Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
12 minutes ago, slater said:

We will tap into this cold air in March and April , we all know it will happen 

Personally I think there will be a delay.  But I reckon February will be the month of interest.........

Posted

Although there is a lot of divergence in the models, it seems however, around the 18/19th there is more and more agreement for us to be in a north easterly flow, with high pressure to varying degress to the northwest , and a low over scandanavia somewhere.

Although this is far out, the similarities are quite stark, i mean, how close are we to saying, there is a ‘more than likely chance this is happening’

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, dragan said:

Although there is a lot of divergence in the models, it seems however, around the 18/19th there is more and more agreement for us to be in a north easterly flow, with high pressure to varying degress to the northwest , and a low over scandanavia somewhere.

Although this is far out, the similarities are quite stark, i mean, how close are we to saying, there is a ‘more than likely chance this is happening’

At the moment I’d say about 60% chance.  

Posted
15 minutes ago, XtremeUKWeather said:

Is it possible for you to share this

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Weather for UK, Ireland and the world. Sailing, Marine Weather, Weather maps, radar, satellite, climate, historic weather data, information about meteorology, reports, weather warning.

• Thanks 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecmwf 06z not backing down judging from the pressure chart at 72 hours!!!

It is slightly more progressive than the 00z run. Uppers of -3 over London at Wed 13th 00z as opposed to -5 from the 00z run.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

At the moment I’d say about 60% chance.  

Like it Mike!

I'll raise you to 75% ...

Just get that ridge into Greeny and watch that bitter Arctic air flood south west..

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Jason H said:

I agree with this post, but it's a slightly condecending way of putting it. 5 days is the maximum at the moment and probably most of the time. But it had to be said, each run seems to end cold. 

It’s spelled condescending 

Sorry, couldn’t resist!!!

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

What are the uppers like?

Marginal!

Back to the models, @carinthian’s post was very.good, but I worry that there seems to be a pivotal point for the UK between cold and mild. Sadly, in those situations, mild is nearly always the outcome.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
19 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

It’s also high pressure dominated!

How about we start a “Nept Weather” thread?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

With all the flip flopping amongst the current output, even within a relatively short timeframe likely being caused by the SSW. I wouldn't be surprised to suddenly see freezing charts covering us in a shorter timeframe than some are currently predicting. 

The cold is clearly going to be dropping into Scandi and Europe, and once that happens it doesn't take much of a backing west of the pattern before we join them.

Could all go wrong of course, but that's just my hunch as of now. I feel we could have cold on our doorstep sooner than we might think!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, mulzy said:

It is slightly more progressive than the 00z run. Uppers of -3 over London at Wed 13th 00z as opposed to -5 from the 00z run.

By T90 the precip is about 50 miles further east of the 00z ans uppers and Dp’s approx 1c higher across e England. Obviously not the trend we want if it continues but within a margin of error, run to run at this range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Like it Mike!

I'll raise you to 75% ...

Just get that ridge into Greeny and watch that bitter Arctic air flood south west..

After EC and GFSp are nearly on the same tracks, I would even raise this to a 85% outcome probabilty

• Like 1

I think some may be exceptionally surprised with the days ahead. There have been moments, albeit rare, where the GFS is entirely wrong even just 48h+ out. So expect surprises. 

My bold prediction is that within 7 days, we are going to see a cold N’Ely. This period of time just feels different, and I really just don’t think the U.K. will go considerably mild again for quite some time. A mild rest on Monday - Thurs and then back to cold and snow potential from then onwards is my view. Hang on in there. The ride has just begun.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Vikos said:

After EC and GFSp are nearly on the same tracks, I would even raise this to a 85% outcome probabilty

You are very optimistic. Been burnt too many times to go for anything beyond 50:50.

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Marginal!

Back to the models, @carinthian’s post was very.good, but I worry that there seems to be a pivotal point for the UK between cold and mild. Sadly, in those situations, mild is nearly always the outcome.

Yes, the chances of reverting to something more akin to climatology is always there. However this isn’t your typical winter, so our chances for colder are higher than would typically be the case.

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

By T90 the precip is about 50 miles further east of the 00z ans uppers and Dp’s approx 1c higher across e England. Obviously not the trend we want if it continues but within a margin of error, run to run at this range. 

Ye i did say earlier the ecm might have gone off on one with the generous snow amounts for midweek aswell!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
18 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

You are very optimistic. Been burnt too many times to go for anything beyond 50:50.

You're right.

I have to mention, that I live on the continent, so I have a slightly better chance of prolonged (hard) cold here.

Sorry, sometimes I just forget that this is a Brit's forum...

• Like 7

Posted
53 minutes ago, slater said:

Same here since last Monday temps for My area been showing 9c for the coming week, now 5c and 6c, no one going to know what’s to happen, look at Madrid today, no one really expected all that snow 

If you have Windy app it is quite good looking at the webcams in Spain. The app will show new snow cover. Most show a stream over a 24 hour period. Lot of places start with no snow and then a lot. Very envious. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

It is actually pretty cold on Neptune too.

As others have mentioned, the GFS // has been quite consistent compared to the current GFS, and is beginning to pull away in the verification stats:

9FC2846E-83A6-428A-9009-DF4D756EE9C3.thumb.png.717c4784cf89d3bd4b94043e93ea4a97.png

Interesting that during normal times it verified pretty similar, but as the main upgrade is massively increased vertical resolution, you could say it is made for the aftermath of an SSW.

GEM (CMC) is also outperforming both GFS GFSp and UKMO! It still doesn’t get much airtime on here though ??‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

GEM (CMC) is also outperforming both GFS GFSp and UKMO! It still doesn’t get much airtime on here though ??‍♂️

GEM has been very good since it had an upgrade sometime in 2019.  It is usually 3rd above GFS.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GEM has been very good since it had an upgrade sometime in 2019.  It is usually 3rd above GFS.

I’ve always championed it, as you say it verifies very well and often above GFS. We also get to see all the data , eg precip charts so I’ve always wondered why it gets ignored in favour of GFS and often just get laughed at when posted.  

• Like 4

Posted
33 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I thought it might be time to post the GEFS 06Z ens... And there are plenty of nippy, potentially snowy runs among them -- not least, the Operational and Control:?‍♂️:drunk-emoji:

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

And the NH profiles seem to be headed in the 'right' direction, too:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Looking good. Netweather has the most visually readable GEFS ensembles graph, but when are they going to start showing the full 30-set not just 20?

• Like 2