Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the last third of January

Paul

Posted

Back down to earth on the 00z again?!!any improvements at 144 hours on the big 3?!!has gfs moved towards ukmo and has ukmo dropped the snow event for saturday?!!any snowy surprises between now and tuesday?!!not really interested at whats happening after the next 6 days lol!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Morning all,

The way I see it, there is currently no way we will avoid a milder period during the second half of of next week according to the 0z output, and I’m not saying this in a pessimistic way, just being realistic based on what I’m seeing, even Scotland would become milder too...how long would it last?..well, the GEFS 0z mean does indicate a colder trend during early Feb?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Back down to earth on the 00z again?!!any improvements at 144 hours on the big 3?!!has gfs moved towards ukmo and has ukmo dropped the snow event for saturday?!!any snowy surprises between now and tuesday?!!not really interested at whats happening after the next 6 days lol!!

6FB6A56C-22AB-4466-B619-D1F08B82A980.thumb.jpeg.7c105f10fd549e8ed2feea6c6fd8fb4a.jpeg

ECM still has the low running across the south Sunday with potential for a period of snow. Not much else!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
8 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Do we assume that the other three gfs runs that day were with a greeny ridge and the para ones were not - wouldn’t be right to pick the worst example so will assume that you didn’t .......

My point was not that the para is not better, it is, the issue is that it has runs which stray from the standard deviation so far that there must be some inherent algorithmic error to produce these 0.1, 02 and 0.3 at d10? Surely these have to be resolved before it is stable enough for general consumption?

I did do the latest data I had, the 12z and I looked at no other run as it proved the point I was making, and also pointed out it may be "bad luck" happenstance but it highlights my concerns about this going on-stream.

No surprise it has corrected itself this morning from last night's 18z;  d8:

533417513_gfsnh-0-192(3).thumb.png.a6547a5399000154610c373aad22387d.pnggfsnh-0-186.thumb.png.669b6d6de8b2b42ad711cb90c1aa5835.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

6FB6A56C-22AB-4466-B619-D1F08B82A980.thumb.jpeg.7c105f10fd549e8ed2feea6c6fd8fb4a.jpeg

ECM still has the low running across the south Sunday with potential for a period of snow. Not much else!

Parts of Scotland are in an Amber warning for snow now. I think ecm fi is still looking interesting.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

First time the ECM has even remotely echoed anything vaguely similar. 

I appreciate its day 10 reputation, but given how much time this thread devotes to gfs in FI, I suspect FI is where changes will start to show up. 

No expectations but things to keep an eye on,in lieu of anything more interesting in the reliable or near term. 

ECH1-240 (1).gif

I agree, once we move into Feb there should be changes, and the wedges into higher latitudes to our NW/N/NE have been showing up regular. However, mostly they appear fleeting when they do on the gefs, so I am not convinced they will go anywhere useful.

During the 16 days on the gefs two Pacific-wave wedges develop towards the Arctic but both tend to stay on the other side of the NH which is a worst case scenario. d13 mean for example:

986448999_gensnh-31-1-312(2).thumb.png.8fb2745532b18c5f17da1e6a40cac340.png

I am only looking at the bigger picture, not the slings and arrows of micro-scale features, looking for a sea-change to a wintry sustained cold spell. There can still be wintry mixes but the overall pattern post d9 isn't great atm, but it remains fluid with lots of uncertainty as we hit Feb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, IDO said:

I agree, once we move into Feb there should be changes, and the wedges into higher latitudes to our NW/N/NE have been showing up regular. However, mostly they appear fleeting when they do on the gefs, so I am not convinced they will go anywhere useful.

During the 16 days on the gefs two Pacific-wave wedges develop towards the Arctic but both tend to stay on the other side of the NH which is a worst case scenario. d13 mean for example:

986448999_gensnh-31-1-312(2).thumb.png.8fb2745532b18c5f17da1e6a40cac340.png

I am only looking at the bigger picture, not the slings and arrows of micro-scale features, looking for a sea-change to a wintry sustained cold spell. There can still be wintry mixes but the overall pattern post d9 isn't great atm, but it remains fluid with lots of uncertainty as we hit Feb.

It's a confusing and unclear big picture, that's for sure. A lot has already been mentioned this week about teleconnections, MJO etc. 

