Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Para is a snow fest for everyone...especially the south! 

0DE81214-F9B5-42B7-A90D-67BF040D5C3E.png

8B010FDA-2272-45DC-BE3C-780BA7EEBDE5.png

except Bournemouth of course

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Certain kind of fool said:

I wouldn’t take these charts literately at this stage but there is a risk of occasional snow right down to the south coast..

7137B6AA-29EA-44AC-A9DF-8C3612E5D3A0.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

What's more shocking is it never gives snowfall for Ireland much.. don't know why 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Control good at 168 hours!!mean looks good!!

Mean looks awesome. 

You can see the increased heights towards Greenland and also the separation of the low with it being below the high. 

gensnh-31-1-168.thumb.png.09a82f9d16b753f1e9480585874bc164.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

If it was 15th Jan, the period after 19th would be an absolute nightmare for forecasters going on the model shenanigins at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

I'm also in Poole wouldn't worry to much at this stage. From that position would only be a matter of time anyway. I'm also expecting a bigger push south of the main lobe than currently indicated anyway with enhanced warming and downwelling coming up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Strong signal here imo. I’ll let others worry about detail.

8119DE4E-E592-431E-AA21-65693E2A4B2C.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Mean looks awesome. 

You can see the increased heights towards Greenland and also the separation of the low with it being below the high. 

gensnh-31-1-168.thumb.png.09a82f9d16b753f1e9480585874bc164.png

That's a very good improvement compared to earlier, it should show up in the graph form as less scatter now.... Confidence is rising we will get the initial Greenland ridge, but maybe just wait until the 12z until we can be sure

• Like 3

Posted

Mean is an improvement on the 0z, it could be a case of patience being a virtue, at present it seems like true cold isn’t really coming towards a reliable timeframe but we’d be exceptionally unfortunate not to get cold soon after this

8AD01E5D-D9CB-4D57-9505-112AB5FB9055.png

4E8DFE4F-0472-4F8B-A5EC-32EBA5F39DE0.png

• Like 2

Posted

GFS on the warm side for 19-20th looks like para could be more in the money with a quicker route to cold (less shortwave dramas) 

66D1BF39-15D6-49E5-940E-12A1B7BFA34B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS on the warm side for 19-20th looks like para could be more in the money with a quicker route to cold (less shortwave dramas) 

Well Para 6z actually takes much longer to pull cold air south and then blows it away in like 24 hours.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Mean is an improvement on the 0z, it could be a case of patience being a virtue, at present it seems like true cold isn’t really coming towards a reliable timeframe but we’d be exceptionally unfortunate not to get cold soon after this

8AD01E5D-D9CB-4D57-9505-112AB5FB9055.png

4E8DFE4F-0472-4F8B-A5EC-32EBA5F39DE0.png

I'm not sure about that the cold air moves from the Arctic to Iceland, a westerly movement, it should (my point of view) southwards. The area of high pressure is to much to the west.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
4 hours ago, Mucka said:

It may not be the insanely cold but it looks like snowy day 10 chart.

ECH1-240.GIF?12-12

If the low phased a few hours later then we would have the vary cold uppers pushing S over the UK instead of SW into the Atlantic.

We should really be celebrating the synoptic and getting past the danger phase as the details are going to change run to run.

just get me to 120/144 with no phasing to our W and I will take my cold, very cold, extremely cold or brutally cold medicine from there. 

I think currently the BBC going along with the ECMF Outlook in their long range monthly outlook they are saying that the main cold will be in the east and may miss us how ever they do say that with caution I do like the look of today’s ECMF though. Just out of interest what is the ECMWF 46 showing today? Do any of you have this month glosea update?

• Like 1

Posted

I have been a member of these forums since 2006 and not once can I recall such a prolonged and fascinating period of model watching. Truly fantastic! 

Every year there are new buzzwords, concerns and themes that absorb strongly into the discussion. This year I think all fingers can firmly be pointed at the words ‘West based Negative NAO’  Never has a phrase been so prominent! 

I think the concerns of a west based negative NAO will be reassured over the coming days! 

Bon voyage! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1