Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted

A fresh model thread to continue to follow the ups and downs of what's already been an action-packed winter so far. There's a snow risk in places this weekend and into next week, then there are increasing signs from the models that the beast from the east could arrive later in the week - though nothing is nailed on yet..

Model thread rules of engagement!
As usual, please keep it to the models in this thread, and keep it friendly and respectful of other people's views.

• If your post is discussing the model output, then it's fine in this thread
  • If your post is mostly not about the models, briefly mentioning a model by name or putting a chart in there does not make it model discussion - the best place for this sort of thing is the winter chat thread.
  • Please use the Met Office thread to discuss their outlooks.
  • A local slant is ok as many people prefer to look at the models with a view to their local conditions
  • Local 'will it snow type' posts, or local forecast chat are not suited to the model thread though, the best place for these sorts of posts is the regional area

The stratosphere is a bit talking point at the moment, for more info and in depth discussion around that, please take a look at the Stratosphere and Polar Vortex watch thread.

Model Output And Charts On Netweather:
UKV (Extra subscribers)
GFS
GEFS Ensembles
ECMWF
ECMWF EPS
NetWx-SR (3km)
NetWx-MR (9km)
Met Office (UKMO)
Fax
GEM
GFS Hourly

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Welcome to

didiland.jpg

Enjoy the models rollercoasterride!

It's all D10 again! This moving/shifting cold block couldn't NOT be an issue/trouble-maker...(?)

spacer.png

Do not trust D10 Charts!

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

ECM seems to sometimes go AWOl when it first senses bigger drivers in an unconventional configuration, which the global signals seem primed for. Probably just me, but I see the mess of the ECM 12Z as a positive. It seems confused and stuff is darting all over the shop. It will reconfigure on the 00 or tomorrow's 12 and model convergence from the 5th or 6th Feb may commence. We'll see. M.R.N.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
3 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Welcome to

didiland.jpg

It's all D10 again! This moving/shifting cold block couldn't NOT be an issue/trouble-maker...(?)

spacer.png

Do not trust D10 Charts!

I don't trust day 5 charts..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

I wouldn't worry about what happens in over 5 days away guys. So much is happening beforehand with snow events this weekend (battles between the warm and cold airmass). It will look different after they pass. So many fine lines drawn in at close range that will change the future modelling picture. In addition the ECM hasn't exactly been the best in forecasting in over 5 days recently. Constant chopping and changing like the rest of the models. Such a big difference tonight vs this morning. I would stick closer to the fax charts or to the nearer and now atm until volatility (fine balances between  the warm/cold sector's) in the weather calms down. That boundary is constantly changing. Eventually one will be a clear winner. Theres no point in getting wound up over the weather. It will do what it pleases . Lets just enjoy the ride and watch it do its thing.  There will always be winners and losers when it comes to cold and snow. And normally I am one of the losers as it doesn't often snow down in the south west. Most of you will get a better chance of seeing the white gold than me  . Have a great night

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
5 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Welcome to

didiland.jpg

spacer.png

Do not trust D10 Charts!

But it is not day 10 - the ECM goes wrong way earlier than that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

EC Op 12z compared to its own 0z is fairly similar up to +120, but then they diverge.

Instead of Heights suddenly popping up between Iceland and Svalbard, the 12z now lowers heights there.
The Scandi/Iceland High doesn't even get a chance tonight.

GFS 12z did not look good either, but that failed in another way, at a later timeframe, so together they do not create a 'trend'.
GEFS was an upgrade overall. I really wonder what EPS will show tonight.

However, they do show that getting cold here is always complicated and patience is asked of us. Quite a challenge, for me at least!

Posted
Just now, mulzy said:

Medium term EPS trending the wrong way - let’s hope it’s just a blip!

That really isn't what we wanted to hear but thanks for your updates about the ecm ens

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
7 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

But it is not day 10 - the ECM goes wrong way earlier than that. 

We will see in the ENS. I think it's an enormous outlier or some major issues in the deterministic input values that got EC off the track.

Or some background signals disturbing both big models...?

Edited by Vikos

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

You can slow the frames down on the site but I can't transfer the file

Are you referring to the period between 144 and 168hrs? Does it just vanish?

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

That really isn't what we wanted to hear but thanks for your updates about the ecm ens

They are not awful - just poor compared to this morning.  Those damn Med heights!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When you look at the GFS 12Z op in context with its ensemble, things don't look nearly as bad, as when you view it on its own:

image.thumb.png.486d697e1490d5775f5697da41efbc7a.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

One would hope that the Mogreps has a handle on this.

The volatility we are seeing in the free to view models is in sharp contrast to a confident long ranger from the M.O.

The update suggests a block to the North East from the 4th and all the way toward the end of February.

This sort of robust outlook in terms of widespread cold and snow hasn't been offered up so far this winter.

All the fantastic charts with 'potential'  we witnessed in December and January were never met with much of a response from Exeter.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Talk about being bipolar.. yesterday they were looking spectacular ?‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

They are not awful - just poor compared to this morning.  Those damn Med heights!

A constant thorn unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted

As i say if the ecm does not improve on the 00z its game over!!nobody will like what im saying but ive seen this happen plenty of times over the years and more often than not there is no going back!!i can call this now but i wont i will give the ecm a chance till the 00z!!!you can have all the ensemble backing you want but the op is very good at picking out a change and those ensembles will follow in the end!!!yes 1 op run does seem to go wrong and then improve straightaway the next run and we better hope this is one of those times!!!anyway enjoy whatever snow we get between now and tuesday lol!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

As i say if the ecm does not improve on the 00z its game over!!nobody will like what im saying but ive seen this happen plenty of times over the years and more often than not there is no going back!!i can call this now but i wont i will give the ecm a chance till the 00z!!!you can have all the ensemble backing you want but the op is very good at picking out a change and those ensembles will follow in the end!!!yes 1 op run does seem to go wrong and then improve straightaway the next run and we better hope this is one of those times!!!anyway enjoy whatever snow we get between now and tuesday lol!

I agree. Its happened way too many times before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Definitely not as bad as OP but worse than this morning heights to NE gain less latitude and higher pressure in med which makes it difficult to draw coldest air in.

4D88051B-184E-4CBC-99DE-CBAC5C531C77.thumb.png.8e90dbcc871df1df6560bc5d74585bf4.pngF4CDA9BE-8E94-402B-ABEF-256095D0471A.thumb.png.814f3d6f857c0a83e68bf1fd794d3dc5.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Thanks 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Mate one day they lookk darn good and next update theyre not good at all

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Just tunes back in , then spat my tea out WTF was that from ECM , I will say now its on the high side of the ENS

UKMO Decent 

Good MET Update 

image.thumb.png.8589d8b95d6d56956286111ebc91e588.png

Decent GEFS 

And then ECM produces the worst run for days ............I'm not so sure 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

I tend to laugh at this kind of comment, but each to their own. 

Sheikhy has spoken. We may as well all go home........

Back to the models and here are the big three at day 6 for reference.

UKMO

spacer.png

EC

spacer.png

GFS

spacer.png

Looks like a timing issue with that low. Ukmo clearing it east south east quicker. Much to be resolved

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

I tend to laugh at this kind of comment, but each to their own. 

Sheikhy has spoken. We may as well all go home........

Back to the models and here are the big three at day 6 for reference.

UKMO

spacer.png

EC

spacer.png

GFS

spacer.png

Fair enough!!!just beware this one run could change the whole dynamics!!!i want it to get back to what it was showing just as much as you mate!!fingers crossed!!

• Like 1