Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

Overall, I'd be happy with all these model runs, who really wants to see perfect charts beyond about day 6 or 7, those can only downgrade. Reasonable prospects for cold and some snow, with realistic paths to upgrade potential, is always a good scenario at the range we're tracking at this point. I like the fact it's around 20th-25th Jan also, one of the most likely times from climatology for long duration cold to set in. Almost every significantly cold February had its origins in a gradually decreasing temperature trend in late January, not always hitting very severe levels until near the end or into early February itself. I think that's where this is all heading, a severely cold February. 

Completely agree with you. I think we're having a February 1986 repeat on our hands. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, NeilN said:

Completely agree with you. I think we're having a February 1986 repeat on our hands. 

A February 1991 or 2018 would be nice to have, considering a sub zero CET is incredibly rare in todays climate, although not impossible.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, NeilN said:

If only this would happen. One of the most beautiful winter months I ever experienced. Over here (Netherlands) there was almost no snow (which I don't mind) and we had our Elfstedentocht; 200 kilometers of skating.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

Overall, I'd be happy with all these model runs, who really wants to see perfect charts beyond about day 6 or 7, those can only downgrade. Reasonable prospects for cold and some snow, with realistic paths to upgrade potential, is always a good scenario at the range we're tracking at this point. I like the fact it's around 20th-25th Jan also, one of the most likely times from climatology for long duration cold to set in. Almost every significantly cold February had its origins in a gradually decreasing temperature trend in late January, not always hitting very severe levels until near the end or into early February itself. I think that's where this is all heading, a severely cold February. 

Yes, I’m happy with todays runs, and given a ‘prior’ direction of travel due to the SSW, I have increasing confidence in a cold spell. Interesting what you say about the time of year, too.  At this time of year any significant snow is not going to melt quickly, and lying snow just bakes (wrong word!) the cold in further, so yes it could be a prolonged spell.  But we have to get the pattern confirmed in the first place before thinking too much about that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

I remember for years saying to friends etc that , as a general rule,  cold to set in or be building in latter half of January for any real chance of prolonged cold spell in Feb.  That imo generally holds up.  Interesting that the sun has been blank again for 8 days and counting.

Interesting outlook RJS....certainly many ingredients now in play.

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

If only this would happen. One of the most beautiful winter months I ever experienced. Over here (Netherlands) there was almost no snow (which I don't mind) and we had our Elfstedentocht; 200 kilometers of skating.

That sounds lovely! I was only 1 at the time it happened, but my parents said it was a brutal winter month. Even if a watered down version more like 2010, 1996 or 2018 would be nice too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I’m trying not to get too carried away, but the way the Mean charts are turning out, it’s challenging not to at times. 

As awesome as it is seeing a big sector of the PV douse itself over Scandi and NW Russia, the cold will tend to bottle itself up there if the low 500hpa heights remain in place. The solution to flood it out over us and further South would be to migrate that Arctic high towards Svalbard and then into Scandi. That would release it outwards S and E. Also a lowering of heights into Iberia would help lock us deep into the grip of a prolonged cold spell. 

Awesome model watching though. Just what we need in these desperate times for some of us. Obviously thoughts would be spared if the cold got too much for the general population. 

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Big difference east to west on the ECM for Thursday. 6c in Manchester and 2c in Norwich!

22E3A535-3217-4047-A5B6-6B8A54F7364D.jpeg

Max of 5C in London during daytime on ECM 12z warmest earliest around midnight. It’s a very defined/sharp boundary! 

5B6F271D-6857-4F1A-8473-AD30365A41D1.thumb.png.6785b599d6c802ab99df8439ec82713a.png4AA065B9-575C-44C2-A768-044A07001074.thumb.png.bf8536fa973b0be0253f7d06a7575391.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well the 12z GEFS have certainly cleared up any uncertainty issues..

ens_image.thumb.png.8280090a191048acd6376d0df423ca9f.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

18z UKV has very much backed off the snow in northern England up to midnight on Wednesday night. The 3z had widespread snow accumulations in NE England, the 18z is the latest run to go that far and it has virtually nothing. Such a knife edge. Will be interesting to see what the 18z EC throws out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The 18z ICON is an improvement with the ESP trough that breaks away nicely from the upper Greenland low and because of this we would get more amplification into Greenland

18z 120 v's 12z 126

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.36e0c58569ace051e0c8548149af2085.pngiconnh-0-126.thumb.png.199f0d5cd77f2241d40356751ac497af.png

the front on Wednesday evening is stalling further west too.

18z v's 12z

iconeu_uk1-42-47-0.thumb.png.bb5064e82daeb710b08203064533a12d.pngiconeu_uk1-42-53-0.thumb.png.5c28f72f222acdb36a6db784ed304853.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

18z UKV has very much backed off the snow in northern England up to midnight on Wednesday night. The 3z had widespread snow accumulations in NE England, the 18z is the latest run to go that far and it has virtually nothing. Such a knife edge. Will be interesting to see what the 18z EC throws out.

Is that because the front goes further east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
58 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

I'm not sharing the love for the ECM charts.  They look ok  but we want better than the recent cold spell, which hardly delivered.  We want deeper cold than whats on offer tonight, hopefully we will see upgrades on future runs.

Ups and downs mate, don't get hung up on individual runs good or bad, ensemble means are best viewed at the moment but even they seem to flip more than I do a pancake at the moment

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

After viewing since 2004! I don't think I have ever ever ever done a boom.....now I'm doing one "BOOM".

...and why not?!! We all deserve a 'boom moment' from time to time... and of course the models are far from a done deal yet, but boy we really do deserve a moment when we just need to shout it loud!!!

Great viewing, great contributions, great 'hiding behind the sofa moments'.... i love this place!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
9 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Well the 12z GEFS have certainly cleared up any uncertainty issues..

ens_image.thumb.png.8280090a191048acd6376d0df423ca9f.png

They are a complete mess Dan and i wouldn't want to call it which way we are heading,...they look just as bad as my daughter's scribbling when she was two ha ha

which way will we go from here?...

giphy.thumb.gif.f27b03b7d8ae8196baa10dd040c65913.gif

• Like 8