Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
29 minutes ago, IDO said:

Just looking through Twitter to see what is going on. A lot of despondency there, it appears that the hype was exaggerated and feeds are full of puzzled punters. Canada has been above average all winter and the US not seeing much cold. Cohen doesn't have his usual cold focus, a reconstituted sPV showing up on GFS apparently, and maybe heading towards Canada by the end of January, nothing much to hype pre-then and that is what is showing in the models. Marco hinting at a slow recovery for the sPV after the next warming.

The new wave expectation of an SSWE seems to raise hopes and so far the coupling has been rather tame for many regions. People expecting the BFTE and weeks of locked in cold, this qtr has not delivered that at all. 

It is a learning curve for me as I suspect that we do not yet have enough data to be specific with these warming events. We will see how it fairs for the rest of the winter. Still no snow in my location and may just be too far west to see tomorrows!

That's a moan

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I am personally frustrated for UK coldies who seem to get continual bad luck . And having lived in the UK for a long time I know just how frustrating it is .

Irritatingly tonight there is good agreement across the big 3 models ops at day 6 .  Timing wise some changes as in phasing with the upstream Atlantic troughing post day 6 could help going forward . The other issue is the reinforcement of the UK troughing from the ne with that parcel of deeper vorticity which stops any se momentum .

There are some smallish changes which could help . I await further runs with hope !

Well I am slightly annoyed my original post was deleted but we move on, I can only reply to the reply.

Your analysis suggests we are doomed and we have a zonal south westerly type situation with all hope of colder flow gone??  Surely these charts suggest something better for cold liking people?? I can only assume you are looking at upstream patterns and the like, because the raw UK charts at 144 look ok to me....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ill even throw ECM day 7 in....

spacer.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks . Unfortunately everything that can go wrong does in tonight’s outputs .

It’s very disappointing for coldies but we’ve been here before , many times .

Please tell me what goes wrong Nick, and why everything that can go wrong has gone wrong in tonights output?? I just don't get it!

I just don't!

Im going to post it again...what has gone wrong in the UKMO 144? I am coming from the perspective of someone who has been following the ups and downs of the recent modelling.

spacer.png

I know you are a knowledgeable poster and probably will shoot me down with some detailed information I am missing. But at face value I can't see it.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
6 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Well I am slightly annoyed my original post was deleted but we move on, I can only reply to the reply.

Your analysis suggests we are doomed and we have a zonal south westerly type situation with all hope of colder flow gone??  Surely these charts suggest something better for cold liking people?? I can only assume you are looking at upstream patterns and the like, because the raw UK charts at 144 look ok to me....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ill even throw ECM day 7 in....

spacer.png

No, many of us are just commenting on the model runs and trying to make sense of it. We do all understand that it can flip or the models could be wrong and that cold could show up at short notice. However, it is what it is and it would be nice if you did not shoot the messenger! 

We can also see that this winter is stop-start, a few days of cold and a few days of less cold weather, and unless we can see a reason why that will change we cannot just assume it will? We have some milder days coming, then a colder spell from mid-week and maybe a less-cold spell after that (d10+). That is what the models show and x-model at that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
14 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Alrighty as the pub run rolls, let’s not forget a few things:

• the models are not sentient beings and don’t care how you feel. Take the emotion out of it! Objective discussion is the name of the game in here. 

• the people posting on this thread however DO have feelings so can we try and keep it civil, because let’s face it, it’s hard enough out there at the moment, for all of us, so consider if your comment is going to improve or ruin someone’s week

• no Willy waving. Please. It’s not necessary. 

thanks!

That was a fab post jo..I nearly choked on my allbran when you said...no willy waving in here. What you said about the models having know emotions and not caring how we feel is true...but those Humans who input the data into em must be divoid of emotions also....can't they see how its upsetting everyone.  

Edit..sorry chio...know more off topic from me.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Absolutely. You'd think we haven't just seen a decent snowfall in some parts from a very borderline context - and here in N Lincs it was close to an ice day in parts. Next to no melt anywhere, temps at most 1 degree. Some snow for other parts tomorrow. Good grief - already this is the coldest and most productive January in many years. And it is only Jan 15.....I want another BFTE as much as anyone, or a dramatic Feb 91 or Jan 87 style event. But these are rare, and we are doing ok so far. We could have had better....but we could also have had the raging +NAO predicted by the seasonals. A bit of perspective is needed in many quarters. 6 - 8 weeks still to go........

With all due respect yes this January has been cold so far yes some people have had snowfall and had a lying snow yet not all part of the country have had snowfall during the cold spell I do hope this SSW is not going to be a repeat of winter 2019 lot of volatility in the models at this moment and I am sure once the SSW is over the model will get a handle on things yes and I do understand why some people are moaning and they do have the right to do that I suppose all the wintry cold charts are 10 days away never get past the 10 day mark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

Mods I'd rather you move my posts to the winter chat thread than delete, especially as they are non-argumentative..

To be fair Kas , you should be putting them there - meanwhile 18z at 186h is different again to the 12z 

image.thumb.png.6f76a4816ae0a665a5c5885ad794cb88.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.f6112d3d8b1ef8aff7467b97f52f85b7.png

i may have missed by 4hpa but I reckon we can get from New York to central Siberia on the same easterly isobar .....

I was just thinking something similar. Surely that's a response to the SSW. Just not in our favour. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Ok, so no regional or location analysis of the models allowed in here. 

Will be interesting to try and analyze the UK as a whole.

The rhetoric around ‘I’m so sad it won’t snow in xxxxx’ isn’t model or location analysis though is it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.f6112d3d8b1ef8aff7467b97f52f85b7.png

i may have missed by 4hpa but I reckon we can get from New York to central Siberia on the same easterly isobar .....

Wow

GettyImages-121285868.jpg

Posted

GFSp has snow accross central areas next weekend.

*That’s all I need to say,  not Buxton, not Stevenage, I just say what the models are showing * ??‍♂️

4AB48CAC-60A6-406A-8AAE-A7684F0331F3.png

21DF641A-1B75-4A3C-88D3-895E699E8730.png

E8F8E859-9EF8-4842-B4C8-BEFF4B5CDA52.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not much to say really, the models are showing consistency pre-d10 which is usually the case when they have had that eureka moment:

12z755460023_gfseu-0-216(1).thumb.png.209fdec2bdc388972011c53e2b050665.png 18zgfseu-0-210.thumb.png.b9a6ea9ee8e960f852943027accd1be4.png

Slightly less cold from mid-week (uppers) on this run but well within the envelope of possibilities. The Greenland wedge gets cut off earlier, a sign that the models have been over estimating heights, a usual issue?

I really think this is nailed on for the long wave pattern for our region until around d10, just the detail to be ironed out, and we take it from there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

18z yesterday vs 18z today

spacer.pngspacer.png

12z yesterday vs 12z today

spacer.png  spacer.png

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1