Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

I know! My location has gone from having rain as I am too far west to missing the snow as I am too far east!

At such short range the models are all over the place, but the fax is rarely wrong having the best data and human input.

Andy

As quite often the case with these type of fronts with building pressure to the east, it gets pushed further and further west as time gets closer, I’d say it will go further west still. Sure snow will only be a problem over hills etc as it’s just not cold enough imo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just seen GFS 00Z! one of best I think I have seen, but all deep FI, as FI is around +72, this chart could be a BOOM! it's a childhood 90's classic! snowfest, rain S of M4!

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Ecm op in cluster one which trends for a more west based neg NAO it appears, not want we want to see ideally. Still lots of members in clusters two or three  which would hopefully bring a more direct cold spell  

20210112075555-f26b8d5445b7d760977cf8f94b0de4d31ed9e43d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The mean itself is a huge upgrade.

ukmo can go whistle

There’s never been a cold spell that hasn’t had the UKMO on board unfortunately.  Plus this appears to be getting watered down like the pre Xmas spell especially for the south. 
Roll on spring

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ecm, gfs and gem means:

1310554613_EDH1-240(7).thumb.gif.9ab128a162304d69325908dbdb231b4d.gif175321531_gensnh-31-1-240(2).thumb.png.76efed3e9c8a321fa4d024a097f4ef68.pnggensnh-21-1-240.thumb.png.de098a572fe496869f105a9ce7cb89c8.png 

I would be relatively confident that we have crossed that event horizon and now have the envelope for the d10 period; heights building to our NW and a Scandi trough. The gefs at d11 showing various clusters (also London 850s):

gens_panel_yyw9.png graphe9_10000_306.9840087890625_148.6958770751953___.thumb.png.c378f43ce1414035998785b17b2d4feb.png

A few days needed to pinpoint finer details as to the extent of the trough and the cold flow. A neg NAO and the ebb and flow of Iberian heights remains potential spoilers in this pattern but the further north you are (and/or elevation) this should be a great setup?

• Like 5

Posted

Don't like ECM. It's very reluctant to drop the cold air south though it probably fits with the anomalies for the end of the January that Ventrice posted on twitter yesterday.

GFS Control is my run of the morning.

image.thumb.png.a3b4307c112e045b5e0359c184bcd9f7.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

There’s never been a cold spell that hasn’t had the UKMO on board unfortunately.  Plus this appears to be getting watered down like the pre Xmas spell especially for the south. 
Roll on spring

This is increasingly looking like a very favourable set up for the midlands north (if one can generalise like that). Battleground events look probable and the line for those battles are almost never drawn in the ‘south’ (for arguments sake, let’s say the M4 Boundary but probably a touch further than that. Just had a quick look at Exeter’s overnighter and despite their understandable fence-sitting, they’re not really having it, especially the further south you go. And looking at the suites this morning, not hard to see why. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
3 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

This is increasingly looking like a very favourable set up for the midlands north (if one can generalise like that). Battleground events look probable and the line for those battles are almost never drawn in the ‘south’ (for arguments sake, let’s say the M4 Boundary but probably a touch further than that. Just had a quick look at Exeter’s overnighter and despite their understandable fence-sitting, they’re not really having it, especially the further south you go. And looking at the suites this morning, not hard to see why. 

Agreed it is quite clear they aren't sure just how far the really cold air will dig ,  the fact that they are mentioning Southerly tracking LP's is always a good sign and as we know can produce some cracking snow events ..............................for some

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I'll be using these over ECM 

anim_otb3.gif

anim_elj2.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
9 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Guys,i know we are commenting on the models(which is fine)but we are looking too far ahead when even this week isn't nailed on yet!

the overall trends still look the same and the variation of the same theme looks to continue with Greenland heights and trough coming down from the N/NE in the extended

i am happy at the moment overall with today's proceedings.

latest from the cpc...,what more can you ask from those anomalies?

610day_03.thumb.gif.6cc74ce66bdc3def7554a1481cce943e.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.491d5dbd389ffc7da62fa9e1d89ebd8b.gif

They show the difference betweenb a Greenland Ridge and a Greenland high.... the 8-14 day chart certainly now adds weight to the argument for sustained cold.

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Roll on spring

Is this strictly true? I have seen the UKMO flip within T48 our climate is so finely balanced here in the UK small changes make for massive differences in surface conditions. 

• Like 2

Posted

Still a lot of uncertainty just 3 days out .

The ECM op is the mildest solution for the shortwave moving se . Never mind later on where lots of options are on the table and until those phasing issues are overcome then I’d urge coldies to not think this is a done deal .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

anyone else having trouble viewing wetterzentrale?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
19 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Roll on spring

Wasn't the UKMO pretty poor over the Christmas/New Year period. The only model to come out with any credibility over that period was the GFS imo. The UKMO and ECM haven't been great of late.

• Like 3

Posted
34 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Best thing about the ECM is that the GH starts at day 7....we are finally counting it down...

08DB2591-7BA9-40AF-86A7-CD52B9A61B95.png

Wish it (GH) was a little further east - the trough would then be further east and the risk from the higher heights to the south would be reduced.

Great potential though but still a distance away from boom charts (they need to happen at day 4 or less).

FWIW, the ext EPS do look better than previous two runs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
44 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.3c770d80f33ce988e2d360ef95d946b1.png

Thats a booooooooom.

I cannot see how anything can be ‘boom’ at that far out.  

Edited by Beanz