Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

15 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Latest EC46.

25 januari tm 1 feb.JPG

1 feb tm 8 feb.JPG

8 tm 15 feb.JPG

You need to post charts with the key attached! Otherwise they are just colours on a screen......

Edited by chris55
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

High level of uncertainty or Shannon Entropy for the medium term, but for Saturday could be some some snow surprises for Wales midlands and southern Southwestern England. Watch this space....! 

h850t850eu-19.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
39 minutes ago, Brassmonkeylily said:

I am surprised and amazed that the posters in this  thread seem to have no interest  in the weather over the next 3 days ..it looks certain now we will be having a major weather event in terms of rainfall and potential flooding I would have expected lots of worried posters interpreting the charts.. but no still chasing fantasy  cold events 8-10 days away .... 

It's very worrying indeed, hopefully those in flood prone areas are okay.

However, it rains on and off for about 4 months of the year and is hardly that rare during summer (getting much rarer, our Summers are far drier, more humid and generally more of a chore each year now) either. It rains on and off over the course of a year, quite often a lot and for days at a time.

It snows a very small handful of times during any winter, if we are lucky and for those reasons people will always want to chose to discuss/chase something that you might not see for years....over something you can see most days for 4 or 5 months of the year.

FWIW, rain seems to be everyone's least favourite type of weather. Which to me seems genuinely strange, I'd much sooner have weather like this to discuss, or even a raging zonal Atlantic than I would high pressure or boredom. So there is a time and a place for focusing on rain - namely from April to September, just not in winter (never will be either).

Edited by PolarWarsaw
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hullsnow87 said:

So this means we could be in for a cold start to feb?

Perhaps so, but these charts have changed their mind since September at virtually every turn. 

They are IMO, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Though admittedly, they do occasionally show a general trend worth following.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
1 hour ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Hi there, 

In short no.

Any effects of the SSW are being felt further north and much further east than the UK/Europe with most of the cold air still stuck where it has been for months. Wintry hazards appear to be marginal and predominantly favourable for those in Scotland.

It's a waiting game in terms of whether more damage can be done to the Vortex in the next month or so to bring us a cold spell. As of right now it's more whether we can find a route to cold without the effects of an SSW - as of right now the SSW has had and looks like having zero impact on the UK at the surface. If anything the SSW has been more unhelpful for our weather as it has potentially disrupted a reasonable pattern from beforehand and increased energy in the Atlantic that wasn't there before.

The outlook is chilly and wet this week, with snow for Scotland and the hills of Northern England, but not cold enough elsewhere. Lots of rain this week and then the chance of us drying out next week as we settle down but continue the 'cooler' theme. Sadly, zero wintry weather is in the forecast or on the horizon for most of England as we continue towards the end January.

All in all, very typical for the UK. The disappointing winter and weather at the surface continues for those wanting something more snowy.

To be fair for people who don’t think Scotland begins after Manchester this winter has been good so far. Inland northern areas have had snow cover most days since Xmas Eve. Looking at the models northern England is in for more of the same over next few weeks.

We still have another two months of winter weather to come and looking at the models northern areas are rarely far from the cold. Hopefully we see the impacts of the SSW. I for one think especially for my location winter is far from over.

5C6D5820-67FD-4DF6-AC22-7A2117095A87.jpeg

1685A6BD-F9D0-40B5-9795-7F4C2B9FDB33.jpeg

904E13F5-CEBB-40C1-B823-BC935FFD201B.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, PolarWarsaw said:

Perhaps so, but these charts have changed their mind since September at virtually every turn. 

They are IMO, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Though admittedly, they do occasionally show a general trend worth following.

It does seem a little more chaotic at the moment.

I'm hoping the mjo news is genuine, that will be another key in unlocking the Atlantic,which is almost certainly ripe for wedges...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Rumours swirling around twitter the MJO is now on the move to a more favourable phase...( actually that sounds a bit dramatic lol)..

Anyway, if the mjo does indeed move in coldies favour any unsettled phase may not be that long lasting?

