Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
1 minute ago, Frostbite1980 said:

The energy coming out of the US is going to go over the ridge and flattern the pattern in future frames IMO

You ate probably correct, but who cares at that range? We are discussing a day 10 chart in deep deep FI when the models are diverging at 96!

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, CSC said:

For the doom and Gloomers, it’s clear GFS OP is an obvious outlier and its fiat to say the models don’t have a clue what’s going on even at t48, t72. Check these 2m temp forecasts from the ensembles tonight. Some say 9c, some say freezing at 0c. The GFS are clueless   FB59909D-9F77-4E08-8076-214BD8073408.thumb.png.6f5eaf5a0fe229cf8a80d617611b48b4.pngright now! 

Doesn’t look as much of an outlier for London? Perhaps it’s just the south coast?

90308751-301D-4739-B4B7-0672AB59E2C0.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, Frostbite1980 said:

The energy coming out of the US is going to go over the ridge and flattern the pattern in future frames IMO

10 days away? I'm not too concerned. We haven't got agreement at 5 days. It's pointless fretting about a scenario at this time frame. Personally, I'm really enjoying this period of model watching. Like the majority, I want cold and snow. It's all the fun of the ride. It's only the weather.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

This retreating front with snow is starting to pop up on a number of models Thurs night 

Screenshot_20210110-224613.thumb.png.a4bdc661b56629e8ad2327be2c6e9411.png

Screenshot_20210110-224638.thumb.png.9abc12421a7ddc20e1e196448db3e636.png

Strong signal on GEFS as well..

61AC1617-ACCC-4FB9-8A88-FF68E9E62C59.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, Jason H said:

10 days away? I'm not too concerned. We haven't got agreement at 5 days. It's pointless fretting about a scenario at this time frame. Personally, I'm really enjoying this period of model watching. Like the majority, I want cold and snow. It's all the fun of the ride. It's only the weather.

Totally agree that is why I said I had seen enough. I was only commenting on the latter part of the run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

In short,...thats not a bad set of 18z gefs ens,...for London...

ens_image.thumb.png.8f6095eb0fb902037d568ad4dd28427e.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not to put too much of a downer on the evening but that T222 para is a very similar height pattern to the ec mean ...... nite ...

image.thumb.png.6e2c9a95bfa122bab1bc5deaaf8ac36f.pngimage.thumb.png.f9c052148dd2a31e5576d9179fbb9027.png    

Surprised to see you compare a T222 op run with an ensemble mean?  

Models are a total mess today.  I wouldn’t believe any of them.  

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

In short,...thats not a bad set of 18z gefs ens...

ens_image.thumb.png.8f6095eb0fb902037d568ad4dd28427e.png

I will happily take that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Fresh EC 12z Scenarios, beginning with +72 and 3 Clusters! 6 clusters already in +144h!

This 12z is messed up!

spacer.png   spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Doesn’t look as much of an outlier for London? Perhaps it’s just the south coast?

90308751-301D-4739-B4B7-0672AB59E2C0.jpeg

Possibly. Personally I believe if it can’t get the first 72 hours right then from then onward might aswell be disregarded. It’s possible all models are wrong! Back to the drawing board tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
10 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

This retreating front with snow is starting to pop up on a number of models Thurs night 

Nice to see something decent for the East Anglian coldies.

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Eh?  I'm sure the landing point for proper cold has been 20/21 January for days now?

That is still 240 hours away based on the current output?

Indeed. But if we don't see an improvement in the next 24-48 hours, the cold can will be getting kicked further down the road.

15 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Yes - this is gaining momentum now on GFS / others for Thu night.

Initially on Wednesday the front produces a risk of snow to rain, primarily above 100m north east of Derbyshire before a transition to rain. The 850mb 0C isotherm is then tracked slightly west on Thursday as the front pushes west too, producing a more favourable adiabatic environment. This will be expressed given favourable evaporative cooling so largely dependent on intensity below 300 metres. The risk is there for a slow precipitation change to lower levels esp given the way some models are projecting intensity now - which is over 2.5mm / hour for a fairly wide area NE Derbyshire initially on Thursday. Also note a gentle easterly wind is crucial for elevations between 0 and 300 metres getting their temp down closer to 0, this projected to happen later on Thursday again increasing the risk of snowfall.

Into Thursday night the front tracks west once again with uppers falling, surface temperatures largely conducive too. Bit of an easterly flow near the coast largely limiting wintry precip within 10 miles of coast. Inland needs to be watched imo for a rain to snow event. The stalling nature of this front needs to be watched too - esp if the snow line is effectively lowered early on with a stalling band & a gentle easterly flow - potential for quite a few cms of accumulation locally. So this is the potential, lets watch how projections model intensity & positioning which are key here. 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

You ate probably correct, but who cares at that range? We are discussing a day 10 chart in deep deep FI when the models are diverging at 96!

This is the model output thread no? So whether likely to happen or not surely I can put my view forward?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The UKV longer range has been toiling with the idea of snow in the Northwest in to Scotland Wednesday in to Thursday:

viewimage.thumb.png.f3b34d76bb812ee7af607f8756da493d.png 1349825227_viewimage(1).thumb.png.13fff7eaa0cbdcf1330df492d47ccf20.png 75180310_viewimage(2).thumb.png.ba10e4efa1a2cfa5c7ee35ed10ea5d08.png

1580216554_viewimage(3).thumb.png.ab6461a5bbc4760c4c3b3256f6253ae3.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes - this is gaining momentum now on GFS / others for Thu night.

Initially on Wednesday the front produces a risk of snow to rain, primarily above 100m north east of Derbyshire before a transition to rain. The 850mb 0C isotherm is then tracked slightly west on Thursday as the front pushes west too, producing a greater risk of snow. This fuelled by evaporative cooling so largely dependent on intensity below 300 metres. However, the risk is there for a slow precipitation change to lower levels esp given the way some models are projecting intensity now - which is over 2.5mm / hour for a fairly wide area NE Derbyshire initially on Thursday. 

Into Thursday night the front tracks west once again with uppers falling, surface temperatures largely conducive too. Bit of an easterly flow near the coast largely limiting wintry precip within 10 miles of coast. Inland needs to be watched imo for a rain to snow event. The stalling nature of this front needs to be watched too - esp if the snow line is effectively lowered early on with a stalling band & a gentle easterly flow - potential for quite a few cms of accumulation locally. So this is the potential, lets watch how projections model intensity & positioning which are key here. 

Birmingham eastwards perhaps Thurs evening?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

This is the model output thread no? So whether likely to happen or not surely I can put my view forward?

Absolutely. As I am able to put my view across. I know you were quoting somebody else, and it was not meant to be a criticism.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 1