Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The anomalies can be misleading when heights are weak they’re not really influential Greenland heights, I don’t think we should dress it up a step in wrong direction this evening. Let’s hope it pulls back a bit in morning and ideally with a good ECM op. All models are struggling and ens won’t be an exception. 

20549C69-D06F-434A-A64F-965F1EF5C1B8.thumb.png.0559a7f37ee8fd258921d5e044d0f481.png>A09091CA-9A4B-43C1-98B7-581D59EB0E21.thumb.png.1f858e3b192eb64e84204a863bf3fd82.png

Just my observation but probably not backed up by stats so completely ignore, but I note the models tend to perform more poorly on a Sunday for some reason..and we see marked corrections on a Monday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

npst30.png npst30.png

Hmm - note the colder 'tail' on the 18z. Variations here may be a factor in the chaos we're seeing below - though surely not the full story.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hows the snow looking on the 18z gfs for thursday friday?para had some as posted above!

Most places in the east see some as far down as London. Front dies quickly after transition though which is to be expected as high pressure will squash the front like a bug!

EDIT: Ignore as I was looking at the GFSP. Snow chance much less on GFS Opp

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Looks like the Atlantic amplification is heading towards a potent NEasterly if it doesn’t collapse too quickly

D70F6176-BBB3-4874-9018-6B86B07E7845.thumb.jpeg.23b0d02ac5c8f1fa439e0fa0ea630538.jpeg

Too much energy coming out NE US looking likely to sink the high over the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 18z is a decent run, here T204, the red line follows the 1025 mb contour, and gives a chance to move the cold towards us as per the arrow.  

9FCDC144-D60F-411B-8838-CE61D36FE760.thumb.jpeg.2b8eca6718d93da33e8dec096e3e30e7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms

Yet again we are chasing charts again in the fi timeframe I’m afraid anything decent is always +192 hours plus This SSW could easily affect the USA and we stay on the mild side unfortunately I see this scenario playing out this time around ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just an observation but don’t we usually see e-w patterns back west (westward correction) as time progresses towards a possible cold outbreak from the east or north east.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, ianmm94 said:

Here come the doom and gloom posts again

Not doom and gloom at all it’s the UK we are used to disappointment  in winter as it’s the normal now and it has been for a long time the exception being 2010 and 2018 !

Edited by Mr snowman 2018
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

18z is a good run. Produces snow, especially for the East. It’s completely different to the earlier runs or to ECM so can’t give it much credence. As long as we get snow i’m not fussed what direction / Synoptic is comes via!

2C58EC5F-9F22-421F-982C-95F58739DDAA.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

After the last few sets of GEFS , I 'm betting this will be on the high side 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not a bad run for cold up to d10 even though it moved towards the ecm with the downstream pattern, a reversal of the trough (PV chunk) as it returns towards the Arctic. It did in the intervening time bring with it a much colder upper flow so we have some better cold pooling. d10 chart:

389185139_gfseu-0-246(2).thumb.png.6be3caeffa1cd749416232d842876dae.png 58139701_gfseu-1-240(2).thumb.png.ebb06d0eff1ddf47ac489eb6f1f23eba.png

I would bank that but we have to see how this pattern, if it has taken a turn away from Greenland heights, develops in future runs, as the ecm is not so good by d10.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
5 minutes ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

Yet again we are chasing charts again in the fi timeframe I’m afraid anything decent is always +192 hours plus This SSW could easily affect the USA and we stay on the mild side unfortunately I see this scenario playing out this time around ! 

Eh?  I'm sure the landing point for proper cold has been 20/21 January for days now?

That is still 240 hours away based on the current output?

• Like 7

Posted

I have seen enough.....too much energy going over the top of the ridge...there is only one way this run is going and that is as flat as a pancake. Tomorrow is another day so hopefully we see a better day of op runs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, Frostbite1980 said:

I have seen enough.....too much energy going over the top of the ridge...there is only one way this run is going and that is as flat as a pancake. Tomorrow is another day so hopefully we see a better day of op runs

Flat as a pancake.... 

image.thumb.png.caef5d6b01149f6fe2db193c27a97a8f.png

• Like 4

For the doom and Gloomers, it’s clear GFS OP is an obvious outlier and its fiat to say the models don’t have a clue what’s going on even at t48, t72. Check these 2m temp forecasts from the ensembles tonight. Some say 9c, some say freezing at 0c. The GFS are clueless   FB59909D-9F77-4E08-8076-214BD8073408.thumb.png.6f5eaf5a0fe229cf8a80d617611b48b4.pngright now! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat
2 minutes ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

Not doom and gloom at all it’s the UK we are used to disappointment  in winter as it’s the normal now and it has been for a long time the exception being 2010 and 2018 !

The models are all over the place at the moment, which is usually a better sign for us than the usual +NAO winters with a euro high. Look at the NH view on the 12z compared to the 18, it's completely different in the latter stages which shows the volatility that's going on at the moment

Just now, Allseasons-si said:

No doom and gloom from me,we have to get this week nailed on yet never mind day ten!

the NWP'S(numerical weather patterns) are still toying with the nuances from the SSW and this won't be settled for a good few days yet, initial SSW date was the 5th Jan and we are only 5 days in and it will take another good 5 days> before the lag effect down wells into the trop,landing zone at the earliest,..20th>

Good to hear some still have optimism!

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Flat as a pancake.... 

image.thumb.png.caef5d6b01149f6fe2db193c27a97a8f.png

The energy coming out of the US is going to go over the ridge and flattern the pattern in future frames IMO

• Like 1

Posted

Not to put too much of a downer on the evening but that T222 para is a very similar height pattern to the ec mean ...... nite ...

image.thumb.png.6e2c9a95bfa122bab1bc5deaaf8ac36f.pngimage.thumb.png.f9c052148dd2a31e5576d9179fbb9027.png    

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3