Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
4 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Not to play devil's advocate but we heard the uppers will get colder mantra with the lead up to the last cold spell and they didn't. 

In regards to -8c uppers, has them last week and got 36 hours of rain. 

I'm quickly learning that only -10c guarantees snow.

It depends on dew points as well though. So many factors have to come together for decent snowfall.

• Like 4

Posted
37 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Good ECM this evening! The cold starts to flow towards us as early as day 7!

I think the UKMO is on its own here. It seems to be the only model that actually phases the lows in the Atlantic.  It will be interesting to see whether it will continue phasing them tomorrow - hopefully the ECM doesn't latch on to this!

My mocks was scheduled for this month and if schools didn't close then I would have been extremely busy revising. I am a little annoyed at this, but there are loads of positives - one of them being the fact that I can sit at home for most of the day watching the models, and, if this ECM run comes off, I could spend most of the day enjoying the snow if any falls.

Away from all of that, it is looking very promising towards the end of the month. Exciting times ahead!

12 ukmo phased them  at 144 it didn't...did I miss something else?

Please enlighten?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Jason M said:

If the people up north can't talk about the cold they are going to get and the people down south can't talk about the rain they will have, what's left to talk about? Sorry, but one of my pet hates is posts that tell others what they can and can't post.

The people up north are probably right to be a bit excited whereas the so called 'moaners' are also right to talk about the limitations of what we are seeing. Otherwise you just end up with mad unjustified ramping and a thumping great forum hangover when the cold spell that was literally never modelled fails to turn up (as per last couple of weeks).

FWIW I think snow is now highly probable Midlands northwards and whilst much less certain its very possible south of this. Its certainly a better position than the last so called cold spell because whilst 850s don't look much different its a different type of airmass. The disappointment is that yet again we can't sustain stable heights at a northerly latitude to our N or NE during the three key winter months and that limits the scope of what is achievable. 

By all means people can talk about where is or isn’t more likely to see snow, but the constant complaining (or gloating) when the action is still so far from the reliable is what I don’t think adds to the thread. It makes it very frustrating and less of a pleasant place. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, Chertseystreamer79 said:

12 ukmo phased them  at 144 it didn't...did I miss something else?

Please enlighten?

Whoops, sorry. That's my fault. Not sure how I didn't notice!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
5 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

I'm getting the Stellas in ready for the pub run.....

Ha ha...my pram is amply stocked and the sertraline locked away in the cupboard.....for now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This is exactly the pertinent point. 

Of course you can get snow with -5 or -6 uppers but it's a lottery. You could just as easily see rain and the usual grey and drab scenery. The upcoming pattern looks good, but it flatters to deceive. 

The last cold spell I saw one fall of snow that gave a cm or two which then swiftly melted. A series of milder sectors in the N flow meant rain and not snow. 

If you want a proper, non marginal, cold spell then today's output is utter tosh.

Whilst i agree slushfests are not my thing either really, a screaming E'ly or NE'ly is the only thing that floats my boat, decent uppers are still poised across Norway at 240, disappointing update on the eps extended from bluearmy though, a bit gutted about that, but cold uppers not guaranteed to get blasted out the way, and while as long as they remain there, we are still in the game.

image.thumb.png.d65e5bd7b91d6564f469ad160d6c97f6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

Ha ha...my pram is amply stocked and the sertraline locked away in the cupboard.....for now!

Citalopram is my tipple and it has the word pram in it now where are those toys

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
14 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Imagine throwing your toys out of the pram when you've got an EPS mean like this.

EPS.thumb.png.cab1ff102c9cc4e876ad214d31871e7c.png

Better than anything we've seen since 2018. Seriously, some of you need to temper your expectations. Not every single cold spell is going to be the next BFTE or 2010. The pattern looks great going forward. The Det runs will continue to chop and change, and whining about 850hPa temperatures 10 days away is a complete & utter waste of time.

Of course, d10 uppers can change but I would not say it is a waste of time to look for the cause and effect of the current modelling of their temps and discuss the likelihood of upgrades?

This is the mean anomalies for 850s for the next 10-days and as a mean it should give us an idea as to what to expect with this pattern:

anim_uki4.gif London>graphe0_00_308_156___.thumb.png.927b512527f92110f64c22d427b4c175.png

The ecm mean currently shows no sign of being able to sink colder uppers to the base of the trough (cut-off low) where the UK is? Even the coldest runs showing no wild runs, that is indeed relevant to the setup.