Holy sh*t what does it need to get proper cold to our shores these days, SSW, MJO on board too, I know QBO isn’t but solar input is.  It does look from the 12z output that an unsettled spell is inevitable, I won’t say Atlantic driven as there is no energy there, but it is winning because nothing else in our vicinity is driving things either...I don’t think this situation will last and think something will move things on, but don’t know when or what...so we wait.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

It does seem a little more chaotic at the moment.

I'm hoping the mjo news is genuine, that will be another key in unlocking the Atlantic,which is almost certainly ripe for wedges...

I hope you are right mate and admire your optimism. 

Personally I've realised that I learn more from looking at charts myself and listening to the wise guys on this forum than I do looking at any forecast, anything on social media etc. 

My only opinion right now is that all of these 'background' drivers, the MJO etc - they are all as flippant as the CFS or an individual GFS ensemble member, they flop and change on a daily basis. One day they are heading into a favourable spell for us, the next morning it's doom.

Until we learn more about them and how they imprint on the weather in our locale/at our surface (not fussed about what's happening in Russia for example) then for me they are built on very wobbly ground and can continue to be used in the same faith as the GFS updating every 6 hours of the day. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks like this developing Low Pressure will bring stormy conditions to the Eastern counties of both Scotland and England and a Foam bath in the North Sea.

ukgust.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Conversely, once an SSWE has played its hands and the NH profile has been imprinted with the blocking pattern, output becomes easier for the models to fathom as the long wave pattern is dictated by the strat coupling. That is maybe the reason why we have across the board support for the upcoming period and have had for days. The d10 means from gem, gfs and ecm:

11052150_gensnh-31-1-240(6).thumb.png.ee940bed8d2ec3669c033d672296e702.png824477254_gensnh-21-1-240(3).thumb.png.56765f324d2278e77c2ebc353423e91f.png450747510_EDH1-240(10).thumb.gif.25652d066e2d15c3e9ca1159755d8991.gif

So with that clarity it is more about the fine print of peaks and troughs to drive some transient scraps of cold. D10 and unity as to those chart:

gens-31-0-240.thumb.png.ea3e3ccc0436f2a8ed0a6f4b50681577.png814149605_EDM0-240(1).thumb.gif.9a4979e4ad8497696a2c3ecd65c07215.gif1113660036_gens-21-0-240(1).thumb.png.37b9219f06e0b3c4c5090cb954cb3515.png

It is therefore maybe reasonable to agree on a baseline for the next 10-12 days (IMBY): Tuesday and Wednesday just above average, colder from then until Monday or Tuesday (2-4c below average), then maybe staying below average or alternatively around average (two temp clusters). I do not see any very mild or very cold, but below average for the next 12-days as a whole (ditto to d16). Extrapolate to colder the further north you are and snowier the higher the elevation. Based on this type of flow, those of us down south cannot expect too much. Post-d12 is where maybe things could get colder quicker than they are showing currently. All JFF and IMHO (usual caveats, disclaimers, etc).

• Like 4

Posted

13 minutes ago, Snow White said:

To be fair for people who don’t think Scotland begins after Manchester this winter has been good so far. Inland northern areas have had snow cover most days since Xmas Eve. Looking at the models northern England is in for more of the same over next few weeks.

We still have another two months of winter weather to come and looking at the models northern areas are rarely far from the cold. Hopefully we see the impacts of the SSW. I for one think especially for my location winter is far from over.

5C6D5820-67FD-4DF6-AC22-7A2117095A87.jpeg

1685A6BD-F9D0-40B5-9795-7F4C2B9FDB33.jpeg

904E13F5-CEBB-40C1-B823-BC935FFD201B.jpeg

I certainly don't think it's winter over at all. As I mentioned, plenty of time left to get widespread snow to the UK. It's just as soon as you get into February and then mid-month you suddenly start finding the days are 3 hours longer, the sun is warmer etc. You need considerably more 'notable' synoptics to provide good spells at that point. Although it's very disappointing to see the 'slider' theme dropped from this weekend as that's the golden ticket for most of the country to get a decent snowfall this winter.

