Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
35 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Very kind-thank you

Another source of what 'might happen' is this link, from ECMWF

http://www2.wetter3.de/Fax/00_ECMWF_ENS_p0_500hPa+144_240.gif

*Shudder* Nothing moves and 528 and -5 never get as far even as London... Awful outcome for the SE (as far as it goes...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
47 minutes ago, chris55 said:

I can see why talk of the Pacific Ridge has been about, this is a good visualisation of how helps, it moves over the pole and re-enforces the negative flow and supports the Greenland ridge!

Lovely charts!

Yes the "Pumpathon" over the Pacific has to be balanced out by the atmosphere hence very shortly there will be a "Dumpathon" over our side. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
9 minutes ago, warrenb said:

So going by the mean we have 3 days of -5 before the high drifts west and the Atlantic comes up from underneath. For a good cold spell you want solid -8 to -10. Note the control and the Op both go warmer toward the end as the pattern backs west.

I think we're all just happy to finally see some more agreement within the ENS on getting the cold in to begin with, once we get the cold in we'll see what happens. 

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, warrenb said:

So going by the mean we have 3 days of -5 before the high drifts west and the Atlantic comes up from underneath. For a good cold spell you want solid -8 to -10. Note the control and the Op both go warmer toward the end as the pattern backs west.

At the point they go warmer you are talking deep FI.

Are you chasing a mild chart at 384 hours?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
14 minutes ago, Nicholas B said:

all important for snow chances and so often the difference between rain and snow for low levels, from the 21st the dew points are looking good too1213886974_gfs-preston-gb-54n-25w(2).thumb.jpg.8c0047a9519b28a3a920e43740c6acfe.jpg!  

Outstanding ....best set of data (or cold agreement ?️) on one run I have seen in many a year.....hard to believe its not going to got this way looking at it. Of course we all know better. Just hope the trend continues in the next few runs!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, the GEFS T850s favour a plummet just after Jan 19, though not to anything all that spectacular... After that, things could stay cold for a month or 'normality' might resume... Who knows? But, one thing's certain -- nothing's 'nailded'!

t850Suffolk.png     t2mSuffolk.png

But at least the NH profile mean still wants to 'play ball'!

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Edited by General Cluster
grammer!
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, seajamiet said:

At the point they go warmer you are talking deep FI.

Are you chasing a mild chart at 384 hours?

To be fair we're lacking mild boosters on this forum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
12 minutes ago, Griff said:

Excellent steps forward this morning. Looking forward to the later model runs of the day. 

It may not happen but at a challenging period for many of us, it's great to have something to occupy our minds with other than doom and gloom. That said, I'm finding the ignore users in account settings very handy and good for my mental health. Live and let live, no need to argue. Side step those that antagonise. 

Thinks are looking good, the means are nice and the almost horror that 0z UKMO brought to me at 4:30 in the morning has been eased. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, That ECM said:

People always do and I think it’s fine tbh. If you have so much data available you will and can make an argument for numerous outcomes. Realistic or not. Sometimes it’s best to smile and move on. 

No one can convince me that this will be done in a couple of days. The data strongly points to cold. Details and length will be for later. All good in my book. Remember the high was going to topple yesterday. Now it’s going to go to high and west. ❄️

7CFFEA4E-9D3E-4908-A90C-91EEFE6AF88A.png

I would say the data strongly points to below average. Which will deliver handsomely for some and not for others. I’ve not been collecting empirical data for my location (Gatwick) but would be very surprised if we’ve not been broadly below average - give or take - here since Dec 1st. And yet not a flake of snow to date. 

Edited by pureasthedriven
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ice days,and snow,snow,snow...

I really don't see a prolonged very cold spell from the chats atm, yes I see a snowy spell with maybe some severe temperatures at times lasting a week maybe 10 days from these charts, which in itself is amazing to see and has me glued to this forum and meteociel..

But the only chance we get of seriously cold uppers, is from channel lows passing under the block and giving us a brief easterly, the rest of the time the general wind direction is a northerly , which will be cold enough for snow but not severe, as too long a sea track...

It seems there is only one outcome (as far as I can see) as the cold pool makes its way towards us then floods into the Atlantic, ruining the amega block by cutting off the waa into Greenland and giving us a west based NAO..

I don't see how we can get long sustained cold unless we can get heights over Iceland or scandy giving us more of an easterly feed...

Are there many times when the trough stays out to the east (with no heights to the north or east) staying put and delivering  cold for the uk for long periods, or do we need to see height rises to the north/east...?

an unusual set up and intriguing to say the least..

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put a dampner on things , I just want to put things in perspective..

I'm a coldie through and through .. honest...!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
7 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

My friend, as someone who lives in the SE I will take 5cm of snow and be done with winter! I haven't seen falling snow since 2018 and after the year we've just had I would very much like to enjoy a walk in the snow!

Month long cold and snow spells are extremely rare and a unrealistic expectation. There's been what 2 in the past 100 years?

Spot on Snowman..........hand on heart if the models offered me a widespread and significant snow event that stuck around for 5 days to a week ...id say come on are you saying you wouldn't put a big tick in the winter 2021 cold and snow box!!??

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This has always been the problem with warm air trying to replace cold condition. These situations used to occur with greater frequency up here in NE England years ago and several time we were forecast rain or sleet but ended up with 5 to 8 cams of pretty wet snow.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the SSW and developments high above are going to override any tropical forcing at the moment, but both ECM and GEFS forecasts are hinting at a run into 6 or 7 later in the month, which may prolong blocking once the SSW has flushed through. It may mean we turn a 10-14 day cold spell into something much more notable.

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFSBC_member (6).gif

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

• Like 6