Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

And now the ECM op joins the party. The incremental weakening of the Atlantic flow. Just a couple of days ago we had long fetch southwesterlies surging across the UK around day ten. Now the trend is one of increased amplification. Albeit still yet to push the whole of the UK into cold air but it feels as though that may be the direction of travel towards the end of January.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The strat has been rock solid on the ridge establishing around the n Atlantic sector from the north  in week 2 ....perhaps the 12z runs are beginning to sniff that imprinting onto the trop ..... let’s see how many eps members drift that way - mwb has indicated that this isn’t a completely left field option ...

2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Early Feb often delivers a cold spell so wouldn’t be surprised if day 12-14 sees a ridge. It will probably be last chance saloon. Just gutted that after the promising start in Dec (PV never really got going ) followed by an early SSW, we still couldn’t get a decent cold spell in the heart of winter  

I'm not sure anyone wants to wait until the end of March for confirmation that we missed out on significant cold from the SSW, but from the little I've read on the subject it's far too soon to be drawing conclusions. Initially a lot of speculation here, mostly hoping for QTR, but any disappointment there in doesn't guarantee outcomes yet to play out. 

It would seem very prudent to keep a close eye for strat to trop effects. I thought that was the nature of the game, we wait and see

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think it could link with the previous high, as per:

63379B42-4B58-473F-8E9A-630637F3C9A2.thumb.jpeg.de63432a06af190a4252262a96cc1ab3.jpeg

Which would give a stronger ridge upstream of the UK, less sure re your location!

Ok... more runs needed

And south GB shares the same latitude with Germany (around 50°N)

But bluearmy pointed out something very good, indeed....

12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The strat has been rock solid on the ridge establishing around the n Atlantic sector from the north  in week 2 ....perhaps the 12z runs are beginning to sniff that imprinting onto the trop ..... let’s see how many eps members drift that way - mwb has indicated that this isn’t a completely left field option ...

Lets wait for the clusters....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Gadje said:

'gefs mean at d13 '  no comment.

Hi Gadje, 

Discussing a day 13 mean from the GFS that's actually going out of commission because of it's notorious woeful performance, especially after the Day 10 period, right during the middle of a period of time where the models haven't got a clue what's going to happen at Day 5. 

In terms of the models today, you really do have to feel sorry for the South, specifically those south of the M4. I am not hopeful of seeing snow towards the back end of the week as far South as Birmingham, so at this point I'd put the discussed areas above at no more than a 5% chance of seeing snowfall at the end of the week. Buxton north could see quite a wintry spell again from Thursday onwards. There has been a real divide across the country so far this year, more so than I can remember normally. 

In terms of realistically understanding where we go during this complex time, a point to remember whilst reading and one that is more apparent now and will be this week more so than usual, is reading the location of the poster commenting. There will be a large difference in tone of post depending on location.

It's not a perfect scenario, but we are still in a more promising, if frustrating situation than normal - there's plenty of marginal snow events on the horizon IMO, it just depends whether the exact IMBY nature of things is snow, or rain. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Weakly negative NAO with low pressure to the North East of the U.K. isn’t conducive to a severely cold spell.

I might be talking rubbish but didn't the cold spell of February 1991 coincide with a positive NAO?  I believe that winter had a positive NAO overall but was still cold.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I might be talking rubbish but didn't the cold spell of February 1991 coincide with a positive NAO?  I believe that winter had a positive NAO overall but was still cold.

Yeah with +NAO you can still see cold spells. But we usually look to NE for blocking.

BE91B3A2-949A-4F0D-AB52-90235A7F0FFE.thumb.png.895c17c6fb794664017cf729b0bf3c65.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just a little heads up. For those discussing/complaining about other members in here with others, be better to carry on the discussion over Private Message. Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The NH pattern is unfavourable to allow deep cold conditions over the U.K. especially in the South. Too much cyclonic between Scotland and Norway and an established positive NAO to allow anything other than normal winters weather.

The SSW has already failed to deliver with the vortex all set to recover during the remainder of the winter.

I disagree. The effects of a SSW usually take at least a month to be fully felt at the surface. This coupled with Feb usually being the winter month that the Atlantic is quietest I believe means we have the best chance of prolonged cold weather still in front of us. Also we now have cold air in Scandy Eurasia so if we do get favourable Synoptics they will hopefully produce widespread snow.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I haven’t had time to analyse the models up to day 6 and work Out what happens next.  What I would have said that a period of unsettled weather would continue with both mild and cold outbreaks thrown into the mix with all three.  With the ensembles messier than a plateful of spaghetti I think it may be a few days before a new coherent signal is shown.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Hi Gadje, 

Discussing a day 13 mean from the GFS that's actually going out of commission because of it's notorious woeful performance, especially after the Day 10 period, right during the middle of a period of time where the models haven't got a clue what's going to happen at Day 5. 

