Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 minute ago, IDO said:

The d8 gefs similar to the 06z with the main cluster mimicking the 06z op, a small cluster supports the op at the same time frame:

gens_panel_iwa0.png

Hopefully it is not gfs randomness and we see this as a path forward in line with the 12z but atm it is not obvious?

Perhaps a small cluster that closely follows the Op, but there's a whole bunch of them that have the High more East than earlier today, so I'would say this is definitely in line with these 12Z upgrades.

The models must have eaten some good data today. Hopefully the ECM and its EPS shared that meal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Perhaps a small cluster that closely follows the Op, but there's a whole bunch of them that have the High more East than earlier today, so I'would say this is definitely in line with these 12Z upgrades.

The models must have eaten some good data today. Hopefully the ECM and its EPS shared that meal.

Yes, it is certainly not a downgrade so positivity is the starting point. The control looks similar at d9:

gensnh-0-1-216.thumb.png.1f1c3256edd1fa91572a55dad0bd3818.png

That is always a good sign for me!

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'm wondering what the ECM will do next after latest gem, still rolling out. 

I'd say this might have some truth to it, and what might follow? 

gemnh-0-198.png

14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GEM is an absolute cracker, T222:

70DF0865-BD3D-4F48-A17F-3CE86C68BB77.thumb.png.cc23aa70a6d749a4a889bfa72454a414.pngC4DE0F0D-E9E4-4890-A94A-61218DD3B54F.thumb.png.cdb563605e1d87bfeefd993b4f6d7d70.png

This model has shown some consistency in the run up to this, when the others have been all over the place, sure there have been the odd poor run, but it is possible that the model is really on to something too.

After the day I've had, this has lifted the spirits, fascinating stuff at the moment, what chance of a shift in the ECM

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As much as love these T384 charts, there's always a bit of 'it's too good to be true' about them... Not that I wouldn't be jumping with joy, were they at T+12!?‍♂️:drunk-emoji::santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Normal service is resumed on the GFS 12z . Gem has remained consistent throughout.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

After the day I've had, this has lifted the spirits, fascinating stuff at the moment, what chance of a shift in the ECM

One things for sure, we will be glued to it after 6pm!  Prime time model viewing!  Reckon this mornings runs were an aberation.  It can happen when there’s lots of uncertainty - chance of 6 or so models show the bad end of the uncertainty envelope on the same run?  1/64. We view them twice a day, so you’d expect it to happen about once a month.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

An improved set of GEFS 12z ensembles this evening as the colder theme beyond the 21st is re-established with less scatter than the 06z suite.

9C213662-113E-4039-B50A-A59E1915BE25.png

Massive improvement compared to the 06z set! (Below)  Looks like the ensembles are as fickle as the ops at the moment though! 

FDC3086B-3080-4D47-8138-173F1A39EB35.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
1 hour ago, Griff said:

Just for fun, this would be of no interest? 

gfsnh-1-252.png

And that is proof of how volatile and quickly things can change in a short space of time (hypothetically speaking of course)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

i think there continues to be plenty of wintry / wintery potential during the next few weeks...so, I’m not giving up on snowy nirvana visiting our little island in the not too distant future!!

And, as if by magic the Gfs 12z operational shows just that!...keep the faith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

LOL - down we go again

image.thumb.png.8750458bdc8e3ac1488d7c5a86a38821.png

It's still very much in the balance, as it has been for days now: the MetOffice long ranger has given strong hints that the dividing line between mild and cold was likely to be somewhere over the country with the north colder and the south probably milder, with scope for significant snowfall in the transition zone.  The charts, for me, are just playing variations on that tune.

Plus, and importantly, the effects of the 1st wind reversal in the stratosphere are still playing out and the second SSW pulse hasn't happened yet.

The charts are still hinting at snowfall, starting tomorrow and at various points in the next week to ten days.

Trends in the models can change; trends in the ensembles change - as we all know.  Ensembles aren't a crystal ball: they do no more than test the stability of the model output; they cannot tell us what hasn't yet happened in the atmosphere. 

