Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

And there’s still hope

Just that at the moment DWW☺️

Just now, Don said:

Not great are they.

no but they only go out to day ten,the interest still lies past that when hopefully amplification takes hold

the latest gefs ens look better than the 12z going into Feb with the mean getting down to -5...

ens_image.thumb.png.422899761aeae53ad58a474a3d28e430.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

This perturbation has it nailed!

image.thumb.png.6c3cdafd5c24f6e0ce5568123e0e4cde.png

You just know what’s going to happen on the 0z though don’t you!

TBF there are lots of good ones in there maybe 50% look like they would go blocked, northerly U.K. high or snowy battleground.

That’s a signal and we can’t ignore it...

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

I think the amplitude matters too Don, the Nina imprint might weaken it so it’s not strong enough to really shake things up in the NA sector, 2018 had a record breaking phase 6/7 push that IMHO was as big a driver for the blocking as the split in the strat was. 
As I say if the reversal + a >1 amplitude MjO 6/7 wave verifies then the 18z is a good manifestation of the probability space. Big if mind, especially as you say the Nina factor which Marco himself is still referencing...

Absolutely.  However, another point isn't La Nina now weakening anyway?

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

yes, the links changed

?

i have been using this same link for years Feb,what has changed?

WWW.METEO24.FR

Prévisions Météo gratuites pour toute la France : Alertes pluie, neige, verglas sur 14 jours. Images radar et satellites. Plus de 2 millions de lieux référencés dans le monde.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
Just now, Don said:

Absolutely.  However, another point isn't La Nina now weakening anyway?

Yes, I mentioned this in my earlier post. I imagine the dynamics of how well it’s  able to cut off tropical convection whilst it is weakening are extremely complicated and I can’t profess to have more than a rudimentary understanding of the matter.

What I can do though is see a trend and this 18z GEFS is the first with real mean ridge visible on the pressure charts, building just west of the UK here not just the phantom reds to the north  in the anomalies...

image.thumb.png.53cc3c12d1d3c98d53769aeae80e9cd2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Is it me or does the Atlantic look as dead as a dodo past day ten on the gefs ens?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

?

i have been using this same link for years Feb,what has changed?

WWW.METEO24.FR

Prévisions Météo gratuites pour toute la France : Alertes pluie, neige, verglas sur 14 jours. Images radar et satellites. Plus de 2 millions de lieux référencés dans le monde.

i was using weathercast.co.uk/services/ensemble-forecast.html - now it takes you to something else

• Thanks 1

Posted

The latest...

762228093_ens_image(2).thumb.png.8dd317c218c361f6736902862236141d.png

if we can capitalize on the extended!!!

• Like 9

Posted
18 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

This perturbation has it nailed!

image.thumb.png.6c3cdafd5c24f6e0ce5568123e0e4cde.png

You just know what’s going to happen on the 0z though don’t you!

TBF there are lots of good ones in there maybe 50% look like they would go blocked, northerly U.K. high or snowy battleground.

That’s a signal and we can’t ignore it...

Awesome chart. Was about to throw in the towel on this winter until Matt posted that tweet from the Meto chief, and now gfs seem to be showing the impacts of the SSW and another one is going to happen to increase the chance of a bitter Feb. 

The deep cold is there over Siberia, can it finally get to the UK for February. 

SST are also lower in February too. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Not much of interest within 10 days on the GFS however the GEM shows some interest with a possible Scandi High/Euro Ridge at Day 9/10 maybe an evolution to keep an eye on.

However there a lot of important features that need to go in our favour in particular the main low beginning to slide around Day 6. This helps to allow heights to rise over Scandi then secondly  with the two main lows out in the Atlantic at Day 7/8 to favourably phase for us otherwise it will stop the heights over Northern Europe from being reinforced by the Azores RIdge through the UK.

gem-0-228.thumb.png.4af5ec65cdc20ece6c4eb3b1ca8bc36c.png

Whether it is picking up on signals mentioned below and is factoring them in too early or not is yet to be seen. 

There may be some other details I missed but I claim to be no expert at this. Just wondering If it is possible should certain elements go our way whether it is possible for some cooler weather sooner than we think. Especially with the La-Nina signal gradually weakening and the MJO starting to become more favourable. Especially Phase 6/7 tend to promote UK Ridges and Scandinavian heights. 

May I muse that if we do get a Scandi High locked in is it possible that if the MJO transitions over to Phase 8/1 that into Mid February we may transition from Scandi High to Greenland/Griceland High whether it be from Atlantic Ridge or from retrogression of heights from Northern Europe. 

Either way I'd say things look fairly favourable for us we just have to be patient in my opinion a bit like 2018 it took almost a month to reap the benefits it's only just over two weeks since the SSW happened. 

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS ends with another cold spell developing, so it's by no means over yet.

Next week looks to me rather like a box of fireworks that blew up on the ground, lows going off in every direction, generally mild but notice that the Tuesday low has had most of its mild sector removed, now a rather weak warming signal there. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Awesome chart. Was about to throw in the towel on this winter until Matt posted that tweet from the Meto chief, and now gfs seem to be showing the impacts of the SSW and another one is going to happen to increase the chance of a bitter Feb. 

The deep cold is there over Siberia, can it finally get to the UK for February. 

SST are also lower in February too. 

Yes, finally the ssw effect s are being felt 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Yes, finally the ssw effect s are being felt 

I think we need to wait before making that statement ref majority nw Europe ....

many in Scotland and n England, Scandinavia and Asia  would say that they’ve already seen the effects .....

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The path of the shallow system further sw on Exeter’s models than gfs, icon 

image.thumb.png.f71e7517eda1c07d2403ef158412483d.pngimage.thumb.png.e4a86126f9a5d8e5416b9e25807b76a5.png    

This could come down to nowcasting the way it's going. The GFS does seem a bit ahead of itself compared to other models as it shows quite a bit of snow for quite an area during Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Day 10 anyone? Easterly into East/SE at yep day ten, uppers not cold at this stage but one to watch on ECM

ECM1-240.gif

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Just a quick one before work, but the best set of FI GEFS for quite a while:

image.thumb.png.eef0f9e335a30ee6a0a3084e4a908fde.png

To be honest, that's quite a turnaround.  Will it be there tonight though?

Have a good day all.

Good question, but probably as good a start to the day as one could have hoped for (yes I have a bias for cold weather in winter). 

• Like 3