Anyway we are over the first hurdle and synoptic wise no complaints and now down to what develops post-d10 to get a blocked pattern with cold and snow? Too early to say whether this pattern is likely to hold, though neither ecm or gfs look to keep the GH for more than 4-5 days atm.

The usual caveats: (1) that uppers are not the be all or end all, but they certainly take the marginality away if they were colder for us in the south in lowlands? (2) the pattern may change, but surprisingly there is solid inter-model support for up to the d10 phase (ecm, gfs and gem means). (3 And the further north the better for cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Not to play devil's advocate but we heard the uppers will get colder mantra with the lead up to the last cold spell and they didn't. 

In regards to -8c uppers, has them last week and got 36 hours of rain. 

I'm quickly learning that only -10c guarantees snow.

The flip side of the above is that 850's aren't the only significant factor in snowfall for the UK? 

(Has this been mentioned before on this forum? )

The previous cold spell had air sourced from milder locations in Europe and thus, all supporting factors for lowland snowfall weren't in the right place. What is shown on tonight's ECM is sourced from much colder air. 

DP's and 850's hand in hand would be much more likely to provide, even for those in the South. 

Battleground and 'North of the M4' will be used a lot in the next week or 2 IMO. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

Have a problem? Call netweather's baby counsellor: image.thumb.png.19d863a88f1465fff22bceef9ed6a17f.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
16 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Yes they did.

Initially we were looking at uppers around -4/-5c, they upgraded to around -8c as the time got closer. The reason for rain last week was due to a warmer surface layer, mostly down to the lack of proper cold across Europe + a warmer than average North Sea modifying the temperatures. 

850hPa's weren't the problem.

There was a patch of -8c for about a day - hardly a fantastic upgrade. 

This feels like another great looking synoptics but poor 850s saga. I am being a little IMBY, bet as a SE member who has seen sod all bar the odd frost for three years, I think I have every right to be.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jacke said:

I must get out of my outlets seat for a moment. If you have not closely read Catacols latest post, please do, so much common sense. As a lurker it is perhaps easier to track comments as well as the charts and trends. Firstly the comments overall. I suspect I am not alone among us quiet ones in saying this forum is on the verge of sinking into a mindless table of counter comments and petty back biting of some members. Please think a little before you write. Please do not let this fabulous forum sink into the mire.

No professional background in any of this but years and years of chart and weather watching. So dare I say that this has been a season of too much 850s fear and loathing. Yes of course they are important but not in the single isolation that some members place them. The fact that there are reasonable charts showing them this winter instead of the normal westerly dross has led to them being taken out of context.

Like most on here I am pretty baffled by the swings and roundabouts of the current output. What I am convinced off is substantial change around the period 19th Jan onwards which has been the projected period for many members. I also feel that changes will not be dramatic as some may think but will beon the cooler side at least. The background theme of most charts will be sadly wrong if that is not the case. And remember Cooler surface temps can be an important factor to coldooling not just 850s. This is not likely to be a repeat of the Dec attempts. Much more in our favour, historically the actual period of winter. My father was always adamant that the 1947 winter came out of the blue so never give up on some extreme weather if that is your thing. As a passing comment, having lived in the same location for nearly 70 years I have noticed how many coastal gulls move inland to my location if severe cold or particularly cold easterlies are afoot. You won't find them on a chart but I will post if I see an increase over the coming days! 

That interesting regarding gulls moving inland. I too have noticed some rare birds appearing here in marazion. Sign of things to come? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

It’s funny this obsession with a West based NAO. I’d rather see a West based NAO than a big +NAO

Also, if the West Based NAO is a very large one, it could still extend its influence and land us with some very cold weather and will drive the jet stream way south. 

The advantage of a NAO that is slightly west based is that the Arctic air spends longer over the North Atlantic and approa hes the UK from the West. Ok this lifts the uppers but massively increases the chances of snow a across the bulk of the UK. Surely that's better than a screaming frigid direct northerly where you have to be on the beach at Scarborough to see any snow.

I understand its maybe not the  best situation for the southeast but you are at risk from runners along the troughs bottom.

Prizes for all!

Andy

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

The advantage of a NAO that is slightly west based is that the Arctic air spends longer over the North Atlantic and approa hes the UK from the West. Ok this lifts the uppers but massively increases the chances of snow a across the bulk of the UK. Surely that's better than a screaming frigid direct northerly where you have to be on the beach at Scarborough to see any snow.

I understand its maybe not the  best situation for the southeast but you are at risk from runners along the troughs bottom.

Prizes for all!

Andy

Absolutely right. Plus we are a small island, where 200 miles of a pattern shift can win or lose you the game! It’s very fine margins. 

• Like 2