Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 minute ago, Man Without Beard said:

Incredible charts this afternoon (apart from GEM after D9!) 

I'm still uncomfortable though. Do I just forget the 06Z run now? Although the GEFS mean is good, there's actually a lot of synoptic scatter by Sunday. Also, that snowy low needs to sit perfectly to achieve maximum snow, but any further north and it's rain for the south.

I don't think I've changed my personal view on the easterly in the last 72 hours despite all the shenanigans - I put it at 80% for an easterly in the north, and 60% for an easterly in the south. Odds slightly in favour, but it could still go wrong given all else going on around.

I agree.

That "6z run" is still in the GEFS, just not as the operational run.

Interesting thing about the GEM in FI is the development of heights (Arctic High extending) between Northern Scandinavia and Nova Zembla. That's new.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, not2bad said:

Hi All,

First time post here, hope you all are well. I'm watching the developments closely for the weekend, am cautiously optimistic but as ever things can change very quickly.

Stay on the cautious side and welcome to the mad house enjoy 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFSP precip for 162, 168 and 174.  Very snowy picture for the eastern side of the country.  Too far out to be anything other than a watching brief, but we're not talking deep FI anymore, so my confidence 'Snowometer' has increased this afternoon to 60%.  The ECM may get me to 70% ???

image.thumb.png.5f83607f64a2be9a669ab4dd813f7f29.pngimage.thumb.png.7df8ca6e2434f94ac554ab10a135f6e0.pngimage.thumb.png.9a26f473c02682bfc328fb334a68b01c.png    

• Like 5

Posted

xx_model-en-330-0_modgbr_2021020112_144_18_108.thumb.png.6e49359874a5c8108610bd803398895b.png

UKMO snow depth at +144 (probably take amounts with a pinch of salt as I think these run with a 1:10 ratio)

If you want to view them yourself here's the link: 

complete_model_modgbr_2021020112_144_18_
METEOLOGIX.COM

UKMO (6 days) - Current forecast valid for 02/07/2021, 12:00pm of parameter "Snow depth", model chart for map "United Kingdom"

It's 24 hours later we would ideally want to see. Terrific 12z output so far, though as has already been caveatted, everything has to go perfectly to achieve an output like the 3 higher res GFS outputs this afternoon. Here's to hoping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Well the crayons are back out again and everything is good with the world ...look at those depths in East Anglia ..All just for fun Fun of course ...

A8741372-FD03-40BC-A9CA-6282DBC185B4.png

C6D3AACD-4BC1-4DEF-B306-B58D859EA4C6.png

265D443A-DD8B-4952-88B2-B9382EF4BA88.png

... but still firmly locked in the drawer for the far South West...??‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

This will be very interesting now.  GFS and UKMO have been holding firm, there’s signs that ECM has been pulled towards them moreso than an edge from the others towards it.  On board tonight....I think it’ll just edge a touch more....and I think it will take the others to have the t120-144 at t72 before it joins fully.....it’s nice to be cautious

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, TallPaul said:

... but still firmly locked in the drawer for the far South West...??‍♂️

I live in the far south west and back in 2018 bfte i watched the showers look like they were going to miss us and then we got some. This run looks more favourable to my untrained eye.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Well after the news just now I hope I get to see some snow before the South African variant gets me!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

Well after the news just now I hope I get to see some snow before the South African variant gets me!!!

Well fingers crossed and prayer to God that a severe cold spell could kill and get rid of this deadly horrendous pandemic

• Like 2

Posted

Feb 91 - anyone now the precise dates and able to dig out a chart - I do remember it well and was getting grumpy as that winter progress thinking its been 4 years since 87 and last blast - Oh if only I knew then that 4 years was nothing....sighs.............

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

No part of the country will miss out if the GFS 12Z is right, I'm sure of that.

I wouldn't bank on it. Stoke never gets Snow in an easterly lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

GFS(P) still going for it at 210z

gfs-0-210.png

No more optimistic posts from me until 48z (he hopes)

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowking said:

xx_model-en-330-0_modgbr_2021020112_144_18_108.thumb.png.6e49359874a5c8108610bd803398895b.png

UKMO snow depth at +144 (probably take amounts with a pinch of salt as I think these run with a 1:10 ratio)

If you want to view them yourself here's the link: 

complete_model_modgbr_2021020112_144_18_
METEOLOGIX.COM

UKMO (6 days) - Current forecast valid for 02/07/2021, 12:00pm of parameter "Snow depth", model chart for map "United Kingdom"

It's 24 hours later we would ideally want to see. Terrific 12z output so far, though as has already been caveatted, everything has to go perfectly to achieve an output like the 3 higher res GFS outputs this afternoon. Here's to hoping.

Jesus Kris that will go down like a fart in a space suit.

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Andypvfc said:

I wouldn't bank on it. Stoke never gets Snow in an easterly lol

You've done alright with your north westly, and sliders this winter - dont be greedy 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Just as a matter of interest GFS ensembles (Not a doomsday forecast or anything) have us a mean Westerly flow by day 10 with only very weak blocking to the N.

gens-31-1-240.png

I have a feeling that will prove pretty inaccurate.

Other than the N it looks as though most interest for snow chances will begin next weekend as the Easterly flow strengthen and low pressure undercuts from the W.

How much that low develops and how far N it gets is going to change day to day.

It may end up moving through the continent and not directly affecting us or it could move E/NE bringing heavy snow and widespread disruption.

Posted
6 minutes ago, seandonghue said:

Nice northeaster be good for you guys, In Dublin here , we can have a thing Called .' Isle of Man shadow 'That can upset streamers  moving in across the Iriag Sea Dublin Region

Your best wind direction I think would be an ene in this set up as that gives the longest sea track to develop those snow showers . I can se a ne would be more of a problem . It’s quite rare to get the depth of cold we could see that far west .