Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, Hatewarmth said:

We need to stick to the reliable time frame which is 96 at best and ALL model are just showing the same theme.  These downbeat comments are laughable.  It may turn out that the ECM at day 6 is correct but the one model that models cold the best is the UKMO FACT and upto 96 hours it’s spot on where we need it to be fir cold

Sorry doctor I quoted the wrong post.  Meant to quote where he describes each model lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Incoming on the 6z...and we are gaining on the wrap around=introducing of deeper pooling.=colder.@eventually...the ecm lagging big time...imo!!!   Cannot post images atm....

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

06z so far not quite as good as the 00z for Thursday/Friday, as it props the low up over northern Britain rather than 00z which had it W/SW of Ireland.

Yeah this is going to be a poorer run IMO, at least between 144-192hrs.

Expect a brief weak NW shot followed by an atlantic breakdown on this 06z run. Maybe snow from any frontal push between 192-240hrs.

As I said before the only thing that matters is the LP over our shores. If it stays you can kiss goodbye to any meaningful cold spell. End of story as it'll get absorbed into the Atlantic LP developing eventually and force a weak as dish water NW intrusion 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
4 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

I expect the ECM will be brought back into line over the next couple of runs.

Why? Because it doesn't match ones favour? Thats wishful thinking but not synoptical logic.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

06z GFS is alot closer to the ICOM/ECM solution of holding that cut off low over the UK for longer.

This run MAY not evolve as well as previous ones.

Don't bother looking upstream yet, everything that is KEY for us even getting a cold spell is right on our doorstep.

Yeh it has little, but I think it will still just get away with it as  high pressure is just strong enough over Iceland 

UKMO at 4pm will be fascinating viewing.

gfsnh-0-138 (5).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.361a2d04ffc165e60c12a259c7176976.png

ECM 120

image.thumb.png.8ca3bd29181e4f66c75985ad50d1aa5a.png

GFS 120

Very alike in terms of this pesky LP

Edited by MJB
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Yeh it has little, but I think it will still just get away with it as  high pressure is just strong enough over Iceland 

UKMO at 4pm will be fascinating viewing.

gfsnh-0-138 (5).png

Its going to be a mighty struggle though with such a limpet upper low over the UK. May get a brief easterly still but the atlantic low is going to push over the UK as per 00z ECM.

Honestly the HP means nothing if the cutoff low just lingers, there isn't huge forcing from that HP to our north to shunt it all southwards on this run, and we've seen what the ECM does longer on.

Besides the trend is real clear this morning towards the ECM solution between 72-120hrs, any one arguing against that is willfully ignoring that simple thing.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Had a look at individual ECM ensembles at T162.

Only 3 out of 51 were close to the op run in terms of that low over northern Scotland.

The far more likely way we'll avoid the easterly, according to the ensembles, is by the low clearly too quickly, leaving us under high pressure (though still probably cold).

I feel fairly content having seen the ensembles one by one that the ECM op is going to be too far north with that low between D6 and D7.

• Like 8

Posted

144 is key, its at that point ECM shoots off to the high end of the ENS

Edited by MJB

Posted
Just now, MJB said:

ECM 120

GFS 120

Very alike 

Yes but there is no phasing on the GFS giving it more chance to sink south. No model  is right or wrong lol they will all merge.

ps if you need a snow fix tune into the demonstration coverage in Moscow on the news channels...makes me wanna join the riot ⛄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
15 minutes ago, MJB said:

Not really , the passion and chase for snow will always remain no matter what the circumstances even more so I'd say given the boredom most are experiencing .

The chase for snow is fine I agree but not the dramatics by adults. Here's hoping for some snow anyways whatever your collective thoughts ete. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

ECM 120

GFS 120

Very alike 

Looks like a douze point to the ECM for sticking to its guns

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

Its going to be a mighty struggle though with such a limpet upper low over the UK. May get a brief easterly still but the atlantic low is going to push over the UK as per 00z ECM.

Honestly the HP means nothing if the cutoff low just lingers, there isn't huge forcing from that HP to our north to shunt it all southwards on this run, and we've seen what the ECM does longer on.

Surely it will help push it further south than the ECM though? Even its just a nudge out the way that's all we need

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Yes but there is no phasing on the GFS giving it more chance to sink south. No model  is right or wrong lol they will all merge.

ps if you need a snow fix tune into the demonstration coverage in Moscow on the news channels...makes me wanna join the riot ⛄

Yes , that's very true . 

Yep , I saw that , half of them are only there for the snow lol 

Posted
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Incoming on the 6z...and we are gaining on the wrap around=introducing of deeper pooling.=colder.@eventually...the ecm lagging big time...imo!!!   Cannot post images atm....

See what you’re saying @tight isobar as shown on below uppers.. however so annoying this run as that pesky low over us is now filling in situ and preventing the amazing Synoptics to our north.

image.thumb.png.81f73bf557899dff7fb9a45653806ac2.png

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

The one good thing is the LP to our west is pretty weak by 144hrs.

Might end up with the north in a mean easterly and the south not actually getting all that cold due to the angle of the LP?

Looks like a decent snow event for the north though between 144-168hrs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

From my experience in the models, do we not always say until ukmo is on board then it’s likely to go the shape of a pear? In this case ukmo is clearly what we are looking for so I’d say there’s a good chance the others will slowly fall in line. Not exactly the same but we will get a bit of a blend. No point worrying about every single opp run lol. 
oh well who’s excited for the 12z??? ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, TSNWK said:

See what you’re saying @tight isobar as shown on below uppers.. however so annoying this run as that pesky low over us is now filling in situ and preventing the amazing Synoptics to our north.

image.thumb.png.81f73bf557899dff7fb9a45653806ac2.png

Could bring a snow covering before the easterly sets in though?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
4 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Had a look at individual ECM ensembles at T162.

Only 3 out of 51 were close to the op run in terms of that low over northern Scotland.

The far more likely way we'll avoid the easterly, according to the ensembles, is by the low clearly too quickly, leaving us under high pressure (though still probably cold).

I feel fairly content having seen the ensembles one by one that the ECM op is going to be too far north with that low between D6 and D7.

Quite... and to illustrate

image.thumb.png.9e6fd257c5eb4a3e17c3e58e95c033eb.png

image.thumb.png.14b005ff70f42ed309fe0e0917d15c2b.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1