Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
23 minutes ago, LoisE said:

Could you please explain what "upgrade" means on the 18z GEFZ weather model compared to the earlier version? Is it using new technology or something? Thank you. 

Same model. He is just referring to fact that the amplification up to Greenland looks better in the  18z gefs run than it did in the 12z run.(hence upgrade). 

Posted

My take on it is that the flip flopping will continue and models will firm up a bit by around 14th January. 

Probabilities as I see them for the final third of the month

15% - SSW continues to disrupt patterns but the whole thing has a bit too much mobility and we miss out. Further disruption of the vortex might lead to better luck in February as mobility tends to drop away then.

25% - A cold spell of sorts will occur but rather like the new year one, it will not deliver for everyone and will frustrate many. Likely to break to milder set for first part of Feb.

20% - Frequent transient events with conditions alternating between cold and mild with some epic localised battleground set ups. - could progress to something more special in February. 

30% - A solid but unspectacular cold spell with some snow events but a lot of dry weather as the high eventually topples over the UK. High pressure likely to stick around but could retrogress to Scandi in Feb. 

10% - Epic cold spell going down in the history books comparable 2009, 2010 (twice), 2013 (March, not January) and 2018 that continues to deliver well into Feb. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON 156 ...

image.thumb.png.42eaf2266db2237ae1f0189272571ac3.png

Upgrade ...

Good start to the day !

Artic high 1050! Looks good NWS.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON 156 ...

image.thumb.png.42eaf2266db2237ae1f0189272571ac3.png

Upgrade ...

Good start to the day !

image.thumb.png.d213efe45598b6ba99658d557541816a.png

Not perfect but its an improvement ...

And we need upgrades today.. 

I know I keep banging on about the cut off low, but it really is critical... You can see on this run its so much more intense compared to the ECM and fires waa north to help create a better ridge

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I know I keep banging on about the cut off low, but it really is critical... You can see on this run its so much more intense compared to the ECM and fires waa north to help create a better ridge

Yup.

If I were being picky I'd want the pattern a few hundred miles east ..

But 00z is an improvement on its 18z so that's a trend I want continued.

I was subdued yesterday as personally i did not like the Euro models in particular.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

Would have liked to see a few hours more on that icon run. Looked like it was evolving with some promise.

• Like 1

Posted

I like the ICON solution - lets see how the other models handle this evolution - until the cut off low situation is resolved everything afterwards should be binned. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Very true BS looks key to GH possibilities at only 7-8 days. I think marine cold air outbreaks could become a distinct probability in these circumstances.  Causing so much uncertainty along with the ssw repercussions its a dream.

• Like 1

Posted

With the exceptional of high elevations in Scotland, GFS not interested in making much of the front on Wednesday / Thursday - pushes the cold air away to the east

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo not amazing, but it also has a more intense feature at 144, the ridge heading up further west though.. I'll take that for a starting point.

Nice Arctic high placement

UN144-21 (14).gif

Looks pretty good to me. Was going to post it saying as much.

Low out in the Atlantic is going to become cut off and strong ridge build behind it into Greenland.

the two lows to the NW and North would phase with the upper trough over Scandi.

Only worry would be Iberian heights if the trough didn't dig far enough SW but I would expect us to be in NE flow around day 10 from there.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Looks pretty good to me. Was going to post it saying as much.

Low out in the Atlantic is going to become cut off and strong ridge build behind it into Greenland.

the two lows to the NW and North would phase with the upper trough over Scandi.

Only worry would be Iberian heights if the trough didn't dig far enough SW but I would expect us to be in NE flow around day 10 from there.

I was trying to remain cautious, but I'm happy to go with that assessment! Sounds good

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

Cut off low present on the GFS - huge downstream changes again from 18z at 144hrs

Although there is another low spawned of SE Greenland on this run - gone from no lows to 2 lows. Doesn't look all that viable to me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

I was trying to remain cautious, but I'm happy to go with that assessment! Sounds good

Yes sensible because we are only projecting from there but it is in abetter place than GFS 00z with a similar synoptic for both the trough to develop to our NE and ridge to our W so if GFS is decent you can give UKMO a gold star 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Cut off low present on the GFS - huge downstream changes again from 18z at 144hrs

If that low near Iceland shifts off would be good, but better for sure.. it's almost as if the models have shifted back to the previous way of thinking. We have seen this happen in the past... A little wobble then revert.. great model watching!

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Gfs op is a poor attempt, failed retrogression, the result is stagnant westerlies and the UK quite mild despite the on face-value mammoth blocking 

The Iberian high is being a real pain in the neck on most runs. What are the chances that will downgrade on future runs?