFS whereas UKMO and ECM stick with the trough. GFS could be right...... but against both euros??

UKMO 402492049_AUKMO.thumb.GIF.78804f1bb05e8562ea994bec9963103d.GIF ECM 1291620453_AECM.thumb.GIF.3b37a9ef4a1a2a752bfa730fd6036ffb.GIF GFS 277777358_AGFS.thumb.png.de4489b9d0b1cba3ebda6de95573350c.png

I would say 99% of this community are praying GFS is wrong!!

Just look at whats is on offer if GFS is wrong.

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

True, but often  the model which has the worst outcome is correct. Just the way it goes for us in the UK.

I'm still 50% confident that we will get some deep cold though - so I'm staying quite optimistic.

50% hardly constitutes confident !!

• Like 3

Posted

If one model wasn't going to be on board, I guess we'd rather it be the GFS than the ECM?

We were in the other boat only 24 hours ago. Progress. Keep your positive pants on. Says the guys with a degree in multimedia computing and nothing to do with meteorology.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The good thing is the GFS has another 2 runs to come up with the right (cold) answer before next ECM run!

image.thumb.png.5df3e17683d973696084ee3d6681c021.png ( ECM) Lovely Jubbly! ☃️

image.thumb.png.e2230c7f7b5f5d9b656f85a02725ec8f.png (GFS) Miserable bugger!

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

looks like the gfs has been to a party and is now in complete isolation!! GFS was the first model I viewed with my coffee at 7:45am and I almost made it Irish as I got that sinking feeling. I’ll be honest I was pleasantly shocked when one by one all other models in the GEM, ICON, UKMO and the ECM showed the cold spell still very much on! Surely the gfs will begin to tow the line starting with the 06z? Those 4 can’t all be wrong at such short range surely?

D2EE96FC-CE09-4AEC-B2E7-5E1D32C761BE.thumb.png.269f7ed73c72ad4c2b532c3df17cdbf8.png9837288B-BC5E-46E1-B9AF-DA33DDE19E1A.thumb.png.e3778ef27cc3747a8f15c61abfa61cf9.png580CF715-0797-47FC-A010-646CDCBE16A7.thumb.gif.4770fc4d6f979ace413fb38ff1701e62.gif5E14EB52-D0B9-46BD-8CAA-490B7A75BDAC.thumb.gif.49e682d3fdb0da9677ae9122dc0febee.gif

4A4B7FEF-5020-4F18-AAD8-CA1C9D014C56.thumb.png.47b008fbdb66d18b75550f51befae949.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Evidently Jim Bob you haven’t look at models the consensus is cold easterly.

Depends on your local perspective I suppose, not much consensus on anything south of the Midlands. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM ensembles aren’t interested in any deepish low tracking up the east coast . Not a single member , 50 ensembles and the control say no to the GFS

So that's GFS and it's pack.  Against UKM the ECM and it's merry band of 50. 

For cold we are 3-0 up with 10 to play.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

So that's GFS and it's pack.  Against UKM the ECM and it's merry band of 50. 

For cold we are 3-0 up with 10 to play.

That made giggle !

I went to a Man City Bournemouth game in the late 1980s ,City led 3-0 in the second half, it finished 3-3!

Now I'm having terrible thoughts!!

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowmut said:

The good thing is the GFS has another 2 runs to come up with the right (cold) answer before next ECM run!

image.thumb.png.5df3e17683d973696084ee3d6681c021.png Lovely Jubbly! ☃️

image.thumb.png.e2230c7f7b5f5d9b656f85a02725ec8f.png Miserable bugger!

During which it will move to ecm then ECM will drop the cold 

• Like 1