Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How cold has the just departing cold spell been for you?

johnholmes

Posted

I know many have seen little or no snow but quite a lot have so I though it an idea for folk to post a short view of the cold spell for them.

Mine is one of the cold; the last 20 days show a mean value of 2.5 C (2.45 actually). It must be a long time since I had 20 days so cold. I even had snow on 3 days, and lying for at least part of 1 day but less than 1cm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Chilly, pretty cold at times (Saturday didn't get above -1c due to the freezing fog) but no snow. I'd imagine some of our members in the North will think this has been a rip-roaring spell, and I wouldn't disagree seeing some of the pictures.

Maybe I should move to Madrid? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I had Snow on 2 days, 6th January and 8th January, on the 6th January I got a few flakes whereas on the 8th January I got it for about an hour however most of it was sleet it snowed for about five minutes.

The last 20 days for me have had a high of 9oc I believe in December and a low of -3oc with an average temperature of 4oc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very good here I'd say, 28th Dec snow arrived with low dropping from north, more snow on 29th, then decent event again on 2nd Jan

3rd Jan was really when it ended but still surviving snow until yesterday! bit more snow evening of 7th Jan

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's a nice unexceptional spell that reminds me of the 00's after a run of winters this decade which have tended to be big hits or misses.

Here in Yorkshire since the start of December it's snowed on 5 days with the fall on the 29th being on the ground for at least five days in BD11. We missed something more substantive on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Here on the coast of Essex we've had 2 or 3 surprisingly cold days - 1 ice day and 2 which only just got above freezing. Some air frosts but nothing that hard or noteworthy though - most interesting point has been the longevity of the cold/coldish spell, 25th December to 10th January. 17 days which is good going but sadly in that time not 1 snowflake!

Personally I feel we won't see anything colder this winter in the south east...and preparing to fix a new blade to the hacksaw.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Here close to the south coast the first ten days of January saw the temperature at my weather station get no higher than 6.5c. A couple of days saw brief local snow flurries  although not at my station.  Lowest min temp of minus 4c  and a frost most mornings. Two of which lasted in the shade all day. so essentially just a normal chilly January spell,certainly no severe cold to speak of. Although the wind made a couple of days Feel very raw.

• Like 2

Posted

The cold started on Christmas with the odd flurry that day. From then it was cold, snowy and foggy for the next 15 days. Got an appreciable amount of snow on the 28th. Then again on the 31st, 2nd and 7th. Already that's more snow than the 2 preceding winters. A harsh frost on the 7th was noteworthy however, lows of -5 and didn't go above -1. First half of winter albeit quite mild on the 2nd week of December has been quite good. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Here close to the south coast the first ten days of January saw the temperature at my weather station get no higher than 6.5c. A couple of days saw brief local snow flurries  although not at my station.  Lowest min temp of minus 4c  and a frost most mornings. Two of which lasted in the shade all day. so essentially just a normal chilly January spell,certainly no severe cold to speak of. Although the wind made a couple of days Feel very raw.

Indeed, nothing out of the ordinary here either. In fact I’d go one step further and say disappointing. The final third of this month will have to be pretty special to balance this coming week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

It wasn’t cold and mostly we had rain but it wAs a long spell of chilly weather.

We had snow on Christmas Eve which gave a covering and gave us a white Christmas. The first one here since 2010.

We had a few snowy mornings and a few inches of snow last Thursday and especially Friday which gave a good covering.

The higher areas of the North East did very well with lying snow probably for well over a week. Where I live is just that bit too close to the coast and the air was not cold enough and that’s why we mostly got rain or sleet.

Hopefully this is is just the starter of this winter and I await the main course.

Edited by Snow White

Posted

image.thumb.png.66fb06e07daa29c9a17f67e60d1e77e8.png

I don't keep a 'weather diary' but the above has been cobbled together from my garden weather station readings, observations recorded in the Scottish Thread and photies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here in the North East it snowed on Christmas Eve which stayed all of Christmas and slightly after. 
Coldest temperature was -4.2c on Friday night. Today feels very mild at 6c 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

2 mornings of early morning dustings (unexpected - thought too marginal), melted very quickly, unexpected white xmas, but blow me down last week when there was decent PPN, all rain, tbh surprised i saw a flake tbh, not only is it an UHI effect area, its more or less the capital of UHI in the UK now, they have just built 4 of the tallest residential buildings in the UK all within not many metres of me almost to try and compound the melting snow effect even more.

Posted

A 6 out of 10, more in terms of cold than the snow. We had a couple of coverings but no more than a cm at best. We missed out on about 4 other snowfalls annoyingly..

Whilst persistantly cold, we haven't seen anything notably very cold, and no ice days. No lakes have frozen which is the benchmark for very cold. In early March 2018 some lakes froze, even remember Thirlmere being frozen in mid-late March.

Early Jan 2010 saw many lakes completely frozen, likewise Dec 2010 with rivers starting freeze, these were proper cold spells.

The spell has been very similar to late Dec 2008 - early Jan 2009 almost same timing..

• Like 1

Posted

For us here in the south it was a cold spell but weatherwise particularly uneventful - no snow, plenty of drizzle and a few murky days with morning fog. Notably dull too, and consistent with the cloudiness there was very little temperature variation, with only a handful of air frosts and nothing much below -1 or above +4.

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

Posted

This cold spell will go down as a prolonged period of below average temperatures where the ground froze solid (Still defrosting as we speak) and I had a solid ice sheet on our large garden wildlife pond for 16 days in total (Still slowly melting, I suspect it will be gone in the morning, temp is up to 8 degrees now). 

We have had 7 days of falling snow, 3 dustings and one moderate covering (more than 2cm) Not noteworthy for it's snow or minima here (Although we did squeeze a -7.8 which is pretty low without snow cover, but generally minima were around -4 to -1. It's the maxima that was noteworthy here, not once between the 27th and the 09th did the temperature breach 4 degrees, most days around 1.5/2 degrees max. We also had 4 ice days. 

Despite a lot of drama surrounding this spell, I am positively chuffed with how it panned out, just for the length of below average temperatures. 

• Like 1

Posted

It has been much colder than average most days since Christmas Eve with highs ranging from -1 to 4. We have had one heavy snowfall on December 29 and a lighter accumulation on January 2. It’s been a decent one but nothing special IMO

• Like 1

Posted

Yes bar Boxing Day, since Christmas Eve up until yesterday we had average maxima below the seasonal norm of about 5 degrees. Most days at or below 3 degrees.

Need an ice day or two to be classed as a severe one. 

Today felt balmy even though we only made 8 degrees, a positively chilly day last winter.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1