Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter so far-comments?

johnholmes

Posted

Well I’s half way through meteorological winter so the jh winter so far-how about yours?

I thought I would start a thread about how winter has been so far. The constant moans and complaints about it are more than a touch OTT for myself and I suspect some others. Heaven knows what the folks north of the border make of what some south of the border are making it out to be?

Please do add your own data and comments. Perhaps someone could actually start a vote on things so far, beyond my ability I am afraid?

Anyway the 30 days from 22 December to 20 January my mean temperature shows as 2.9 C. December 24 year average is 5.2 C and for January it is 5.1 C

Snow, split, falling and lying at 0900 clock time is December 3 and 2, I recorded 1 and 1

Air frost and ground frost the average is 8 and 13, I had 6 and 8

For snow in January the average is 2 and 2, so far it is 5 and 2 with the maximum at 0900 being 5 cm

Air and ground frost shows 7 and 12, so far it is 8 and 10

So, yes, it is not beast from the east nor a December 2010 but compared to a number of winters it is far from the mild wet one of some winters. Sadly I know some of you are suffering at the moment and I feel very sorry for you, please do not feel I am ignoring your awful situation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Odd Winter so far December near enough average four days of snow falling no measurable cover. A very wet month with over 100mm falling. No windy weather at all.

January 7 days with Snow falling one day of sleet and some freezing rain on the 12th. Only one day had any measurable snow that was on the morning of the 15th however rising temperatures made sure it didn't go into a second day. This was the first time there was any measurable snow at the time of reading since March 19th 2018. 11 days of air frost so far however no real deep cold the coldest night the 16th with -2.9C.  Very wet month by now with over 100mm already. No real windy weather again though. The 20th had an very large rapid temperature drop in the evening in a very short time. Sadly the west nicked all the snow what fell was mostly gone by morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

My post was either deleted or moved can a mod pm me as to why please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Bang average!...some cold days New Years Eve and into the start of the New Year with some not overly hard frosts, but has turned milder the last few days. As for snow, don't get me started! and as for rain don't get me started!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Bang average!...some cold days New Years Eve and into the start of the New Year with some not overly hard frosts, but has turned milder the last few days. As for snow, don't get me started! and as for rain don't get me started!

This exactly took the words outta’ my mouth  there my old sunshine!! 
im not sure what average is anymore, I was born in 1977, grew up round Beds/Hunts/Northants border I recall some big snow falls and frosts. It might’ve been because we couldn’t afford the oil for our heating and my mum would come into wake us up of a morning saying ‘Jack frost has been again,’ ice on the inside of the windows!! It sticks in my memory but that doesn’t mean it that was frequent?! 
Anyhow I have enjoyed the cold frosty  bits and bobs we have had here on the south coast.... not enjoyed the relentless rain making the garden like a bog from the north Pennines...! 
Come end of Feb I shall review and still if I still feel the same.

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

My post was either deleted or moved can a mod pm me as to why please?

There seems to be 2 duplicate threads, your post is in the other

Whilst im here, very wet, 2 frosts and no snow. Rubbish .

Edited by KTtom

Posted

475D2C2C-A0D5-44B0-8A01-C9F0DDB4C21F.thumb.jpeg.8b318165a98a3570499b49a17b444461.jpegDD27B1A0-BC8F-4170-9B55-A55C905FFE3D.thumb.jpeg.61081ac2268aac853a507da22fb476d5.jpeg

Fantastic winter here so far we are on the outskirts of Edinburgh a little place called Straiton,,,,8 snow events since the start of December here, best winter for snow events since 2010 and last nights snowfall was the deepest since the BFTE in 2018

• Like 3

Posted

sorry folks for the double item, I've asked the mods if they can merge the two!

Posted

Have had a more normal winter so far with permenant snow cover on ground above 1000feet (Ski industry must be very frustrated) from just before Christmas and weekly frosts lasting up to three nights from the end of November when the first ice was seen on the puddles from our not insignificant rain fall for December and January so far.At least once a week since late December we have had a light snowfall lasting one to three days.

Confirmation  of the cold comes from the  non appearence of snowdrops which over the last few years we had seen flowering in early January with the Daffs showing no signs of emergence  yet.Only snowdrop flowering is beside the warmth of the bathroom waste pipe.

