Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
17 minutes ago, GSP said:

We are going to need bigger shovels!

I walked straight past the snow shovels in Sainsburys last week.......Was it a mistake....? (I do own a shovel lol, just not a snow shovel)

My sensible side says there is no way this is going to verify but im actually starting to wonder....

Edited by chris55
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, mulzy said:

EPS mean days 6-8 cold - coldest this season I would say.

I just want to see that line graph come out now and hopefully the black line is not taking a solo trip down..somewhere in the blue area will be fine.. and hopefully a snug fit.. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
13 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Spot on. Sensible approach. Very pragmatic, thoughtful. Smart. 

Not sure you fit in though.

seriously though. Sensible approach.

I don't feel sensible about all this! Trust me on that, feel like telling the neighbor's cat after making an announcement at the local co-OP.

Seriously though,

***I have been burned too many times and I have to keep a little bit of myself back to stop it happening again.

*** Line borrowed from 'First Dates' 

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

So good !

6266EBD2-BEF9-4998-BFD5-B7FE5636A10C.thumb.png.d52b5c01e4876696f48999e8e7e90577.png

If I read that correctly that has the vast bulk of the uk at least 6 below average.. think our average in the south at least is 6 this time of year.. ice day?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The great thing about this cold spell, IF it comes off, is that it is in early February rather than late Feb/early March like the last BFTE. It was a bit bizarre having sub zero temperatures and heavy snow showers only for much of it to melt when the sun came out. That did diminish our snow depths until later in the week when we had a lot more cloud cover and the snow stuck around. 

Feb 1991 has always been the benchmark for me, and that was 30 years ago to the day of when this potential cold spell could kick into gear. Great memories:

BBDCD97A-58E6-4554-AEF6-C88E68D495B0.thumb.png.1b13198148763ef57112783b1e160d9a.pngFAD27748-54DA-46E3-835C-4E6178FF0F61.thumb.png.13d3111f6311ce6e219c1ff9490f4efa.pngA15FC861-73C3-44B3-B527-1251B0975738.thumb.png.b3a6f74a29369a27b3f26a44390108f2.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Spurs, 3 goals? Didn’t realise we had to go back that far for a run like this.

Ended 3-3 let’s hope today’s 12z runs don’t do a spursey and snatch defeat from jaws of victory

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
52 minutes ago, kold weather said:

192hrs ECM is again utterly sensational. 

Really is about as good as it gets without having a super cold PV lobe involved with proceedings.

I just wish the 72-120hrs was a bit more comfortable and not so ropey, then I'd be all in on the ramping.

@kold weather thanks for the fantastic posts. For newbies what are the areas we need to be watching with regard to 72-120 hrs please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
Just now, birdman said:

Personally I'm not buying into any of this. Based on absolutely no science at all other than the models are all treacherous ********! Prepare to be stabbed in the back. At least I can be pleasantly surprised if anything interesting does materialise

We are looking at day 5-6 plus for the good stuff, so that's a very sensible position to take. Still lots of scatter on the GFS ensembles, which means confidence in the operational run is low.

The positioning of the cold flow is still finely balanced for the UK. 

The persistence of the broader pattern overall is very positive, but we need to wait a few days yet.

I'd say odds of a very cold easterly next weekend around a 66/33 in favour.

• Like 1

Despite my thoughts that a severely cold and snowy spell is the last thing we really need and it’s hard not to get excited by that ECM 12z. It’s really would produce a winter wonderland! 

Posted

What I don’t understand is why don’t fronts push from east to west at all?? Always reach midlands at best in an easterly...well mostly 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

If I read that correctly that has the vast bulk of the uk at least 6 below average.. think our average in the south at least is 6 this time of year.. ice day?

No that’s T850s here’s 2M temp anomaly roughly 5C below average for a mean a week out that’s very impressive.

ECA684DA-B6D2-40A2-98B7-8FFF877F0B21.thumb.png.27aa578329b76b3a17e907d4332991a9.png3CD25390-C69F-470E-82F4-6128DB79C66E.thumb.png.713308b193b9927e31a675142773793f.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Sensational output tonight, still think we'd all do well to exercise a degree of caution and manage expectations until its showing this at t72. That said, I'll be having a cheeky glass of port tonight and ordering some snowboard grease.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, WINTRY WALES said:

What I don’t understand is why don’t fronts push from east to west at all?? Always reach midlands at best in an easterly...well mostly 

Possibly high ground  the east is very flat  hits midlands  which as higher ground  then off course the Welsh mountains   destroys all the precipitation 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

A time for some reflection on the latest models and wait for further runs before we start getting the snow shovels out in southern England. The focus is definitely going to be that LOW to our SW. 

image.png