Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 hours ago, Climate Man said:

Slight upgrade on previous run but Iberian heights remain an issue. 

Im on page 41, and this reply will be out of context, but the 'Iberian heights' are essentially a consequence of the pattern to the north. Its basically cause and effect. Normally those Euro heights will be the 'cause' and the pattern surrounding is the 'effect'. In this circumstance the Euro heights are the 'effect' rather than the 'cause' if that makes sense.

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

I find it hard to understand (so please tell me) why this is a good chart, the cold air eroses the Greenlandhigh.

ECMOPEU12_144_2.png

You are not alone. Strong western flow and all cold air gone from Europe.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Yes a very good ECM at 168 synoptically, now we just need to get those colder uppers in...

ECH1-168.thumb.gif.7f91bca910a91b3b99cbb45609f8a7d0.gifECH0-168.thumb.gif.c6aecb36f9011481e7bbdf6a719b256a.gif

• Like 5

Posted

Great consistency from the ECM 00z ~ 12z ! Looking at the precip charts which show hour by hour ..the precip is sitting right on the south coast at exactly the same time 

4F00037C-1FE4-43F1-82C8-6A16C6515574.gif

883C83C8-2E4C-4EF2-A0CA-CEC421A61F4D.gif

3E0DF346-5B1D-4C41-A1ED-E4B02C500B1D.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes a very good ECM at 168 synoptically, now we just need to get those colder uppers in...

ECH1-168.thumb.gif.7f91bca910a91b3b99cbb45609f8a7d0.gifECH0-168.thumb.gif.c6aecb36f9011481e7bbdf6a719b256a.gif

Please check how the isobars are drawn. The cold air from the Arctic makes a detour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
5 minutes ago, BenFreeman_91 said:

Hello, I would be grateful if somone could provide their view on snow chances for tomorrow / Thursday? I live 10 miles north of Peterborough and I have seen a couple of posts hinting that Peterborough could get some now? Met Office app showing cold rain for two days!

We had rain icons in Manchester on Saturday two weeks ago which brought a decent surprise snow covering

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T192:

5265E134-EA01-42D8-900C-6724FAE4B66F.thumb.png.28540af570c74084cdf05e63e05997dc.pngACC93596-3D96-4A19-BDD5-073C29EBE050.thumb.png.86c222ad0f9efc95b8fc467501150534.png

Like the GEM, for me at the moment this is setting up shop too far west to get the real cold to our shores quickly. 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

If anyone complains about this ecm then i really dunno what theyre looking at!!not only does it upgrade the snow for thursday but it stays cold throughout!!!with many more chances coming for snow coming up!!

Yep for us and further north its fine  expect many in the south need it colder  

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

If anyone complains about this ecm then i really dunno what theyre looking at!!not only does it upgrade the snow for thursday but it stays cold throughout!!!with many more chances coming for snow coming up!!

But it's not even as cold as it was over Christmas up to day 8. 

Should be good though, by day.....10. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T192:

5265E134-EA01-42D8-900C-6724FAE4B66F.thumb.png.28540af570c74084cdf05e63e05997dc.pngACC93596-3D96-4A19-BDD5-073C29EBE050.thumb.png.86c222ad0f9efc95b8fc467501150534.png

Like the GEM, for me at the moment this is setting up shop too far west to get the real cold to our shores quickly. 

Do we need the GH to link up ?

Posted

Just a quick question(New to all this) if there is another ssw occurring would tgis come into play at some point to help push the vortex out of sync even further?

• Like 4

I’m going to stick my neck out and say Thursday the snow will go much further south than expected. It seems to be trending more south and en evolution of the GEM idea is likely for me. I know some don’t rate GEM but I think it’s done well lately

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, phil nw. said:

If you read my post i commented how the changes to the 500 pattern have been counting down to within 10 days now.The switch to cold will develop from there but a step backwards it ain't.

All the charts are disappointing to be honest.  All looking marginal on low ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Agreed, ideally things could be a bit further east. But the pattern is all that matters currently, get that set and the surprises will follow. Just as we saw a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Apart from all the frigid uppers.bleeding into North America because the pattern is too far west while we bathe in mere -4 uppers, IMO no where near as good as previous runs on various output 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

We went through this before at Xmas... Uppers were modelled at -4 or -5 at 7 days out, when they got here they were -8

Also the source of air will mean lower dew points this time.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Timmytour said:

Do we need the GH to link up ?

With the arctic high, I presume you mean?  Ideally yes, but this run looks quite a long way from that at the moment.  

• Like 1

Posted

How many times does it have to be said in here?? Get the pattern first, then the cold will come, some people really need to take a couple of days off I think.  You would thrown every member of your family under the bus for half of these synoptics over the last 10 years!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 minute ago, CSC said:

I’m going to stick my neck out and say Thursday the snow will go much further south than expected. It seems to be trending more south and en evolution of the GEM idea is likely for me. I know some don’t rate GEM but I think it’s done well lately

GEM has been one of the most consistent models of the past few days, not had the ups and downs of most models.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Johnp said:

The point is the key part of this evolution starts at day 5/6 once you get past that; it’s cold in some way or another, too many looking at micro differences rather than the pattern in general Imo

• Like 6

Just now, NewEra21 said:

GEM has been one of the most consistent models of the past few days, not had the ups and downs of most models.

I know! The temperatures forecast from it have been spot on in my area here too. I think it has built its reputation 

• Like 2

Posted

Fear not gang , cold arrived bang on time - 20th , with scattered snow showers ~ whilst we await something more substantial from the south west...

97BB72CA-DBD1-4A05-A911-3DF6ADC4E338.jpeg

1E719091-480C-40C6-99C7-CA39358E716D.jpeg

F6CC06D7-79B5-444A-9249-2DC1B7D0CD6A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1