Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

50 minutes ago, danm said:

Bit perplexed with some of the posts suggesting central/northern areas are primed and the south missing out. At this range, the overall synoptic pattern looks great but the micro details and specific placement of any battleground scenarios are nowhere near being resolved, let alone guaranteed. A few hundred miles either way on the macro, NH scale is miniscule. 

It's an understandable fatalism borne of many past experiences.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I partly figured it out before you answered, thanks anyway.

Where I am, its wetter still so Id add another 25 mm on the the Manc total.

Do remember how far out rainfall predictions can be in summer, nothing changes in winter! Also for it to snow an additional 7 or 8 other parameters need to fit as well.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Bricriu said:

So if i understand you correctly, it all looks to be unfolding as per recent UK Met Office Long Range guidance; a brief potent cold spell, but it's unlikely to be a sustained one. So it could well be an ebbing  and flowing between milder and colder air, with some part of England as the boundary. That could mean ecstasy for some and heartache for others further south and west.

Sort of

I was only refering to the NOAA 500mb charts that only got out to two weeks, how things develop beyond that is still to be resolved.

Yes, currently with a mean Northwesterly id expect Ebbing and Flowing between the cold and milder  with the UK being the battleground as systems track southeastwards from our northwest.

If/when subsequent anomaly charts update to bring a more northerly component, then the chances of a sustained deep cold spell will be heightened.

Thats how i see it currently, i may be wrong, but im usually pretty much near the mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

I remember the greatest E'ly "that we never had" in Feb' 2006. Completely disappeared at T36 - I'm still having counselling for it.

yep - i remember that - complete cross-model, ensemble agreement and then with two GFS runs, it was gone. Got a watered down version a couple of weeks later as I recall but by that time the days were longer and temps a bit higher so much less impact

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
3 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

So weather warnings out for 5-15cm above 150m and locally 30cm in northern england wednesday.

Who needs severe cold for snow haha!

During a “mild” week

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

You said it was nailed on earlier? 

Aye, my mistake was not defining "it". By "it" I was referring to a cut off Greenland high as a follow on from the continued debate. Not a very cold pattern for the UK. Confidence for that has increased, not quite nailed on though. 

Plus that was 6:30am after a brilliant ECM run..

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Is gfs delayed? I thought it started at half 3

Yes, looks like it's running a bit late, or at least the files are late. Can see the 00 hours one is trying to come in now, so hopefully it'll start up properly shortly. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Aye, my mistake was not defining "it". By "it" I was referring to a cut off Greenland high as a follow on from the continued debate. Not a very cold pattern for the UK. Confidence for that has increased, not quite nailed on though. 

Plus that was 6:30am after a brilliant ECM run..

Welcome to NW, ex-President Bill Clinton: it all depends upon how one defines the word 'it'?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

it's that good it doesn't want to show us how good lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think it saw how much aggro a poor ECM run caused last night and is avoiding making the same mistake.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, andymusic said:

it's that good it doesn't want to show us how good lol

Aye, it simply hasn't come to grips with 500cm of lying snow (all over the UK) yet!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

ICON is so different from its last run - tells you all you need to know!

This is why all the.....its nailed on should be ignored and just continue watching the output until general consensus prevails over a few days and even then its not nailed on as we all know it could all flip at a toss of a coin 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Frostbite1980 said:

This is why all the.....its nailed on should be ignored and just continue watching the output until general consensus prevails over a few days and even then its not nailed on as we all know it could all flip at a toss of a coin 

Agreed - as I said, when it's showing cross-model at T48, I might call it then!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Heads.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Then I would join you

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Djdazzle said:

Cross model agreement at T48? That's optimistic!

The 15th seems to be the "tipping point", once that low phasing is resolved we'll either be heading into the freezer with a good Greenland block, or the pattern will collapse and the cold wont be able to get into the UK, there isn't really a middleground scenario for this one. 

The fun will probably continue for a couple more days yet..

• Like 4