What's hard to factor and far from settled is strat / trop impacts, given that they remain ongoing. Zonal winds are forecast to reduce and briefly return to negative once more at the start of February. Fascinating how this will impact and overlap with the model runs, which is what I think should be looked out for in FI

Likewise I'm looking for larger changes, rather than dissecting a shortwave or precipitation chart at day 10

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Maybe it's just a feeling, but could it be that the models swing at shorter intervals? Is it a background signal that has a massive impact on the prognosis? MJO?

cor_day3_HGT_P1000_G2NHX.pngcor_day5_HGT_P1000_G2NHX.png  cor_day8_HGT_P1000_G2NHX.png  cor_day10_HGT_P1000_G2NHX.png

NCPE_phase_21m_full.gif    ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

FI is (more hope than knowledge) Around 72/96hr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Just with regard to the d10 gem and it is a clear outlier (with another member). The control has +10c uppers in Manchester when the op has -8c>

op>gem-1-240.thumb.png.1eb872f8cf89c6d5b6d2b424297471a5.png mean>1211977363_gens-21-0-240(2).thumb.png.f1e50c71e648c413dbdfffdb8a96d207.png

manchester>graphe3__238.7801055908203_32.0888671875___.thumb.png.bd97df89edecf4c8030e80e74e93eae0.png

Also, the ecm is a statistical outlier for pressure at d9 and even as early as d5 is outside standard deviation (just). Would need more runs to think along its evolution lines and atm probably one run to treat with caution?

graphe1_00_305.742919922_151.205749512___.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

MJO looks even better, a higher amplitude today looking at GFS ECM and CFS forecasts phase 7 more likely than 6? Isn't this better for blocking than 6? Anyone care to explain the main differences in terms of pressure pattern/ forcing

Screenshot_20210121-084639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-084650_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-084709_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

MJO looks even better, a higher amplitute today looking at GFS ECM and CFS forecasts phase 7 more likely than 6? Isn't this better for blocking than 6? Anyone care to explain the main differences in terms of pressure pattern/ forcing

Screenshot_20210121-084639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-084650_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-084709_Samsung Internet.jpg

Makes a big difference:

Phase 6 Nina:  1919361724_MJONinaPh6Jan.thumb.png.e70c6f5c659f0753afe43df776a15bd5.png Phase 7 Nina: 28491898_MJONinaPh7Jan.thumb.png.f326bc677c6db7df6cac01c2a84fa786.png

Source: https://www.meteonetwork.it/models/mjo/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

MJO looks even better, a higher amplitute today looking at GFS ECM and CFS forecasts phase 7 more likely than 6? Isn't this better for blocking than 6? Anyone care to explain the main differences in terms of pressure pattern/ forcing

Worth remembering the MJO signal has been subdued due to the La Nina background so we shall have to see if the current forecasts are likely to land. NCEP in their latest MJO update: 

RMM forecasts are often influenced by the low frequency La Niña signal, which can result in them incorrectly predicting strong MJO events.
• This has been the case during the past several weeks and will remain a concern throughout the duration of the La Niña event, which means we are likely to have reduced confidence in MJO forecasts during this time.

source > here <

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

GEM is interesting and in fact is slightly outperforming the other models recently

image.thumb.png.2f6663912e7734cfe9c3693ae9edc61b.pngimage.thumb.png.219a9fac8f4c2012eb56faee8d8fb9ad.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
Just now, Purga said:

There's some rather sexy snow spikes showing on the London GEFS

image.thumb.png.282b287cf01d6d08ece70915e66654d8.png

I think the Mods ought to censor this type of thing.

I've been posting these in the SE thread the trouble is the mean is offering barely a dusting its only really a few stray ensembles but good to think optimistically

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, IDO said:

Worth remembering the MJO signal has been subdued due to the La Nina background so we shall have to see if the current forecasts are likely to land. NCEP in their latest MJO update: 

RMM forecasts are often influenced by the low frequency La Niña signal, which can result in them incorrectly predicting strong MJO events.
• This has been the case during the past several weeks and will remain a concern throughout the duration of the La Niña event, which means we are likely to have reduced confidence in MJO forecasts during this time.

source > here <

Does this also apply to the EC MJO? It looks a bit more conservative without so many outliers then GFS

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

Phase 7 is preferred

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow like '63 - Sun like '76

Morning all

Fabulous weather last night and we all got a shock with the west side ( I have two engineers stuck over there currently!)..... This why weather is so fascinating. Our local forecast here in Leeds last night has a coldish but dry weekend and I am looking at your Sunday charts with snow on them.

Keep up the great forecasting and, while there is so much uncertainty past 3 to 5 days, isn't that what makes it fun to ponder what could be based on experience. From what I am reading on here and from Judah Cohen, we just don't know for certain and the "Nailed on" I saw earlier  might have to sit on the shelf for a few weeks yet!

Roll on the next chapter 'cause I don't think we are finished with any extreme ....... As I said before, great site and effective moderators ... even for grumpy Yorkshiremen!!  

• Like 4

Posted

Seems there is a massive drop predicted in the northern hemisphere for the end of that month

attachment.php?thumbnail=33692

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Grumpy Yorkshireman said:

For us less well qualified folks.... or just me, Can you explain that chart Vikos Please?

It's another effect of the stratospheric development that can be seen. The temperature anomaly of the entire northern hemisphere experiences a real crash, which means that the temperatures on the continents are falling. This is no accident, so there are reasons. And this is even so as GFS has a real warm BIAS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2