I've had 4 snowfalls this season, all of them stuck around for a day or so and all were 1-2CM deep, we've been very lucky here as we are probably the southern most and most lowest lying area away to see accumulating snow on more than 1 occasion. I'm quite content with that. I do feel with an SSW, the zero Vortex this season and everything else that's fallen favourably, that it's a massive shame to have not had quite a long, notable, cold and widespread snowy spell this season and I think most, especially South of the M4 would echo that.

No doubting it's been the most IMBY winter for years, somewhere from Buxton through to Yorkshire and then northwards has had it's best and most snowy winter in years.

Edited by PolarWarsaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
5 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Looks like this developing Low Pressure will bring stormy conditions to the Eastern counties of both Scotland and England and a Foam bath in the North Sea.

ukgust.png

Luckily, its going the wrong way for a storm surge here, Denmark and S. Sweden may have some issues though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Anyone fancy giving a little run down of the MJO and how it has an effect on global patterns? I know its a tropical oscillation that moves around the planet, and see it mentioned on the thread often.

What do the phases represent and how do the different phases influence blocking patterns at the Northern latitudes?

Im thinking this may be a bit to complicated a question for the mod thread but if anyone can sum it up simply that would be great. If not ill have to do some reading. Thanks.

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
36 minutes ago, WinterWilf said:

For instance it is the 18th of Jan and it is already storm Christoph.

Already? Storm season started on Sept 01st so this is only 3rd named by Met office or Met Eireann well into month 5.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, iand61 said:

And on this side of the Pennines as well.

if the rain amounts being talked about come off I’d imagine many of the records set on Boxing Day 2015 will be under threat.

a worrying time for anyone in a flood prone area and made even worse by all public buildings being out of bounds due to COVID although I imagine that will soon change if evacuations are needed.

Yes my mum has the River Aire running at the back of her garden in Apperley Bridge and ive just had a call from my mate who works for Calderdale Council Flood Risk Management and he quite worryingly said this could be worse than Boxing Day 2015! Start to move things now for her is not something I want to hear......What with shielding from Covid and now this no thanks!!!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Anyone fancy giving a little run down of the MJO and how it has an effect on global patterns? I know its a tropical oscillation that moves around the planet, and see it mentioned on the thread often.

What do the phases represent and how do the different phases influence blocking patterns at the Northern latitudes?

Im thinking this may be a bit to complicated a question for the mod thread but if anyone can sum it up simply that would be great. If not ill have to do some reading. Thanks.

@Scott Ingham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

The full 6 weeks of EC46- a drying up trend and id hazard a guess a lot of snow up north especially Scotland while the south/east could be in the game by 2nd week of February

(Pressure anomalies not in week order)655643536_Screenshot_20210118-203045_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9c0d2bc2d32a7dd7ba83a6122685f37f.jpg 

Screenshot_20210118-203037_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203040_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203104_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203110_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203155_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203207_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203215_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203220_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203258_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203301_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203313_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203317_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210118-203321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, FreezingFog said:

Already? Storm season started on Sept 01st so this is only 3rd named by Met office or Met Eireann well into month 5.  

I think they’ve already gone through the alphabet once so this is now alphabet part 2 .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
32 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Holy sh*t what does it need to get proper cold to our shores these days, SSW, MJO on board too, I know QBO isn’t but solar input is.  It does look from the 12z output that an unsettled spell is inevitable, I won’t say Atlantic driven as there is no energy there, but it is winning because nothing else in our vicinity is driving things either...I don’t think this situation will last and think something will move things on, but don’t know when or what...so we wait.

MJO on the move and potentially a further warming event to come,surely we will get some rewards from this! Apparently though MJO 6 would be bad news for the East States though,and probably keep them milder..And perhaps this storm may give it some kind of kick in the ghoolies and get things moving. The signs moving forward are favouring us though.

• Like 6