Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
10 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

By the same token nor is a Scandi High any guarantee (i'm thinking the dreaded 'no mans land' scenario for one). I'd wager Scandi highs probably produce way less than a proper Greenland High.

I remember a time in the 70s when I would walk to the library trying to will it to snow.  It was certainly cold enough but all we got in forecasts and, from my memory of that time, all we saw was flurries of snow.... you could comfortably count the flakes as they fell but they neither wet the ground nor changed its colour.  I remember it as a very frustrating time and can only imagine we were under the influence of a Scandi high at the time but the pressure was too high to generate any convection.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
17 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

It's about 2-3 millibars, less deep, I think we are starting to lose the plot with this micro analysis

Where are you getting the ECM 6z data from? I thought it was hidden behind paywalls.

Posted

Whilst we await 12z.. anxiously may I add! 
my weather apps(not to be taken literally) have now adjusted for barely above freezing come the weekend with snow appearing.. as unlikely as it may happen like this, it’s nice to see❄️

D32EBED7-0A9B-468E-8DCD-EED929C28D72.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Whilst we await 12z.. anxiously may I add! 
my weather apps(not to be taken literally) have now adjusted for barely above freezing come the weekend with snow appearing.. as unlikely as it may happen like this, it’s nice to see❄️

D32EBED7-0A9B-468E-8DCD-EED929C28D72.jpeg

Also 4 reputation away from 1000❄️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
16 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

By the same token nor is a Scandi High any guarantee (i'm thinking the dreaded 'no mans land' scenario for one). I'd wager Scandi highs probably produce way less than a proper Greenland High.

10 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

Not true, you are probably thinking of a Russian high, which can be a party spoiler.  If you look at history, you will find Scandi highs are generally involved in Uk winter freeze ups.

To get the coldest T2m's and T850's a well developed Scandi High is necessary in most cases.

Many of the best Greenland Highs of the past actually developed out of Scandi Highs that moved to Greenland through retrogression.

Most memorable cold spells that are mentioned almost daily in this thread came to us through Scandi Highs.
Think late December 1962, late January 1947, February 1956, February 1991, to name a few.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Complete scatter after 5th Feb. I doubt we will be any the wiser until that LP sorts itself out later this week.

image.thumb.png.38f638d37b35e57c524689430f8d815c.png

Edited by Notty
Corrected
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

METO not expecting any mild victory anytime soon.

"The tussle of air masses over the UK continues this week and it looks like the cold air will be victorious... eventually"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Where are you getting the ECM 6z data from? I thought it was hidden behind paywalls.

It is,  but this website gives us a snippet.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Weather for UK, Ireland and the world. Sailing, Marine Weather, Weather maps, radar, satellite, climate, historic weather data, information about meteorology, reports, weather warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

NCEP have approved the GFS V16 and last I saw weren't expecting any science updates. What's caused the delay, as I understand it, is the IT stability test that they run which has to go for 30 days, but stopped part way through during January so will need re-starting again across another 30 days. 

There's loads of info here:

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
45 minutes ago, IDO said:

I got this from my own research from verification stats, for instance:

cor_day10_T_P500_G2NHX.thumb.png.cfd06d41d86712d27671715cf05d4a77.png1416202772_cor_day10_HGT_P500_G2NHX(3).thumb.png.dd2f1e62f377bc3f8b90593c79fdaf87.png

At d10 on 12z verifications the gfsP ranks below the older less upgraded version. That should not happen with a large 31-day sample from a "better" model! If you look at the reason you can see runs that fall out of standard deviation, for example on heights, a 0.3 when the average is 0.6. This occurred too many times for it to be just random, and it is fair to conclude that in certain situations the model misfires. They need to correct this and in January when I mentioned this, other members said it was due to come on line in February! I said that this would not be allowed to happen and it was obvious that there was issues. So I am not surprised that there has been a significant delay.

NB. It seems to perform better earlier, say at d5, which is expected as it is an upgrade!

Thanks. Interesting that NOAA stats show v16 better than current v15 GFS at Day 5 but your verification stats suggest it's worst at Day 10. I also note that the current v15 GFS performs better than ECM at Day 10 in one of your charts. Have you a link to those graphs/stats as I don't appear to have it saved (pm if you like IDO). Maybe best if we move on then, rather than clog the thread further.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
5 minutes ago, Paul said:

NCEP have approved the GFS V16 and last I saw weren't expecting any science updates. What's caused the delay, as I understand it, is the IT stability test that they run which has to go for 30 days, but stopped part way through during January so will need re-starting again across another 30 days. 

There's loads of info here:

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

That was last updated on Jan 27 and says that implementation date is March 2021. This has been superseded by what @Blessed Weather posted, a delay until December 2021! The Para has been going again for a few days and I suspect that it will be running simultaneously through the next nine months or more with the current gfs?

Link for verifications: https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Icon delaying the cold, it’s definitely not here by Friday even in Scotland - hoping the UKMO and GFS don’t start that game even more!! 

51D5BD03-2D16-425F-BA0B-A84DA350ABCB.png

52E173B5-31D9-42DB-9DF5-166BDC1F359D.png

• Like 1

Posted

Judah Cohen just posted these which might cheer up a few south of the wall... 

Link to tweet is in the tweet thread as usual. 

20210201_151214.jpg

20210201_151222.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Weathizard said:

High pressure nudging in from the south east ruining everything, how is it that as soon as the ECM hops on board the steadfast GFS jumps off? This always seems to happen.

I have noticed this before also. Perhaps in complicated set ups with conflicting signals, the EC with its higher resolution and larger number of vertical layers may be seeing potential knife edge situations and resolving them at an earlier timeframe than before GFS spots the same scenario. Only a theory, i have no data proof.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Icon weakens the low and is better with the Scandi trough extention but it still takes until 132 to get the cold in.

iconnh-0-132 (1).png

iconnh-1-132.png

Better than the crappy gfs 06z!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Icon weakens the low and is better with the Scandi trough extention but it still takes until 132 to get the cold in.

iconnh-0-132 (1).png

iconnh-1-132.png

This setup looks very much like UKMO this morning. Especially to the North, in the Atlantic and the ESB.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

What we want from the gfs to stop a total fail is how the 0z modelled that low at d6:

0z>370819662_ink(8).thumb.png.ccdc11d938fbbf7efc50216b006fd04c.png06z>gfseu-0-138.thumb.png.43427b66a523d7eaf17f3d20f6fe4328.png

The gfs 06z did not ride the ridge and merged with the sinking low and blew it up killing the pattern. The ICON is not as progressive with that low but sends it in that direction (as 06z). It is still recoverable but complicates the pattern, whereas the GFS 0z was clean and will let the easterly arrive unencumbered.

Edited by IDO

Posted
18 minutes ago, Griff said:

Judah Cohen just posted these which might cheer up a few south of the wall... 

Link to tweet is in the tweet thread as usual. 

20210201_151214.jpg

20210201_151222.jpg

What is that showing - temp departure from ave?