Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A much better ECM this morning with cold air successfully moving westwards into the U.K. 850s of -13 across the East by day 10, but the cold air arrives in places by day 6 as heights build over the top of the deep cold over Scandinavia.

anim_rxe0.gif

You could even go further as the surface cold never leaves the north of the UK through the entire run more or less.

It does briefly move into the south but even there the surface flow soon cools down again after 36hrs or so.

Very cold run overall, and I'm near certain you'd get plenty of streamers forming in such a flow as seen on the ECM.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
50 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM at 120,

It shows multiple snow events over the next few days too.

ECH1-120 (2).gif

snowdepth_20210129_00_108.jpg

If there’s ever a chart that screams painful Netweather cliche, this is it....

Edited by Lord Grogon
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Great runs, but I am concerned that gfs and para want to bring it all to an end quite quickly? 

That's a valid point, all high risk, but at this range who knows? 

In any case... 

279660302fbea6dff114b191445bd5b4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

So looks like from next Sat a number of models seem to be converging on the idea of a scandi high bringing in colder uppers we haven’t seen since the beast from the east! 

Just need to count this down to +96hrs to be certain!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
5 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Great runs, but I am concerned that gfs and para want to bring it all to an end quite quickly? 

Yes, there is a possibility when the wedge(s) are taken by the ebb and flow they may go towards Greenland and we get more of a west based flow. That has been a common theme from the gfsP but may simply be the gfs westerly bias.

I would not worry about that ATM, with the caveat that this upcoming pattern is from wedges not a Rossby Wave injection of significant WAA into the high-latitude, so we should expect a limited time cold spell rather than a locked-in blocked pattern. That is assuming that other variables like the MJO and strat warming do not come into play in the interim, and their effect, positive or negative?

Mean at d12 highlights the east -v- west battle after the initial Scandi surface high from the various wedges:

gensnh-31-1-288.thumb.png.d45c2549aad4106b1db7a64e89e118ec.png

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

If you look closer though you have to be North of the Midlands to get below minus4 uppers.  Not a done deal for the whole country..

As Paul just said above, all big picture at this stage, not small details. Be in it to win it, surely? 

Edit: so just to clarify, I'm not thinking specific locations on the whole when I post, it's more about overall chances and the pattern moving forward. In this case the pattern is holding and evolving as desired. I'm not concerned about aunts, cousins or neighbours getting snow in a specific location. So it's in reference to what happens next. 

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

If you look closer though you have to be North of the Midlands to get below minus4 uppers.  Not a done deal for the whole country..

12hrs later....

583A1DA5-CCE6-4CED-B4E3-6E60A7882C41.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Overnight runs are rubbish again I see.

BD41F536-67D9-4367-BF4C-E77C14DD2254.png

1DFE6E1A-E949-42CC-A026-A89EDBF3C5A8.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Some great charts this morning (if cold is your thing), and some great posts over the last 24 hours or so as well. But, I have to laugh that already some are worrying about the end of a potential cold spell which isn't nailed on In any case, and isn't set to start for a week (ish). I know that usually happens at some point when cold is imminent, but this early?!

Sorry, just observing what the gfs model output is showing. It’d be fine to talk up cold charts at 15 days out no doubt?

Posted
2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Fair to say the extended EPS mean is better than the extended GEFS mean. Approaching the perfect configuration that the EC46 had for week 3.

That’s good to hear. Was a bit disappointed at the GEFS as they indicate the cold spell would only last around 3 - 4 days in the south. I get paul’s point about not looking for the end before it’s even started , but I can also understand that for many it’s been a long winter of disappointment, so as we enter the last month of winter they are looking for something a bit more sustained 

24D408E5-0930-4206-9AC5-BD41F0884EF1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Sorry, just observing what the gfs model output is showing. It’d be fine to talk up cold charts at 15 days out no doubt?

It's a fair point and just as much as milder spells (as recently happened) can be eroded so can cold spells. Quite often I see pattern locked in or the block is not going to be shifted that easily but all too often cold spells can be short and blown away quickly. From the GFS perspective I think the hope is the breakdown as shown later in the run will perhaps go under the block and prolong the cold spell.

If we get a bit of snow in the starved eastern areas I would be happy.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
15 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Looking good for a cold blast from the east which most seem to  yearn. Not that I don't love them. BUT you can't ignore these. Never straight forward is it. Fingers crossed the sets are wrong 

image.thumb.png.e6be9defadeb19fead93976d8711f9c5.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
20 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Have you gone through the GEFS to see if it had support ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
35 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

Why are you even bothering looking at uppers a week away? It will no doubt change...

• Like 5