Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
3 minutes ago, MR_E said:

Is there potential in these models of a historic cold spell? Something in line with some of the famous winters of past?

Potential yes, probable no. It's one run, we need to see this pattern repeating on future GFS runs and on others eg UKMO and ECM. If its replicating on other runs tomorrow then great, but long way to go yet. Personally I'll wait for the low on tues/weds to clear and see what is being modelled then. It's a good start and obviously great to look at but I'd not be getting too carried away just yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The gfs//p at day ten,reload from the N/NE,...☺️

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.cc6912ca15d038ef02d39b22058ba8c0.pnggfsnh-1-240.thumb.png.fdb3d3791d0256be402d0aa8d54069cb.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I really apologize guys, but I feel I have to draw attention to something that may well scupper how things may look tomorrow and change the outlook dramatically.

My attention to the 12z and 18z runs, has been drawn to how much they depend upon what we generally expect to occur. not what actually happens.

But looking at today's runs it strikes me that, against all odds, a high pressure system is going to pursue the low pressure south and follow it so far south, it ends up leaving us with southwesterly winds!

I have come to this conclusion because I am convinced that, as well as managing Spurs, Mourinho also gives instructions to the models as regards how he wants the different pressure systems to play out,  but this will not be how they actually perform at the end of the day! 

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

I really apologize guys, but I feel I have to draw attention to something that may well scupper how things may look tomorrow and change the outlook dramatically.

My attention to the 12z and 18z runs, has been drawn to how much they depend upon what we generally expect to occur. not what actually happens.

But looking at today's runs it strikes me that, against all odds, a high pressure system is going to pursue the low pressure south and follow it so far south, it ends up leaving us with southwesterly winds!

I have come to this conclusion because I am convinced that, as well as managing Spurs, Mourinho also gives instructions to the models as regards how he wants the different pressure systems to play out,  but this will not be how they actually perform at the end of the day! 

Timmy look at the jet stream it isn’t possible.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well very good full ensemble set for London.

Still some members going for no cold spell at all. My nerves will be settled once that 850 mean gets into that cluster under -10, and we're arguing about whether it's only going to be -8 or potentially 2018 BFTE levels of -13 to -15. 

907789990_Screenshot2021-02-01at00_30_50.thumb.png.092c8045756e1b34014883bb30344f7b.png

Edited by londonblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Arrows1986 said:

10 days is FI but you're right..it won't come off likes this..let people have their fun though! 

When can we expect your analysis?

Would you like a pram for yourself if it does turn out something like this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Unfortunately, although I don't post much in here, I've been a lurker for so many years that I've seen these levels of excitement way too many times to allow myself to dream at the moment.  I've seen it look nailed on as far as T96 and still go wrong, so until I see the white stuff piling up against my front door, I'll remain sceptical.  

Nice to see though, nonetheless!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Icon probably has more northern blocking than 18z but cold is very much delayed with not much reaching the UK until early next week.  Variation on a theme though not a bad start to the morning I suppose. 

ICOOPEU00_156_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo looking good at 120, maybe a little bit improved on its placement of the low from yesterday afternoon.

UN120-21 (9).gif

Agreed beautiful 120 chart its definitely counting down but were not home and dry until its within 72 id say!

UW120-21.gif

• Like 5

Posted

We have an easterly fully in place by Friday if not late Thursday. Could be snow for some on thur/Fri. Good stuff. 

gfsnh-0-108.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Will that Atlantic low out west disrupt favourably after 144 to unleash the beast? Lovely blocking developing all through the Arctic to our Northwest!

UW144-21.gif

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 8

Posted

Slightly colder 850s in the North at 120 compared to GFS 18z... trends......

Screenshot_20210201-040827_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-040832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted

144 Snow right down from John O Groats to Hastings and Dover and those very cold uppers flooding south

Screenshot_20210201-041218_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-041150_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

The sea ice bridge Dover to Calais is back again on this run Sunday evening 7 days away!

Screenshot_20210201-041557_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentspur said:

144 Snow right down from John O Groats to Hastings and Dover and those very cold uppers flooding south

Screenshot_20210201-041218_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-041150_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's what we want to see nationwide snow. Everyone getting a dump of the good stuff. Even the scilly Isles!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some might call me picky but I don't like gfs 0z so much as I live on the south coast. The cold blast hardly lasts a day before milder med air starts mixing in. 

gfseu-1-168 (3).png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some might call me picky but I don't like gfs 0z so much as I live on the south coast. The cold blast hardly lasts a day before milder med air starts mixing in. 

gfseu-1-168 (3).png

Ha! As I post this the wind direction begins to turn more favourable. Fine margins! 

gfseu-1-180 (5).png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

gfseu-1-168 (3).png

Don't worry it's only for a few hours and then cold comes roaring back into the south coast... Wouldn't worry about placement of the 850mb temps until 48 hours out

• Like 6