Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted

Personally I dont see anything to be worried about just yet. For me it's just about downwelling timing. Its clear they are picking up the downwelling but surely this will now increase as time goes on and then reflect in the output. I've not looked lately how much downwelling has acured to todays date and the timeline involved but maybe that's worth a quick look. When the reinforcements hit again give it a delay time then you'll see that reflects in the models. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

P7 is an absolute stonker ( but it’s 16 days away ) . Just thought I would post it because of the insane uppers . 

D93C840C-308C-404C-A4C1-58FAF999F967.png

5177794A-EAAF-4A47-8DE4-6E32F6073B91.png

B0A155C9-006C-438A-9814-33D8100D47BB.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
19 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Looking at the clusters D8-D15 

20210110091633-e3a12b5df9888ca1e68f54aa4df5180d142977fc.thumb.png.1f3c3f2a7863627a3e8ef07fbad9ace9.png

20210110091650-0722af560c1a11dc2b03ff19973c68b4a5dd1112.thumb.png.b417ba02a0c542b5316a5e51bd0e50d2.png

I sense the ECM op is out of kilter with the main thrust of the ensembles. The eventual outcome is a Greenland ridge of sorts by D11, with varying outcomes. 6 clusters. On the T264-T360, the two slightly larger clusters keep a strong ridge to the NW throughout and therefore likely to be very cold. Three other clusters are trending towards west based -NAO so UK cold prospects rely on depth of cold filtered in from the east along with the positioning of the front dividing cold and mild. The remaining cluster weakens the ridge to the NW and would lead to average conditions.

On the whole, cold favoured D8-D15 but not necessarily for all.

gens-14-1-240.png

gens-14-0-252.png

In the EXTENDED 264 + timeframes I’m counting

22 members with the strong ridge very cold set up, strong north/northeast flow

16 members with a cold set up though not as extreme, perhaps more battleground scenario.

13 with a much milder flow, Azore/Euro ridge holding.

Thats roughly 75% cold, 25% milder. Good set!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

GFS making more of the low in the mid Atlantic on the 6z what the does down the line....I have no idea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Some positives:

At the moment the ensembles are very clearly trending towards another cold spell (The coldest GEFS set yet) and the prolonged turbulence in the stratosphere definitely adds something to the mix..

image.thumb.png.93c5cb9a3edce53ef2f9d940a8caae92.png

Hints (again) of a Scandi High trying to build on the ICON 6z & the upcoming GFS 6z (sub 528 across the country again).

image.thumb.png.880c79aac37d25230637a2df18c284c9.pngimage.thumb.png.b6fc0bccc613af1eb40136234df46049.pngimage.thumb.png.00ba01efbc46de822c2c9a0b3e04893b.png

There is a second SSW (reversal) due in a couple of days and even a third later on in the month.

The consequences of this are very hard to predict so model volatilty will surely be the order of the day!.

The opportunities remain very much on the table for a decent cold spell, moreso than we've had at this time of year, for a long time.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
40 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The frustration continues . 

The ECM op really drops the ball later on and delivers a day ten chart that suggests the SSW was an illusion ! 

We seem to be in the chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow mode.

At some point day ten charts need to start counting down and not left marooned at that stage .

It has counted down on the ensembles now to 8/9 ish, remember that mean Atlantic / S Greenland ridge was at one point d12, wouldn't worry about the ops until the ensembles get it within D6 unless the ops are throwing out poor runs every run, in the main the op runs have been pretty good the last few days, If we are to get a proper Greenland block like 2010, the eps and GEFS mean will have to start showing it over the next 24-48 hours i would think, favoured outcome IMO is the GFS 0z at the minute, where the ridge will be far enough North to get some very cold air over us and yes it may look temporary and not as severe as the proper searing cold of some runs, it could re-amplify once we get that far rather than starting to collapse into a MLB like it does on that GFS run, this is what i have in mind as to what might be the closest to verification.

image.thumb.png.6ce53a640c612c9d2b17fe4c5c1a3f82.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM on its way to the tragic day ten chart does throw a few teases in but will they still be there this evening and the UKMO looks totally underwhelming upto day 6.

There is a lot of chopping and changing between runs so hopefully it will change once again !

I agree the Euro operationals this morning are poor! But taking all the data together shows a more interesting picture. 

EC op was in one of the lesser clusters.

But as you say with everything chopping and changing its hard to pin anything down at the moment. 

Will await EC this evening with interest to see which way it goes along with the ensembles.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Personally I dont see anything to be worried about just yet. For me it's just about downwelling timing. Its clear they are picking up the downwelling but surely this will now increase as time goes on and then reflect in the output. I've not looked lately how much downwelling has acured to todays date and the timeline involved but maybe that's worth a quick look. When the reinforcements hit again give it a delay time then you'll see that reflects in the models. 

Yes ...the potential is there.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

And again changes early on and front grinding to a halt across eastern areas!!further west than 12z yesterday!!

The 12z runs certainly took the front well into the North Sea. This 06z returns it back to just off the east coast 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The 12z runs certainly took the front well into the North Sea. This 06z returns it back to just off the east coast 

And IF it keeps pushing back west it might not even leave mainland england

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Looking colder again earlier on this run.

The cold to the east is further west by the end of the week, with the -8 850’s brushing east coast.

B29F3B90-30BD-4FF5-A5B8-03D0947527B9.png

B15E5C81-9B68-4D30-A705-EB2AD43C7134.png

4157596F-2FE5-4B68-8A57-6B5A8CADED0F.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Usually with these scenarios if the front makes it to the East coast you can forget anything but transitory snow. If it stalls just short ie just west of London places get buried. That ECM snow event looks very unlikely just based on experience more than anything. It will either not reach here or it will be rain. Living where you do I suspect you will know where I’m coming from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

And IF it keeps pushing back west it might not even leave mainland england

Aye, Oadby could be buried, and I'm sweating in 11 degrees

ukmaxtemp.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Could be a big snow event with that low coming in.

image.thumb.png.8d3be1e84d6c0f96b6909265a6e72d7f.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The front that stalls over the east does turn to snow eventually, though I suspect it would only be a few flurries as the system decays. Looks quite cold by the end of the week. The 06z looks to be cutting the next low through the ridge so the theme remaining cold but probably dry with hard frosts and freezing fog in places.

image.thumb.png.74bd501d9a5515f245286393409b9fd6.png

We certainly need to see improvements in the upstream pattern to encourage potentially severe cold towards Western Europe and the U.K. The ensembles still look good for this at the moment later in week 2.

• Like 2