Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
19 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Interesting to see if UKV sticks to showing sleet and snow over virtutally the entire SE 1/3 of the country as this morning it consistently forecast rain/sleet only for a number of places (blue shades) which proved right its my go to model now along with Icon 

Oh no not again, saw a few flakes this morning amongst the rain  , Hooray , Anyway here is the Mighty Navgem this evening at 156 hrs . No good for us mate but some will profit from this . 

4474391C-6A49-4E1C-BB94-DF969CCF160F.png

9FF8A899-78AC-4A63-80AF-69F1CB3814C2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

What we have to remember here is that just a very small change early on in the run can make massive differences later on, especially atm. Things are more volatile than usual. I personally think there will be some big swings in the output over the next couple of days. Nothing is nailed atm. I wouldn’t wana be doing the country file forcast tomorrow that’s for sure. Keep the faith people there changes afoot 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
34 minutes ago, Don said:

As I alluded to earlier, if we didn't have those pesky heights to the south, the outlook would be pretty good with more southerly tracking lows!

This all hinges on enough forcing by the Greenland high south to stop the low pressures heading north getting caught up in the easterly flow and blowing up allowing the azores to ridge north and putting the UK in a SW/W flow. corrections south is crucial here and has been the general direction last few runs. 

• Like 2

Posted

I see comments it's the UKMO vs the rest but I don't see it that way, all the models look pretty similar too me and its just the details which of course can make a huge difference. 

People also mentioning its weird why the low is deepening that much but it makes sence as there is mild air and cold air clashing into the same system so makes it more unstable and deepens it. Probably other factors also so its not a certainty the low will actually deepen and in theory this may increase any snow risk there might be. Either way, the ideal set up would be that low to head as far east ass possible which allows more colder air to filter in from the north, if the centre of the low is too close and its too deep, less cold air will filter in. 

Its going to be a tough week getting the details right but the rainfall risk does look more of a concern than snowfall at this stage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Its going to be a tough week getting the details right but the rainfall risk does look more of a concern than snowfall at this stage. 

The Metoffice now have yellow warnings for rain covering Wales and North West England from Monday to Wednesday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

GFS looks like the ridge may hold at +72 gfsnh-0-72.thumb.png.57601990d6b45ac5fc45376d7838d43e.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
11 minutes ago, icykev said:

GFS looks like the ridge may hold at +72 gfsnh-0-72.thumb.png.57601990d6b45ac5fc45376d7838d43e.png

We aren't focused on that part of the run what we are focused on is the 120/144hr time mark what we are looking for is for the two lows not to phase and to avoid any shortwaves from the Eastern US and Scandi Low's. Therefore we maintain a better Atlantic Ridge this means that the Greenland high is stronger and thus hopefully pushes the pattern further south allowing cooler northerly air to drop down behind it. 

Otherwise if we don't maintain that high or it doesn't get reinforced by the artic high then the jet stream gets forced further north again and we end up in a SW air stream as a consequence as the Azores High starts ridging into Iberia again. 

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

Still holding @126 and further east, looks like its trying to link up with artic heightsgfsnh-0-126.thumb.png.2fcd468cab3eb0da17120714f7a21fc5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
20 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

UKMO sticking to its guns at 144

Edit: GFS at the same time.

UN144-21 (21).gif

UN144-7 (2).gif

gfsnh-0-144 (18).png

gfsnh-1-144.png

GFS not quite as good as the UKMO, looks good at 120 like the UKMO but then blows the low up and elongates the low in the mid Atlantic. Although it does have that similar little low over Italy which may become helpful if that strengthens to keep the AH out of Southern Europe. 

It does drop the cooler air around +144 but the AH ridging back into S Europe stops the low from sinking and introduces milder air. 

One thing to notice is can we eek out any extra amplification at +120 as seen on both runs to help us especially without blowing up that low pressure to the east of us and whether we can get a favourable angle from the low exiting the US to get some WAA to assist the Atlantic Ridge.

gfs-0-120.thumb.png.58e269d9c1d77c34edf0c3a0244c3974.png

Secondly the GFS P looks better doesn't blow that low up and in turn keeps some of the cooler -6 air in and brings in a nice slider around Day 7 although feels academic at that stage. 

In my opinion follow the OP GFS up to 120/144 hrs then follow the Parallel from there. 

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Well well well ECM...

Having second thoughts?

Certainly a colder 00z run than yesterday's offerings...

image.thumb.png.5022d9945c863a8c01bc4dfc29b946d6.png

It's very quiet this morning NWS, hopefully this will please people when they wake up.

Very volatile models still, keeps me coming back for more.

• Like 3

Posted

Well if you love your weather, it probably doesn't get any more interesting than this. Persistent, heavy rain leading to flooding for the first half of the week (not sure how anyone could like that though!),  Gales and showery second half with everything including the kitchen sink thrown in, and then significant snow prospects over the weekend depending on the track of the lows...this I feel is going to cause severe stress in here over the week as models chop and change the trajectory of these systems. Still, if your stuck indoors, it'll keep us entertained

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 7

Posted

Yes a much better EC with colder air persisting until day 9..

Perhaps the first hints the local forecast is picking up on colder weather from thurs with mention of cold with wintry showers ....

Certainly a snowy outlook at altitude locally if we can get the precip...

• Like 3