Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weathercast.co.uk website

Posted

I had bookmarks in my browser to take me to my local MetOffice station data on weathercast.co.uk, where it was shown in a useful table format. I noticed last night that they now forward to a WeatherPro website and so does the main weathercast.co.uk website. I don't know what's happened.

However, after some Googling I found the data's still available in the same table format on the Meteoservices.be website, e.g. www.meteoservices.be/be/home/weer/weer-wereldwijd/waarnemingen/obsid/99127.html

It looks the same as Weathercast and I've just found what seems to be a French version at www.meteo24.fr 

Hopefully these sites won't go the same way as the Weathercast one, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised if they do given they appear to be foreign versions of Weathercast. 

• Thanks 2

Posted

Argh... as I feared, the Belgium and French sites I linked to above now redirect to Weatherpro.com.

Are there any websites where you can view MetO hourly data in tabular format, as you used to be able to via Weathercast?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I noticed the same thing, I found it very handy to see hourly readings for the past week from various sites around the UK and further afield, such as when looking at data for various parts of France during the June and July 2019 heatwaves.

I've had a look around and haven't so far been able to find any in tabular format that are as good, the nearest I've found is Meteosat, e.g. https://meteostat.net/en/station/03377?t=2021-01-22/2021-01-28

It's a lot better than nothing, but disappointing to lose such a good source of hourly data.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I noticed the same thing, I found it very handy to see hourly readings for the past week from various sites around the UK and further afield, such as when looking at data for various parts of France during the June and July 2019 heatwaves.

I've had a look around and haven't so far been able to find any in tabular format that are as good, the nearest I've found is Meteosat, e.g. https://meteostat.net/en/station/03377?t=2021-01-22/2021-01-28

Thanks for that link, Ian. I now have real-time dps!

Posted
3 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It's a lot better than nothing, but disappointing to lose such a good source of hourly data.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have all stations - at least it doesn't have my two local ones (Andrewsfield 03684 and Writtle 99127).

I can't believe the MetOffice is still so bad at providing this basic info free of charge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just found another site which has Writtle and allows downloading the last 2 weeks of data:

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/archive/export/writtle_united-kingdom_2633481

Surprised I didn't find this earlier, but search engines seem to downrank that site unless I specify certain weather stations such as Writtle.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Sadly I found in the past that the MeteoBlue site never tallied up with what was said on Weathercast (or if hourly temps were reported by the MetO on Twitter or something). I'm not sure why!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 15:59, h2005__uk__ said:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have all stations - at least it doesn't have my two local ones (Andrewsfield 03684 and Writtle 99127).

I can't believe the MetOffice is still so bad at providing this basic info free of charge.

Andrewsfield data is available quite widely as it is a SYNOP site so is carried by Ogimet for example - enter the WMO number in this form -

Hourly data can be found by clicking on the dates.

Skylink offers a wider range of sites, some that weren't available on weathercast. Not convinced by the accuracy of all the stations but a potentially useful and interesting resource -

SKYLINKWEATHER.COM

Current weather for the UK, Europe, Australia and New Zealand

Alas no Writtle...... but for that try weatherobs, fantastic site, possibly better than weathercast for viewing observations, which includes the additional Met Office sites as well as the standard WMO SYNOP and METAR locations - 

WWW.WEATHEROBS.COM

Global weather observations (METAR, SYNOP, BUOY, SHIP, TAF, CWOP) decoded to enable display of latest temperatures, weather, snow depths, precipitation, wind and wave conditions and more

• 4 months later...
Posted
On 12/02/2021 at 13:29, Interitus said:

Andrewsfield data is available quite widely as it is a SYNOP site so is carried by Ogimet for example - enter the WMO number in this form 

I know it's been a while since this thread was last posted in but I wanted to say thanks to Interitus for the links.  I hadn't found an adequate replacement for Weathercast until I saw these, but the combination of these two sites covers what I used Weathercast for.  I am particularly interested in following the daily stats for RAF Waddington, but it's also useful for example to be able to check out how European sites are doing during heatwaves in near real-time.

I think on ogimet some of the daily stats are out by a day or two, so the systematic difference needs to be accounted for - usually the daily stats will make it clear (e.g. they give the 24 hour D-1 sunshine totals to 6am on day D).