All in all a cooler winter so far than recently and maybe the coldest is yet to come

• Like 1

Posted

Its been an odd winter, snow was on the ground from the early hours of 28th December and the last reminants finally disappeared on 10th January but the ground was more than 50% covered til the 9th January and yet it didn't feel cold enough for the snow cover to survive that long. The last 4 weeks have been snowy, it even managed to snow on Christmas Day and there have been heavy snowfalls with in this period with Wednesday evening being exceptionally heavy for a short time. Even the freezing fog last Friday managed to precipitate snow.

Up to and including yesterday 

13 days with falling sleet /snow (not including freezing fog precipitate)

13 days with lying snow under Met Office rules

16 air frosts

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A chilly, snow-starved slog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A winter that has promised on several occasions but ultimately under delivered on the day.

Not the worst, but far from the best thus far, and maybe only 4 weeks max to get a decent snow event before the sun becomes too strong... current grading C+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

A strange one, some nice snow on Dartmoor in December, but nothing as expected down here at sea level.

But it's been a lot colder than last winter- including a freezing football match on Monday 28th December at Dartmouth when I froze even with new winter gloves!

• Like 1

Posted

So far, much better than last winter. The cold has been on an off for the most part. December I got some snow on the 4th with a mild period in the middle. Then a white Christmas with a cold spell lasting about 2 weeks. In that spell, 4 days got measurable snowfall with temperatures going down to -5c on some occasions. Average to mild weather then followed from the 10th Jan, the 15th was an ice day with temps below freezing all day, then mild weather followed. On the 20th, it was 12c at 3pm and by 8pm it dropped to 0c. We also got quite a lot of snow with that, 8cm in 2hrs. 

It has been a strange winter and in my area, probably the best since 2012/13 in terms of snowfall and ice days. Compared to last winter, we got 0 ice days and no measurable snowfall and so far this winter we got quite a lot of ice days and 6 days of accumulating snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Here in the South Midlands (a mile south of Edgehill) on the Oxon/Warks border it’s been an old-fashioned winter, not much snurr but not much mild either.

Sufficient frosts to lose count, nothing like the rainfall of last year and what dusting of Snurr we’ve had has lingered for a day or so.

Yes, some people have had it better and some have had it worse and twice we’ve missed decent coverage by about a dozen miles but at least it feels like winter.

Can’t understand those folk who appear to take it personally if there isn’t two foot of snow, I can remember (just) 1963 and in South Birmingham there wasn’t a huge amount of snow, but like 1979 it hung around as snow and ice for weeks.

It’s not as if we paid in advance for Snurr and have been waiting in for it all winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm near enough central Leeds so a big city at 60m and I've had 8 falling snow days with 2/3 lying (that lasted into the next day).

Pretty good going, 7/10 even if nothing exceptional in cold, persistence or depth.

Posted

Loving it John. 

19 snow days and 21 air frosts since 1 Dec. 13 of those snow days have been in January.

Two double figure negative minimums with coldest of -10.6°C.

• Like 3

Posted

Offered much but delivered little.

One decent snowfall of twenty minutes which melted just as quick.

One dandruff snowfall which lasted for a couple of hours.

Some decent frosts.

Better than last year I suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
On 22/01/2021 at 07:43, Weather-history said:

Its been an odd winter, snow was on the ground from the early hours of 28th December and the last reminants finally disappeared on 10th January but the ground was more than 50% covered til the 9th January and yet it didn't feel cold enough for the snow cover to survive that long. The last 4 weeks have been snowy, it even managed to snow on Christmas Day and there have been heavy snowfalls with in this period with Wednesday evening being exceptionally heavy for a short time. Even the freezing fog last Friday managed to precipitate snow.

Up to and including yesterday 

13 days with falling sleet /snow (not including freezing fog precipitate)

13 days with lying snow under Met Office rules

16 air frosts

I think it has been the snowiest last 4 weeks here since mid December 2009-mid January 2010 here

Posted

Extremely poor here. It has been colder than average with plenty of air frosts but none below -2.9C (today coincidentally).

11 days of sleet/snow falling (only one was snow though for around 30 minutes in the early hours last week, the rest sleet and soft hail)

No lying snow at all or indeed any accumulations at any time.

We're on a hell of a run at the moment. No cover over 1cm and only 8 lying snow days in winter at 0900 since January 2013 (1981-2010 average is 7 per annum). Even today the front has gone south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

At the moment the only stand out part is the amount of rain there has been. Four days of falling snow and several frost nights during the quieter periods. It would probably count as an average winter otherwise.

Edit - Make that five days of falling snow.

Edited by Captain Shortwave