Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

From a german outlook site:

gfsstratanalyseprognosen1701bis24012021p

On January 17th, 2021, GFS expects that the polar vortex of Greenland at a height of around 16km (100 hPa, left) will join the main vortex over Siberia as a European trough by January 21st, 2021 (middle), thus turning the high-altitude current over Western and Central Europe on SW and there is temporary mitigation. With the further shift of the European trough to the east (right), the current turns back to NW directions and it will be wintry again on the weekend of January 23/24, 2021.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I think the latest Met Office Warnings sums it up for next week:

1199985889_Screenshot2021-01-17at12_18_33.thumb.png.37345c5e31f4345c71d1aa8bbdaf5e03.png 114-777UK.thumb.gif.9b6b4fd52fea918077ef54cb81cd00ee.gif

For the North, rain Tuesday, Wednesday and some of Thursday. No mention of snow atm.

The south gets the worst of it on Thursday. Rain totals above for the end of Thursday! Some regions getting 125% of their Jan averages in a few days!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
28 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Looking at the latest models, I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air..the cold is being prolonged?..nuff said!

Waiting for 'One model to rule them all'

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, IDO said:

1199985889_Screenshot2021-01-17at12_18_33.thumb.png.37345c5e31f4345c71d1aa8bbdaf5e03.png 114-777UK.thumb.gif.9b6b4fd52fea918077ef54cb81cd00ee.gif

For the North, rain Tuesday, Wednesday and some of Thursday. No mention of snow atm.

The south gets the worst of it on Thursday. Rain totals above for the end of Thursday! Some regions getting 125% of their Jan averages in a few days!

Which means I'll probably end up with a well below average CET for January, well above rainfall, but snowless!

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Reverse psychology is even better?!..

Oh you can't beat reverse psychology Jon!  The ride of winter 2020/21 continues........

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

For the first half of the week yes not all week... Meto do mention snow showers pushing South to all areas on Thursday... But yes a milder very wet few days coming up to start the week which was expected given the Models recently with flooding a major concern, then colder air pushing South from Thursday again as per recent Models.

Yes, I did say "atm" as I thought that with a solid forecast for snow later in the week they may have put up a yellow:

anim_gvz9.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Just flicked through the jest stream on the GFS and it`s not a pretty sight. It may aid battleground scenarios but southerly it`s not in the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
52 minutes ago, IDO said:

Yes, I did say "atm" as I thought that with a solid forecast for snow later in the week they may have put up a yellow:

anim_gvz9.gif

The METO never have and never will put warnings out past 4 days, so that's understandable.

Edit- This is incorrect on my behalf, they do put warnings out up to 7 days ahead ☺️

Edited by Polar Maritime
Slipped a cog..
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

The METO never have and never will put warnings out past 4 days, so that's understandable.

They have many a time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
15 minutes ago, legritter said:

Looking at charts and reading around various sites etc and going by very volatile output we are heading for a very serious spell of wintry weather .copious rain ,gales ,sleet SNOW , a Fair CHANCE of snow even at lower levels, yet to be forecast because of the range involved, im liking the  thought of disturbances approaching the UK later this week, but this is 5 to 6 days away ,so fingers crossed for the particular area you live in ,think its going to be a postcode Lottery on this one With BS25 in the sweetspot !!! .so no Beest yet ,but Snow chances for many going by current output. Squirrels darting about in the garden chattering to themselves something about SLIders , local Donkey muttered theres a 510 dam coming , a fair Ecm earlier, gfs well another wind up coming in 3 hour's time , take care all ,and yes sausage bap brown sauce and Stellas on me , . 

Oh man, I would love a sausage bap right now!...I still believe the change too mild beyond the upcoming cold plunge shown on the 0z / 6z. is being delayed?!..come on ssw, do your stuff, make a repeat of the last ssw  that delivered.. 2016 March..come on, you can do it..if you really chew it!  

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
27 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They have many a time.

Not that I can ever remember, but I will leave the meto discussion.

Edit- You are correct after asking them directly they can/have put them out up to 7 days ahead. So I will retract my statement

Edited by Polar Maritime
Slipped a cog..
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, legritter said:

Looking at charts and reading around various sites etc and going by very volatile output we are heading for a very serious spell of wintry weather .copious rain ,gales ,sleet SNOW , a Fair CHANCE of snow even at lower levels, yet to be forecast because of the range involved, im liking the  thought of disturbances approaching the UK later this week, but this is 5 to 6 days away ,so fingers crossed for the particular area you live in ,think its going to be a postcode Lottery on this one With BS25 in the sweetspot !!! .so no Beest yet ,but Snow chances for many going by current output. Squirrels darting about in the garden chattering to themselves something about SLIders , local Donkey muttered theres a 510 dam coming , a fair Ecm earlier, gfs well another wind up coming in 3 hour's time , take care all ,and yes sausage bap brown sauce and Stellas on me , . 

Great post mate, I for one is looking forward to a good old fashioned battleground uk.

let’s just hope it don’t end up being a cold sausage sarnie with a carling shandy ayy.

I do feel there will be some fairly big swings in the output in the coming days

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, IDO said:

Thursday according to GFS we're in the game at least

image.thumb.png.b66a5fdd132a2e68f107941b3847d870.png

image.thumb.png.69ced6af89273d644c0f54163a0c7d6d.png

image.thumb.png.565e3e4ac49096a990bf06dffdb14f67.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Wedges appearing in the darkest depths of the 6z GEFS.. akin to the OP very weak surface heights N/NE bringing Easterly winds, not all are alinged correctly but just an observation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, legritter said:

Given your location legritter, I'd be inclined to pitch a tent up at Crooks Peak if it's snow you're after the way things are going on

• Like 1