Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Well I’ve tried to read the charts for Thursday.... all I think is whatever falls out of the sky.... there’s going to be an awful lot of it!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

The advantage of a NAO that is slightly west based is that the Arctic air spends longer over the North Atlantic and approa hes the UK from the West. Ok this lifts the uppers but massively increases the chances of snow a across the bulk of the UK. Surely that's better than a screaming frigid direct northerly where you have to be on the beach at Scarborough to see any snow.

I understand its maybe not the  best situation for the southeast but you are at risk from runners along the troughs bottom.

Prizes for all!

Andy

And a million times better than the grey, dry dross-fest that was February 1986!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Absolutely right. Plus we are a small island, where 200 miles of a pattern shift can win or lose you the game! It’s very fine margins. 

How I miss a decent Northerly living in Scarborough.  The outlook looks good long term for us living by the sea with the ECM showing cold showing to build up in stagnant air. As they say get the cold in first.

• Like 2

Posted
complete_model_modez_2021011212_9_4855_1
METEOLOGIX.COM

ECMWF IFS HRES (10 days) - Current forecast valid for 01/12/2021, 10:00pm of parameter "Temperature", model chart for map "England"

For the individual ENS members. And the plume De Bilt.

eps_pluim_dd_06260.png

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

I'm getting the Stellas in ready for the pub run.....

The best one last two nights/mornings has been the 0z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

A lot of really strange comments on here. Glad I can look at these charts and keep my personal take on the models to myself and not take every run like its nailed to happen. Especially given how up and down the out put is within 72 hours! 

The cold spilling into the atlantic at 168 hours on the ECM, that a lot of people have picked up on,eventually swings the cold uppers to the UK not long after.  Also given that it is FI anyway and by no means massively supported amongst the output its not something we should be overly concerned about yet in my view. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, V for Very Cold said:

Well I’ve tried to read the charts for Thursday.... all I think is whatever falls out of the sky.... there’s going to be an awful lot of it!

Yes, a stalling front is fantastic if it turns to snow, but for those that get incessant cold rain, not much fun. Total rainfall until the end of Thursday:

60-777UK.thumb.gif.bdae29196447c84189ade2359905dbd8.gif end Sat:108-777UK.thumb.gif.369dbc8ec9823fe08e386401aad452e3.gif

And another wet period Saturday. N Wales getting close to their seasonal Jan average by the weekend!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

And a million times better than the grey, dry dross-fest that was February 1986!

Absolutely! Bitterly cold is often very dry and February 1986 classic example although Feb 56 was very similar.

I lived at 600feet to the South of Birmingham in February 1986 and we had one 4cms snowfall that evaporated slowly over the next week, it was bone chilling cold but the frost was clear as the air was so bone dry, the landscape  was rarely white and from your lounge window it looked like a Bartlett!

Andy

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
15 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Absolutely! Bitterly cold is often very dry and February 1986 classic example although Feb 56 was very similar.

I lived at 600feet to the South of Birmingham in February 1986 and we had one 4cms snowfall that evaporated slowly over the next week, it was bone chilling cold but the frost was clear as the air was so bone dry, the landscape  was rarely white and from your lounge window it looked like a Bartlett!

Andy

Are you sure? - could have sworn there was a fall of 8 to 10 inches.

EDIT : my mistake it was late Jan.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
9 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

That's exactly how I remember Feb 86 bitterly cold but totally boring.

A massive waste of a cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Hmmm. Where to start.

1. Modelled uppers are likely to drop nearer the time, but -8 is cold and for many not marginal. Rubbish? How many recent winters have you followed!

2. We are very definitely seeing the impact of the SSW. Go check the Berlin charts.

3. What changed in terms of the historic January possibility was the vortex did not split. We are now on the cusp of experiencing about the best impact from a displaced pattern that we can get. Vortex is primarily over Asia and not Canada or the Atlantic, and we have enough displacement to allow an arctic high to bed in. Had the vortex split I think we would have had much greater chance of severe and sustained cold, but it survived by a whisker.

How deep the cold might be is very hard to say. I agree with others that we are still in a holding pattern. We will get what we will get and I am sure that many will see snow. We have already had more snow in parts than we have had for the majority of recent winters and some on here must have short memories. 

Looking beyond 240h there is considerable uncertainty about the evolution, more so than is often the case. I suspect this is why many of the more knowledgeable on here have gone a bit quiet - hard to make a call when a call looks near impossible to make. Trop forcing coming out of the Pacific is very hard to read and may, or may not, hit 7/8/1. The extent to which the vortex will remain displaced, where it might move from here and the extent of its recovery is wildly difficult to work out. There is even the outside chance of enough trop forcing perhaps to look to split it later - but then again it may ride out and strengthen. The trop precursor pattern has gone for now due to the displacement, but wave breaking remains in NWP output and the potential for a potent such break to kick the vortex again as we move into February could happen.

But confidence in all this is extremely low. I can’t pick a longer term path at the moment, that’s for sure. End of January gets cold - what happens beyond that is wide open. 

Will be another cold rain fest for the majority of the UK population as things stand. Not cold enough, again. 850s too warm, again. 

• Like 4

Posted

Lots of uppers angst again today. 

There are reasons why -8C would be more likely deliver this time, whereas it didn't last time (although uppers in the south east were generally a degree or so below -8C in the last spell in any event)

However until the overall pattern is decided, it isn't really worth sweating over. I think it could be as late as Friday or Saturday until some sort of model consistency is achieved for next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
22 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Where was that? Corker of a month in Swansea

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
11 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

Haha, and I would absolutely love to see February 86 or 56 repeated one day!
I love snow and photography of white landscapes, but I also love that bone chilling cold and skating on 'singing' deep black ice.

Right now the output has the promise of at least some snow for many, so that's good, and for now you won't have to worry about Feb 86 weather just yet! (But who knows in February... ).

This is exactly why everyone should keep in mind that there are a lot of people on here, spread out over many places, with a lot of personal preferences. What is a dream chart to one, is a sub par to another. And next week it'll all be reversed.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Well, NOAA doing its best to cheer up the cold brigade 6-10 and 8-14

Much more defined ridge than yesterday, seems just as volatile as the op runs right now!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Well, NOAA doing its best to cheer up the cold brigade 6-10 and 8-14

Thats been a few years since iv saw something like that. 

Upppers may upgrade again. Who knows but id be suprsied if its not cold enough for snow becsuse the thickness levels are good again 

• Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.png.f3c407514cd50c65e88ab370872f99a8.png

What could be better than this regime chart with all those green boxes along the bottom. Basically the dominant regimes are Block, Atlantic Ridge and -NAO

Also if you add up those 3 options and count all of them as potential colder options they dominate right through the 42 day period

+NAO tries to make an appearance and only 3 boxes show this but at quite long range

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not volatile at all, very consistent in how it has dealt with the upper pattern over the past 4-5 days.

Yesterday it showed a WNW, now it shows a straight Arctic Northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Not volatile at all, very consistent in how it has dealt with the upper pattern over the past 4-5 days.

Thanks John, your the voice of reason. Dont expect too much and what comes will be a bonus.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yesterday it showed a WNW, now it shows a straight Arctic Northerly.

so what is the point you are making feb?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1