Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Well if ecm is the worse outcome at 72 hours with that low over the uk just imagine how much on an upgrade it would be if it was to go further south in future runs!!

Be careful.  The best outcomes are always from high risk high reward situations, the safe scenarios don’t generally deliver anything spectacular. We are in one of those high risk high reward scenarios right now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
5 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

What I don’t understand is why don’t fronts push from east to west at all?? Always reach midlands at best in an easterly...well mostly 

Same with fronts coming in from West usually. Not just with snow. The Pennines take alot of the precipitation and turns more patchy for the north east. 

Posted

The problem with that ECM run is it’s like being shown a ribeye steak and getting a  burger. Would be nice but it will never evolve to being that good (if we’re honest we all know that right !). Having said that even downgrades from there would still be very good .. 

• Like 1

Posted

ECM mean T144, and this has got to be good:

D0D9E030-A167-431E-931F-7B028A04CEC8.thumb.png.b2b7a8f2da3ea381927b7c3ab0dbc5e8.png84B9A647-9DDE-4513-94DF-7AF7322AEB2A.thumb.png.2e7a05f371e62a776052dee7c9d57176.png

Uncertainty distorts the picture later on so will wait to see the clusters before making comment on the later evolution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Main thing of note to me of the 12z runs is the coming together on sending some cold air down west of Iberia which then initiates a typical sequence of development and northeast movement of the trough there.

Due to starting so far south it has a good chance of being east of us by the time it’s far enough north for the warm sector to reach the latitude of the south coast.

BUT it’s essential that the low over the UK beforehand is in the dissipation stage by the time that low to the south makes its move. Then it unravels into the circulation and the very cold air cuts in behind.

The GFS 06z failed to do that. On the other hand, the GEM 12z didn’t, despite having the strongest low on the preceding Friday, which really strains the logic...!

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Well if ecm is the worse outcome at 72 hours with that low over the uk just imagine how much on an upgrade it would be if it was to go further south in future runs!!

That’s the thing, still room for upgrades at close range. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

First sign of a downgrade perhaps...get out of here...the op is higher resolution so its onto something.. That mean is still solid though and I'm expecting it to drop down.

graphe0_00_271_95___.png

Rock solid like Mike Poole so rightly says out through next week with good agreement from both the op and mean of it being very much colder..even beyond the cold theme looks to extend.. Im very happy with the output....forget about downgrades,I'm expecting another boom moment from the 18s.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, MATTWOLVES said:

First sign of a downgrade perhaps...get out of here...the op is higher resolution so its onto something.. That mean is still solid though and I'm expecting it to drop down.

graphe0_00_271_95___.png

Yes, Matt, but the op was such a ridiculously cold run that it had to be an outlier on the mean. I think the middle part of that plot is more telling - consistency towards cold.  Reliable on ensembles is generally a couple of days longer than the ops so is good to see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
7 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

No pc mid day fri 29 jan-mid day mon 1 February 2021

ec-gfs for mon 1 feb and noaa 31 jan eve

ec-gfs both shows simila flow from e Russia into e’ern n America but differences in how they treat the trough in that area and also into atlantic they differ, ec shows no sign ridging which gfs does into Iceland/Greenland, nor does ec have any troughing into Europe which gfs has

noaa far w lost its marked ridge west of w coast, main n anerica trough is now well e of position e days ago, higher value +ve heights e’ern Canada, some kind of troughing e from this area with ridging over top of it w’wards(!), still v little flow over uk, what there is showing n of w minor troughing into Europe and now little signal for +ve heights s’ern Europe or ridging from azores, both showed on fri chart; 8-14  is again developing the far w ridge with the troughpushing it west of this also reasonably marked; both too far w, in my opinion at the moment, to cause any marked trough/ridge development downwind, there is some contour signal for diging not totally different to gfs with a then fairly flat rather slack w’ly into the uk on this chart.

This post is simply a holding/information set of data from various 6-10 day charts for me having had no access for 3 days.

Differences in the various outputs suggest there is not final decision in the later stages of the 6-14 day weather yet, other than it does look to be a cold rather than a mild outlook.

Ecmwf charts

a)     for period 7-11 feb initial marked troughing from ne almost flattened out in period:still fairly complex surface low wnw-ese atlantic into nw Europe; -5 c 850 mb over whole uk retreats away back to borders in period

for 1-11 feb inc shows 850 mb values start >0 C far sw England and wales, by about 8/9 th it has -5 and below from thames up to  n Ireland, the -10 almost into e Scotland, by the 10th the coldest air is back around the Scottish border.

