Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yeah, depends on what you mean is "nailed on". Within 20 hours for a hi res trough / volatile front, within 100 hours for the macro placement of lows, within 140 hours for the overall synoptic pattern.

Nothing is ever ‘nailed on’ with weather prediction. That’s why it’s a prediction and not a promise. It’s based on probabilities.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

GFS still delayed, this the latest from NCEP

I totally relate, sometimes my ipad refuses to connect to the WiFi

• Like 2

Posted

GFS (6z) and UKM both keen on lower heights to our south than the ECM which got there in the end but flirted with danger in that 144-192 range.

I keep harping on about that piece of vortex over E Canada but it still concerns me, it’s very rare to get a sustainable GH with that amount of energy there

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Nothing is ever ‘nailed on’ with the weather.

It depends how well defined what you described "nailed on" to be. In broadly speaking & broadly defined terms, a lot is certain. For example, "it will snow in parts of Northern England on Thursday" is largely "nailed on" - meaning the confidence is over 95%.

However, calling 9.5cm of snow "nailed on" is not possible as it is to narrowly defined. This is important. 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 5

Posted

The day 5 UKMO could bring another round of frontal snow . Depends how much of a se undercut occurs .

Not sure I’m feeling the love though for the day 6 chart . The low near the Azores is far too close to phasing with the low near the UK.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weathizard said:

GFS (6z) and UKM both keen on lower heights to our south than the ECM which got there in the end but flirted with danger in that 144-192 range.

I keep harping on about that piece of vortex over E Canada but it still concerns me, it’s very rare to get a sustainable GH with that amount of energy there

It's just far enough west atm, but needs watching, along with about 5 other things that need to go right for us.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Could be something in that Nick.

Thursdays fax  543141790_fax84s(2).thumb.gif.aef6f3493ac6324ffd3f32728aac0cea.gif

showing that wave development along the front.Coming back west with a cold undercut-something to watch for.

It’s also similar to what the ECM was showing yesterday morning....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

UKMO 144 yesterday and 120 today.

This timeframe is far from resolved yet.

Scandi heights more pronounced, getting pinched more, lower heights in Eastern Europe.
The Azores/Iberian High more West than yesterday.

UK-144 10jan12.GIF

UK-120 11jan12.GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The day 5 UKMO could bring another round of frontal snow . Depends how much of a se undercut occurs .

Not sure I’m feeling the love though for the day 6 chart . The low near the Azores is far too close to phasing with the low near the UK.

Looks quite a decent distance to me? But I take your point after what the icon did

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

image.thumb.png.32e59f6c2c7a18c705ca38d3cd8626ac.png

That low would likely split as illustrated and run into the base of the trough moving eastward through the UK.

Could be a bit messy but some snow potential on the northern flank. Not that such detail is worth worrying about given the huge variation between runs at the mo.

Main positive for me about this run is that it has a decent alignment to the ridge that's north of that cut-off low.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Cold Winter Night said:

UKMO 144 yesterday and 120 today.

This timeframe is far from resolved yet.

Scandi heights more pronounced, getting pinched more, lower heights in Eastern Europe.
The Azores/Iberian High more West than yesterday.

UK-144 10jan12.GIF

UK-120 11jan12.GIF

Big difference stronger scandi high and low sliding across the uk!!if this continues there will be a heavy snow event widely across the uk saturday!!and thats after the snow on thursday!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Looks quite a decent distance to me? But I take your point after that icon did

The problem is as the flow amplifies upstream if you get an early phasing that could then see too much ne track and a delay to the cold heading se , or worst case scenario  trapped on the wrong side with the cold heading sw to the west of the UK.

So a clear separation of the UK low and the one near the Azores is needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Big difference stronger scandi high and low sliding across the uk!!if this continues there will be a heavy snow event widely across the uk saturday!!and thats after the snow on thursday!!

Better watch the gem trickle out then, just to feed the habit.. 

gemnh-0-60.thumb.png.5d3ba395919c3a671e17b8fa2a9ec0e0.pnggemnh-0-66.thumb.png.a09443ae386fac48d0152a3d67333ee6.png

?‍♂️

Edited by Griff
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Check out the ICON in motion...

anim_thm4.thumb.gif.3bf8548af349466d6cc914e7fefe7b72.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

GEM 12z goes for a decent amount of frontal snow this Thursday/Friday...

088EA626-ECD7-4C25-8095-1AA8C1336A7D.pngFCDCB027-A772-427A-A775-3E806CB2E743.thumb.png.a45f1ace976163f9b4369ff3a72701be.png3988BA1D-1881-4F4E-9EF1-25251B579846.thumb.png.5a1b578273de897682a69ad0a628c1e5.png

Edited by Frosty Winter
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GEM shows snow for Scotland and eastern areas sat. Probably turning briefly to snow in the south east in the next few frames before clearing. Not too dissimilar to Aperge. Be interesting to see ECM take later 

942FDD1B-13AD-4541-A8F1-69A4693BCCD9.png

C7560B03-3AB1-4533-9655-12544018D2F1.png

AECC2A60-C95C-48F6-A855-E27320A8965A.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3