You are my harshest critic, but I make no bones about it and never have, I focus on the medium term. There are plenty of comments on pre-d5 but that takes little in the way of interpretation from my POV as the verification is very good at that point. 

For me, looking at that d13 chart, here:

1835968893_gensnh-31-1-324(1).thumb.png.0d9b3262c26b9f219ab66068d4f02fc3.png

I am intrigued by the continuation of that reverse zonal flow to our north, in a mean at that range. That may in fact be an imprint from the strat? If not what is going on? These questions and possible answers pique my interest!

Posters still get excited by the much discredited d10 ecm height-biased charts but you do not disparage those. The ecm d10 mean:

1182219543_EDE1-240(1).thumb.gif.e2c8352a23226e7b27d3e65fa7484261.gif

We can all enjoy different aspects of model watching and if you disagree maybe some reasons other than it is d13, and your alternative take so we can have a pleasant discussion? Cheers.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.afa8396c3ac607cec2c89fa63ca52df7.png

this epitomises what Roger is saying, the storm could very likely start sending further troughing further south...and that’s where this starts and leads to.

half of winter still ahead, I think we sit in a reasonable place going forward.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Weakly negative NAO with low pressure to the North East of the U.K. isn’t conducive to a severely cold spell.

Neither is it a positive NAO like you are saying!

• Like 5

Posted

As said this morning it is a chaotic picture, and difficult to pinpoint eventual trends longer term. Models showing signal for secondary lows or runners zipping into the base of the deep trough and this would I imagine suppress any attempt for those Iberian heights to ridge north.

A very plausible evolution would therefore be increased amplification in the azores high, as these developments anchor down on the Iberian heights, kicking them west, trough then allowed to advect away east and most importantly SE into Europe, this would then allow height rises to our NE with the azores high riding over with a link up. Indeed this is exactly what the GFS is showing today.

All eyes mid week on these secondary low/frontal/runner features running into the base of the trough.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

All eyes mid week on these secondary low/frontal/runner features running into the base of the trough.

Yes. I would have thought there is potential for surprise snow falls cropping up just about anywhere towards the end of the week and into the weekend.  Perhaps some nowcasting scenarios?

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.bbc16b6cac2ebdfce6c6103657f045d6.png That straggling front over the Northwest is further south.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Well the ECM clusters are a thing, 5 in the pre T96 timeframe, then 1 only in the next two timeframes, then 3 in the long range T264+:

10BD29B2-A408-4D19-9E53-E6C3C35F08EF.thumb.png.1db9543544da9b71c2810de121d19762.png

So in the mid range there is too much uncertainty to split clusters, and then there is in the longer term.  This happens sometimes, particularly when a SSW is the hidden driver of patterns down here.  

So what of the 3 clusters?  Well some HLB is clear for all, but it is way too far north most of the time, Cluster 3 looks like a route to a Scandi high which would probably suit us best.  But don’t forget the uncertainty earlier.  

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes. I would have thought there is potential for surprise snow falls cropping up just about anywhere towards the end of the week and into the weekend.  Perhaps some nowcasting scenarios?

Yes definitely a nowcast situation. The models will struggle to pinpoint the development and trajectory of such features I imagine. I'm expecting the models to also position the major frontal feature due to arrive later tomorrow to a possible slightly more southerly position, with the colder air to the north have a greater forcing, this in itself could change the situation for later in the week to one more conducive for more widespread cold and wintry conditions.. 

Fax charts are the ones to look at first this week before the models I feel.

• Like 2

Posted

Interested in seeing the EC members ?

complete_model_modez_2021011712_276_1642
METEOLOGIX.COM

ECMWF IFS HRES (10 days) - Current forecast valid for 01/29/2021, 01:00am of parameter "Mean Sea Level Pressure", model chart for map "Europe"

Knipsel.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Hardly any real cold members in the plume. EC240H average shows a cold Scandinavia.

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_2.png

That cold pool in Scandi is important imo.  That storm won’t pass through, then we see the future follow up troughs getting shunted on more southerly track as they won’t be able to follow it’s track.  This then opens doors to future developments.

BFTP

• Like 4