Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

anything coming of the sky probably wet rather than white in kent and parts of east anglia - story of 2020-1 so far

Really?????

image.thumb.png.3d6a7f13612f08c12b7ec85f5f126ebd.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.9f8f9caca165b6df7804ebfad5dfdf80.png

Incredible cold....what is the GFS playing at?  

BFTP

I don’t know but it’s nice too see never the less perfectly plausible and within the envelope of the means at this point in time great synoptic

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Really?????

image.thumb.png.3d6a7f13612f08c12b7ec85f5f126ebd.png

thats 2 days later - it was an irony post anyway. + 252 might as well be showing weather patterns on Neptune for all the use there are to us at this very moment in time.

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I honestly don't think the models have a clue at the moment - ECM not showing a GHP at day 10...GFS swinging wildly from run to run from averageness to possible meltdowns in here (nothing knew there), UKMO teasing but that's about it. I wonder if we can say come back in a few days time and things will become a bit clearer?...I doubt it!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It might be highly unlikely to happen... But, hey, the 06Z has brightened up my day!?‍♂️

h500slp.png     h850t850eu.png

And then there's the age-old problem with marginality: will powder snow lie on the beach, or not!

h500slp.png     h850t850eu.png

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well, FI or not, the 6z is one of the runs of the winter so far, gets proper deep cold in and just gets colder.

image.thumb.png.de3ba040e8fc7dcdead45707f8919728.png  image.thumb.png.0c47c6c3d2d665b3de14aea14bae7b6b.png

The Para at 240 also delivers the goods.

image.thumb.png.b74b2941017d64e89730e677b3743d6b.png

Caveat - This WILL be very different on the next run!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

thats 2 days later

I know, but not sure why you were worried about a chart that was almost guaranteed to give you a pasting 2 days later, you could say t50 doesnt give you a dumping, yes i know its deep FI at 288 but surely we are debating how good the run for snow is here, obviously a heck of a long way to get it to t0 and odds against of course although some support from both ENS suites.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The swings between consecutive GFS runs are quite astounding at the moment. Day 10 / 00z Tuesday 19 Jan below 00z v 06z:

00z day 10

GFSOPEU00_240_1.thumb.png.37fdd8e7c9573a0018e62e3efb3d19cf.png

06z Day 10

GFSOPEU06_234_1.thumb.png.b37e7e5a5126f143a886e9e6dabbd9b2.png

The model really struggling with what's likely a combo of SSW downwelling, re-amplification in Atlantic and arctic high extending towards GIN corridor.

06z GFS reverted back to what it showed on the 18z, will the 12z show what the 00z showed just to keep the rollercoaster going?!

Say it again.. but its these 00zs.Always underwhelming .Dont know why

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I honestly don't think the models have a clue at the moment - ECM not showing a GHP at day 10...GFS swinging wildly from run to run from averageness to possible meltdowns in here (nothing knew here), UKMO teasing but that's about it. I wonder if we can say come back in a few days time and things will become a bit clearer?...I doubt it!

I genuinely think that FI is about 72 hours onwards at the moment. SSWs are kryptonite for the supercomputers

• Like 3

Posted

something to look at as the gfs op rumbles on in the T300’s ....the Atlantic ridge retreats south and the jet powers up - no analysis of the specifics of this run but where will the trough extension coming off the esb go ?  This represents a fair cluster of gefs members and would like to know how the op handles the interaction between Atlantic jet and sceuro trough 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Micro analysis more than five days out  means you’ve really nothing better to be doing .....

the para showing a little more continuity than the op 

I agree with this post, but it's a slightly condecending way of putting it. 5 days is the maximum at the moment and probably most of the time. But it had to be said, each run seems to end cold. 

Edited by Jason H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I just want this to happen....there’ll be no concerns over breaking lockdown here

image.thumb.png.349175ec3d6a216dd38ecc7b6f2ec402.png

image.thumb.png.b646640af2b311b479cc1eb0596e9c87.png

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Perfect placement of the Azores trough/low at d8 on the gfs 06z:

d8 06z gfs op>430774490_ink(2).thumb.png.6471d17779b5cfdf4668b0009b6af82b.png

Making the best out of this trop led ridge. The 0z was the complete opposite, the worse case scenario. So I would say anywhere between the two for d8+, flatter or more perpendicular flow? The clusters highlight the difficulty at this range to nail that feature, small cluster supportive of the op, but declining clusters from there:

gens_panel_ukt0.png

Certainly this appears to be happenstance atm, rather than imprinting from the strat so fingers crossed we get closer to the 06z take?

• Thanks 4

Posted

For those who don’t have time to read the last few pages:

No model or indeed human has any idea where we are heading. I agree that anything past 3 days is pure fantasy at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jason H said:

I agree with this post, but it's a slightly condecending way of putting it. 5 days is the maximum at the moment and probably most of the time. But it had to be said, each run seems to end cold. 

Not meant to be Jason - probably directed as much at myself ! 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 minutes ago, Jason H said:

I think it’s aimed across the board...where will we end up?  No idea...but I have my bias

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

The para runs on a wedge evolution  which fits quite well with the ens mean - though I don’t feel the mean is overly representative at certain points as timings on ridges and trough aren’t quite in sync across the members 

a lesser spotted channel low !  If we get a flatter Atlantic then it’s feasible although a higher risk strategy...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

something to look at as the gfs op rumbles on in the T300’s ....the Atlantic ridge retreats south and the jet powers up - no analysis of the specifics of this run but where will the trough extension coming off the esb go ?  This represents a fair cluster of gefs members and would like to know how the op handles the interaction between Atlantic jet and sceuro trough 

What would you say the chances of the jet firing up would be given the current synoptics and the prospect of a further strat warming? I might be completely wrong but it just doesn't seem the likely outcome to me. (N.B. that's not me saying we will be locked in the freezer from the end of January until April).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Just for fun...and because I have nothing better to do...shall we start that debate on what a ‘Blizzard ‘ is

B1434D2A-1FEF-40A2-8338-DB88F694629D.png

BB2A47FF-B3D4-44FC-B09E-6BAC29D26275.png

I love your snow charts even if unlikely its what keeps many of us going

Edited by Frostbite1980
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1