Keep the faith

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
9 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Certainly a change in how models are now projecting the way forward. All this the following morning or 2 when tweets from professionals get on board of an imminent PV split, v cold for NW Europe and UK etc etc.  So on that basis is it ‘just typical’ that the promised land of proper cold spell is getting taken away from us?  Or is this a model jitter to what’s happening with the PV of a split rather than displacement?.  And if it’s a jitter is the response going to head us away from deep cold or will they start adjusting to where they were showing nirvana a couple of days back.  

I know what’s on my mind...and usually the safer bet is the way to go

BFTP

So were we seeing ‘noise’ on the 00z?  I think we still have to wait and see as inter runs are a tad volatile now.

This afternoon first I looked at UKMO 12z and thought...that’s looking like heading into very cold territory.  Then GFS is sending us back into the freezer.  If, and it’s if, the developments we get  show as they are now up to t144 on 12zs then imo we are well in the game for a freeze...not so if it’s the 00z route.  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Here’s a punt.  ECM t72 0z

image.thumb.gif.dc60b530a96e04e5840a019028e87b19.gif

t96 12z ....post in a second but I think a sharper rigdge to west and more of a diving trough to our north...

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Vikos said:

Can someone explain me the actual mood here? Can't read 10+ pages now...

Yeah or Nai?

GFS is fine in its global patterns...

In summary im not even sure whats going to fall from the sky tomorrow (rain or snow) and that sums up everything the models are showing right now. Lots of uncertainty however there is a reasonable chance for spells of snow at various stages in the next two weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Lots of talk about UKMO improvements but that is a very delicate balancing act having the phasing on W side of the ridge and hoping for enough undercut for the pattern to reamplify.

Most of the energy is not undercutting at 144 and next low is already phasing with the trough W of the ridge so IMO you would get energy going over the top and the pattern flattening.

UN144-21.GIF?13-18

That pattern 500 miles further W would be much better though.

Amazing how the models find another way to scupper blocking if they resolve another issue.

Let's just hope that low can stay cut off because the phasing either way puts us on a knife edge hence the mixed signals.

ECM 96 has it further N than GFS 12z but also further W so one cross, one tick, a coin toss and prayer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
39 minutes ago, Purga said:

LOL - down we go again

image.thumb.png.8750458bdc8e3ac1488d7c5a86a38821.png

It's still very much in the balance, as it has been for days now: the MetOffice long ranger has given strong hints that the dividing line between mild and cold was likely to be somewhere over the country with the north colder and the south probably milder, with scope for significant snowfall in the transition zone.  The charts, for me, are just playing variations on that tune.

Plus, and importantly, the effects of the 1st wind reversal in the stratosphere are still playing out and the second SSW pulse hasn't happened yet.

The charts are still hinting at snowfall, starting tomorrow and at various points in the next week to ten days.

Trends in the models can change; trends in the ensembles change - as we all know.  Ensembles aren't a crystal ball: they do no more than test the stability of the model output; they cannot tell us what hasn't yet happened in the atmosphere. 

Keep the faith

Well said. I had to laugh when I saw the 12z GFS Op run today and I really feel for all the relative newbies on here, the last few weeks output really has been a game of cat and mouse, I can imagine there a tonnes of cold and snow fans literally banging their heads against the wall, tearing out hair, crying into their coffee and jumping out and down with jubilation all at some point this week alone. 

On Monday we were hearing shouts of ''A cold spell is nailed'' followed yesterday and this morning by ''Ohh well there's always Feb'' and now it seems the were somewhere in between...the likely outcome ??? ...as per usual in the UK when we get a cold spell with a hint of Atlantic....is somewhere in between. 

It's always been the case of when we are looking at a cold spell with an Atlantic influence then a large amount of luck is indeed needed to see any meaningfull amounts of snow falling from the sky, especially so in the south. 

Uppers generally tend to get mixed out as pressure systems fill and stall becoming slow moving as it pushes against a block, when there is one.

from my years of model watching I only get excited when a true beast from the east is practically on our doorstep and even then as was the case recently it's not a guarantee. 

UKMO doesn't appear to me that it has any interest in producing a cold spell the +144 chart, all i'm seeing there is a conveyer belt of High pressure

to our south and low pressure systems barrelling through the country across the top of it.

spacer.png

No doubt there will be many more twists and turns in the days and weeks ahead and here's hoping you all get to see some snowfall over the next few weeks and months.

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 3