Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted

Ecm still poor for the South but better further north, feels like we are just chasing shadows further south, and lack of posts seems to indicate that. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Is it just me or is the pendulum slowly, step-by-step swinging back in the world of synoptic weather models? 
I am just excited about the evening runs, also for those EC 00z scenarios...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Personally I don't think we're anywhere near finished with where the modelling may take us for later next week. To much chipping and changing to take anything much beyond Monday seriously at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Happy personally that the 0z runs are better than yesterday’s horror show! Still think ECM is blowing up the low too much in the mid range. Hopefully the 12s will show an improvement on yesterday also. Still a lot of uncertainty though over strength of Greenie ridge & exactly where it’s placed, think it was the GEM today that built it too far west & we ended up with a W neg NAO.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Is it just me or is the pendulum slowly, step-by-step swinging back in the world of synoptic weather models? 

I have the opposite feeling. In fact at around about the 120hr mark, the Atlantic ridge is far less pronounced and looks in danger of disappearing altogether. 
It’s certainly a far weaker ridge than we we’re seeing a few days ago. 

Edited by Drifter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
6 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I have the opposite feeling. In fact at around about the 120hr mark, the Atlantic ridge is far less pronounced and looks in danger of disappearing altogether. 
It’s certainly a far weaker ridge than we we’re seeing a few days ago. 

Could be. But I think that those ENS did a step back from very mild versions. 
maybe it isn’t the worst thing to see that ridge „gone“, maybe we get something else, something better? FI isn’t to far away these days...

• Like 1

Posted

Isn't the problem here the Azores High, not what is happening further north. The N Atlantic ridge seems keen, the trough wants to drop from the north, but the high traveling from the Azores into Iberia keeps wanting to poke its nose in? Seems to me atm the effect of the SSW is to merely keep us from a full blown Euro high, not to radically alter the NH pattern. Though I'm surprised not to see better heights over the pole in general.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Remarkable northern hemisphere chart for late January

GFSOPNH00_240_1.png

This from mid January 1940

NOAA_2_1940011518_1.png

What’s more remarkable is that that isn’t delivering any notably cold weather. Would like to know what the surface conditions were for that 1940 chart... 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Premier Neige said:

All about perception I suppose. I wouldn't class 2c as notably cold though....

My point being...

As a rule, and especially in my location (albeit this is not about IMBY) to get falling and dare I say settling snow, the cold needs to be ‘notable’ - significantly below average. Not exceptional, but notable. 0-2c with precipitation and low dew points is unusual (increasingly so) and of note. What the other poster says about the ‘comparable’ 1940 chart is where I was headed. Synoptics very similar, markedly less cold. It took less to deliver snow historically than it does today, no question. 

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Vikos said:

The latest EC plume for De Bilt shows little, 'real' cold. Seems to me, we have to wait for February.

5ffffea2f41ec.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
33 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

My point being...

As a rule, and especially in my location (albeit this is not about IMBY) to get falling and dare I say settling snow, the cold needs to be ‘notable’ - significantly below average. Not exceptional, but notable. 0-2c with precipitation and low dew points is unusual (increasingly so) and of note. What the other poster says about the ‘comparable’ 1940 chart is where I was headed. Synoptics very similar, markedly less cold. It took less to deliver snow historically than it does today, no question. 

True. But the models can be wrong even at relatively short notice. Not long ago the models were showing a warm up for this week. Today it's snowing and maximum predicted to be 1c and tomorrow a max of 0c (for my location). I think people are hanging their hats on model outcomes for 10+ days when FI is probably 3-4 days at the moment. 

Edited by Premier Neige
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hardly the most inspiring set of GEFS temp ensembles , I've ever seen: plenty of opportunity for more of what we've been seeing, recently; so not much indication of either very cold or very mild conditions:

t850Bedfordshire.png     t2mBedfordshire.png

And, neither do the NH profiles seem to hold much promise:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Cold and dry, I can cope with; cold and snow, I can cope with; cold and wet, on the other hand, can go 'do one'!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
28 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

My point being...

The Jan 1940 chart is much better, far stronger GHP exerting its influence south of Iceland even, supported perfectly by the Arctic High working with it. This years chart has a far weaker GHP, struggling to exert much of a pressure rise on Iceland & the Arctic High less supportive - pointing towards Siberia.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Matt Hugo just stating that ECM should be binned feels it has been struggling in the past 2 weeks.

Very interesting stuff.Not sure where we go from there but I suppose the proof will be in the charts.

USA Forecasters have been dismissing and critical of ECM model output quite often recently!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Is there a reason for him to “bin” it? Just don’t understand that statement.  If it was a clear outlier, I could understand.  The Det run has decent support with the ensembles (largest cluster).  There is also a cluster (decent for coldies) where the low is far shallower and to the east with a decent Atlantic ridge followed by what looks like a sliding low further west.

Sometimes you have an instinct that a run just isn’t really feasible, given everything else. (Even when it isn’t an obvious outlier)

im not sure that the 00z ec fits that criteria for me though 

it could be that the period beyond day 5 is the nwp trying to find its way to the Asian vortex and Canadian ridge strat picture. The current split having muddied the waters and we will soon be looking at the kind of charts we were several days ago for the period beyond the 25th. 

on the other hand ...

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Icon 00z v 06z

Little bit more pressure around Greenland.

Not sure what to make of the 00z runs, seems chaotic. The only constant theme coming through atm is the Pacific high punching into the Arctic around day 8 and 9.

iconnh-0-120 (18).png

iconnh-0-126 (9).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

What’s the fuss about looking identical to yesterday’s met office long range forecast yesterday for next week..

EF8DFCCF-F7DB-4ABD-A515-4CD3224A4C5D.png

Edited by Scandinavian High.
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

What’s the fuss about looking identical to yesterday’s met office long range forecast yesterday for next week..

EF8DFCCF-F7DB-4ABD-A515-4CD3224A4C5D.png

Thats good then, because it means we can lose this cold rain and have more slightly less cold rain as temps forecast to rise to 9/10c on tuesday, although not sure if any model output is showing that kind of a warm up yet.

• Like 2