Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
20 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

anyone else having trouble viewing wetterzentrale?

yeah, seems to have crashed doesn't it  

• Like 2

Posted

In my experience GFS is pretty consistent on picking up the broad NH pattern but UKMO's short range modelling of shortwaves, troughs etc is more accurate which makes this mornings output a concern for any deep cold. If UKMO continues that approach on the 12z / 0z id know where I'd put my money ..

Posted

It's nice that we aren't losing the colder options in the morning runs anymore, a good sign I think personally. 

Posted

If anyone still interested in the short time frame then take a look at the latest icon!!moved to the fax chart at 54 hours!!infact it looks identical to the 60 hour fax chart

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.pngECM 0z ensemble mean

The best trending mean that coldies have had for many days.

Greenland High very likely from about 19th. Op very close to the mean throughout.

I'm I alone in being underwelmed with a mean and op that drifts down for 0 to -6 uppers from day 6 through to day 10 and this for northern England.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I'm I alone in being underwelmed with a mean and op that drifts down for 0 to -6 uppers from day 6 through to day 10 and this for northern England.  

No, I think your apathy is shared by many on here - until we get some run to run consistency on a solution nothing is settled - also feels like the landing zone for cold is constantly pushed back 24 th is is the new 20th ! 

• Like 2

Posted

Getting there aren't we...still need that ukmo for me too. Just puts some extra nails into 'nailed on'....

All this is irrelevant for my Surrey location it would seem atm...

Still better placed than many other years! Onwards...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

For those of you worrying about the snaw charts etc, they really aint worth a fig.. im 5 miles inland and only 70m asl and this morning we have woken to snaw falling and settling that wasnt even shown on any model i remember seeing.. 

When i first joined here there was a saying that got used often during winter months.

"Get the cold in first, then the snaw will follow" and it looks to me that cold is coming, uppers always improve as the time comes closer and snaw can pop up without notice.

Lets hope for further upgrades as the days tick down..

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Nope. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

EC is dangerously close to going wrong at 144...

You are a worrier NWS - chill out, you’ll give yourself a breakdown!

• Like 5

Posted

Oh my - 00z is a very cold run - CET of about -3C for the final third of the month!!

10 days away yet, so not likely to pan out quite like that, but would be a real kick in the teeth for the UK economy and vaccination programs. 

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Stu_London said:

Oh my - 00z is a very cold run - CET of about -3C for the final third of the month!!

10 days away yet but would be a real kick in the teeth for the UK economy and vaccination programs. 

just viewed 18Z though! complete opposite was showing 14 degrees

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

If anyone still interested in the short time frame then take a look at the latest icon!!moved to the fax chart at 54 hours!!infact it looks identical to the 60 hour fax chart

Yes a big correction compared to earlier.

almost getting you @sheikhy

iconeu_uk1-42-56-0.png

iconeu_uk1-42-50-0.png

iconeu_uk1-42-54-0.png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just viewed 18Z though! complete opposite was showing 14 degrees

yes just for fun at this point in time - far to distant in the future and too much run to run and ensemble volatility to take seriously at this stage. 

I said FI was +96 a couple of days ago - its more like +72 now 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

That front appears to be another 50 or so miles further west, so it's anyone's guess what and where what will fall at the moment, just remember what happened to that front 5 days ago over the north of England, it just froze when expected to drift south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still too dependant on phasing. Also, note how the nice charts are always at around 10 days, 5 days ago we were talking about around the 14th-15th, we are now talking about 20th-21st.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 minute ago, warrenb said:

Still too dependant on phasing. Also, note how the nice charts are always at around 10 days, 5 days ago we were talking about around the 14th-15th, we are now talking about 20th-21st.

I always thought it was the 20th that was earmarked as the potential landing point, 15 days after the first SSW.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Yep. I’ve already convinced myself it’s not happening this year. Then anything that comes along is a bonus

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

That’s a cracking ECM 0z ensemble mean, especially medium / longer term..just gets colder and colder from the north with more and more snow potential!..charts probably not in correct order (back to front)..I don’t care cos I’m so much excited..potentially!

7DC8E1D8-0E2E-46EE-8134-BCBF02C63E27.thumb.gif.f0ccaf9fb45c3cd8b75fd0ca068bdecb.gif3492C544-98FD-4929-B6E1-DC8476C16A25.thumb.gif.5db1d6a465bd2c7bbff64d49e04de875.gif3BD19F4E-D95F-48DF-92C0-D0D2844F748A.thumb.gif.261c7d59d6d5a6756bd93730024e829e.gifA1D78B02-6917-49D7-885E-FC89726D5941.thumb.gif.59ef41964f4646e3e0a32d9a91878804.gif8EF727CF-0920-46FB-B137-D299AACB4906.thumb.gif.7c10d54968a8c065c83142d87fe01d53.gif455B5FC1-F1E8-4163-891D-9733BE1D4671.thumb.gif.4ac28672cdeb5cfa3c5d7edb7041242c.gif

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
6 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Dont totally agree with this ....a number of members have also been saying 20th/21st Jan for proper cold to arrive before the weekend.....will say the UKMO is a worry in the semi reliable....but of course it is, we cant have a straight forward cold spell that all models agree on 6/7days out can we? wheres the fun in that! 

• Like 7