Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter so far-comments?

johnholmes

Posted

Well I’s half way through meteorological winter so the jh winter so far-how about yours?

I thought I would start a thread about how winter has been so far. The constant moans and complaints about it are more than a touch OTT for myself and I suspect some others. Heaven knows what the folks north of the border make of what some south of the border are making it out to be?

Please do add your own data and comments. Perhaps someone could actually start a vote on things so far, beyond my ability I am afraid?

Anyway the 30 days from 22 December to 20 January my mean temperature shows as 2.9 C. December 24 year average is 5.2 C and for January it is 5.1 C

Snow, split, falling and lying at 0900 clock time is December 3 and 2, I recorded 1 and 1

Air frost and ground frost the average is 8 and 13, I had 6 and 8

For snow in January the average is 2 and 2, so far it is 5 and 2 with the maximum at 0900 being 5 cm

Air and ground frost shows 7 and 12, so far it is 8 and 10

So, yes, it is not beast from the east nor a December 2010 but compared to a number of winters it is far from the mild wet one of some winters. Sadly I know some of you are suffering at the moment and I feel very sorry for you, please do not feel I am ignoring your awful situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Hello John, 

I’m not technical and don’t have weather gauge or equipment.  Winter so far here in the North Wales Marches has delivered more snow, with lying snow than last year, but colder days than for a good three years and just at the moment, some of the worst flooding we’ve seen in a few years, mainly hill run off and scree.  No doubt more cold weather to come.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not techincal either, but weatherwise happy with it, 2 days very good snow on 28/29 Dec, then again on 2 Jan, covering on 7th Jan, few flakes on 14th, and then the 'flick of a switch' rain to snow instant settling on wet ground with Christophe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

For me in Hertfordshire its been sooo frustrating like most of the SE with very little of falling snow let alone lying snow however i have enjoyed seeing reports else where across the country seeing some significant snowfall which has been lacking since 2018. I hate the north/south divide currently in terms of moaning and hope eveeyone gets a bit of what they want before spring! Sometimes the north does well sometimes the south does well and that is weather but in terms of synoptics and interesting output......what a cracking winter so far 

Edited by Frostbite1980

Posted

Temperature wise we've had alot of days with maxima below the average, especially during the 24 Dec to 10 Jan period which was notably cold, with exception of Boxing Day. Early December was cold, but a mild middle third cancelled things out. No severe cold days as yet, no ice days, but many in the 0-3 degree range.

Snowise it's bit very frustrating so far, we've missed out on about 3 or 4 decent snowfalls, instead, we've just had a handful of light coverings, no more than a cm or two, and the snow has quickly disappeared.

Frost wise - plenty of frost, but nothing particularly severe.

Its certainly been far more interesting than many recent winters, lots of variety but still waiting for a proper wintry spell.

Its shared hallmarks winter winters 08-09 and 12-13 so far, these were episodic winters, and I would describe the winter so far as episodic.

The fells have had much more snow than many recent winters so far, long lasting, but on occasion suddenly stripped clean.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

sorry folks for the double item, I've asked the mods if they can merge the two!