Being out of the loop for 3 days it is not easy to see where the probable thrust is coming beyond day 10 to me. So I will have to see another couple of days before I feel confident in what seems most likely.

These are ECMWF 500 and surface charts on this link

http://www2.wetter3.de/Fax/00_ECMWF_ENS_p0_500hPa+144_240.gif

and another link into ECMWF charts

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/

Hi John. Why is there a spike in the green line near to us? I’ve not seen this before. TIA

6C3C3665-91F3-4FA1-A8E4-602258002AFF.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T240, this just the most incredible run I’ve seen, beats last night’s pub run and that is saying something:

7EDF6E04-9835-4201-984E-15759215A8F6.thumb.jpeg.8b23c960ecb39bc64a5184ea554d6818.jpeg3ED9F929-0D89-46F2-A62E-1E166947347B.thumb.jpeg.7c8382760109515a1b2f5b2583e6c86e.jpeg

You need to re-draw your direction arrow on the 240hrs pressure chart a little further south than shown, then you would score a perfect 10 for artistic merit.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

graphe0_00_271_95___.png

That will do.. pretty much on the mean until day 7 which to my mind supports the 1st phases have decent creditabilty.. splits away on its merry way day 8 but that’s fine for now we can work on that..:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Strong agreement on the ECM ensembles for the easterly coming in.

Thats not to say all the runs go for a easterly mind you, some struggle to move the LP out of the way quickly enough before its absorbed into the broader flow which prevents much of a cold air push. However even those runs are not without interest as most of them bring a marginal snow event up from the S/SW.

Overall though a solid set of ensembles.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Main thing of note to me of the 12z runs is the coming together on sending some cold air down west of Iberia which then initiates a typical sequence of development and northeast movement of the trough there.

Due to starting so far south it has a good chance of being east of us by the time it’s far enough north for the warm sector to reach the latitude of the south coast.

BUT it’s essential that the low over the UK beforehand is in the dissipation stage by the time that low to the south makes its move. Then it unravels into the circulation and the very cold air cuts in behind.

The GFS 06z failed to do that. On the other hand, the GEM 12z didn’t, despite having the strongest low on the preceding Friday, which really strains the logic...!

I confess the evening models generally look very good but I'm still concerned.

JMA goes wrong here:

image.thumb.png.8c646dcf36348c6d652ace39b8dfc4f7.png

The phasing of energy from north and west prevents the trough exiting cleanly to the south and we get stuck with LP close to or over the British Isles.

GEM isn't too bad at T+180 but fails because the trough orients poorly and then stops the Scandinavian heights spreading south west towards the British Isles - that failure allows the Iberian HP to build in, the trough aligns positively and we're stuffed.

image.thumb.png.36ee683292f708516ff52f09b6abad66.png

These are nitpicks but a concern. Have to say, the ECM Control is a thing of beauty keeping the south cold or very cold right through to T+360.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

ECM weekly  Whooosh!

Weeks 1,2 and 3

20210201200407-274ed4b0eca5180702fdc507690325d75319efaa.png

20210201200414-93996e7af64f3677345f0bc0cfb53bf482aebac4.png

20210201200418-a1b82b9e322b1b9e233c0b10d68bbfd3f457f3ee.png

200 (2).gif

Omg it’s relentless I forgot that Monday’s and Thursday have the weeklies as a Brucey bonus between ecm mean and the start of the 18z suite......

• Like 3

Posted

Clusters!!

T120-t168:

642FC7B8-5B2C-4634-8A02-A1469568152F.thumb.png.158057b6aac44b0c0b00665db144678b.png

My take:

Cluster 1, troublesome low seeps away SE and allows clean easterly to develop. 21 members.

Cluster 2, troublesome low remains annoying. 18 members.

Cluster 3, troublesome gone south early, undercut of next one,  maybe a bit like GFS, 12 members.

But, and here’s the thing, it is not at all clear to me which would bring the best longer term cold prospects.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
1 hour ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Gfs 12z sonic boooom ❄❄

UKmo 12z  sonic boooooom ❄

Ecm 12z sonic boooooom ❄❄

You wouldn't think I'm in my mid 40s

Excited

Budge over mate I’m mid 50’s and I’m already checking my Fitbit pulse rate which is increasing by the hour

• Like 6