Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted

GFSP not being mentioned tonight because it basically goes zonal.

That said, based on all output and GEFS nobody can really predict at present beyond day 6 (even that is a stretch). The GEFS are all over the place by day 6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

using the mean for trends is probably at its least effective with so many variables out there. 

I'd like to see some clustering of the long ensembles to spot a trend right this minute - but nothing doing at the moment. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

That said, based on all output and GEFS nobody can really predict at present beyond day 6 (even that is a stretch). The GEFS are all over the place by day 6.

Parallel seems to have gone wrong as early as D6- clue: look at W Greenland

image.thumb.png.227bdef2b2818ce66da973859f31a933.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

This is the theme. just need to panic where the block sits now

8E79FF96-DBC4-4126-8D40-510120BCA3BE.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

For balance, the GFSP is absolutely abysmal tonight.  No Atlantic amplification whatsoever and to be fair, the 12z went a bit flat in FI as well.  Whilst it's pretty dreadful I really wouldn't be discounting anything at the moment.

That said, the Control is looking pretty decent at 228

image.thumb.png.f77885ed1967819ccfd4cf9e4224fd6f.png

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Parallel seems to have gone wrong as early as D6- clue: look at W Greenland

image.thumb.png.227bdef2b2818ce66da973859f31a933.png

It does feel unlikely, but given the chaos in the GEFS tonight I'd be reticent to bet the house on anything being wrong right now. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

using the mean for trends is probably at its least effective with so many variables out there. 

I'd like to see some clustering of the long ensembles to spot a trend right this minute - but nothing doing at the moment. 

Didn’t you see the eps clusters that were posted on here ?  

• Like 6

Posted

Add into the equation of greater downwelling than what the models are currently picking up on, and also SSW reinforcements coming into the equation in 8 to 10 days time I think it's safe to say there will be more cold pushed out into lower regions than currently being modeled. Personally I think were in for a very potent spell of cold that could potentially last right through February. Good signs as it stands.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Didn’t you see the eps clusters that were posted on here ?  

I haven't seen them tonight to be honest. Fair play if they are picking a trend. Just a lot of white noise at the minute, particularly with the GFS - which is actually normal but has been amplified by the general model uncertainty. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

What would be your assessment of these? The mean is so strong because of these. Detail will come nearer to the time but the trend is clear imo.

9CEEC489-C5C7-488F-A629-1184CA2A9630.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Griff said:

144 gfs vs p... 

I'm just trying to keep up, but these look like they'll have different evolutions. 

gfsnh-0-144 (1).png

gfsnh-0-144.png

(waiting for guaranteed egg on my face) 

I wish I hadn't now...  

Posted
Just now, That ECM said:

What would be your assessment of these? The mean is so strong because of these. Detail will come nearer to the time but the trend is clear imo.

9CEEC489-C5C7-488F-A629-1184CA2A9630.png

Definitely a trend for a block moving towards Greenland - what happens next is probably key - collapse, go west or topple. 

There is big potential for some quite severe winter fayre. If it does occur, longevity, just how severe and whether it is a nationwide event is Mystic Meg stuff at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

At this point I'm not quite sure what can stop that big, densely cold area of Siberian air hurtling SW. There's barely any W'ly momentum in the system...

Looks that way and I hope you are right but you have been around long enough to know that the UK usually finds a way to dodge the cold. 

Expectations of a cold spell, even when they become modelled, always have to be tempered with that reality.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Everbody here knows we could go zonal even with a SSW. Zonal is the norm for our little island in the atlantic. Models struggle to get to grips with SSW's. Why should members comment on a run likely to be wrong showing zonal ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I'm getting all flustered, its either the output, or the male menopause... They are seriously shaping up, and I've only viewed a dozen of them.. 

gens-1-0-264.png

gens-5-1-264.png

gens-5-0-264.png

gens-10-1-264.png

gens-11-0-276.png

gens-13-1-264.png

200-4.gif

Pert 10 is an absolute beaut

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Op not representative of the suite in FI

image.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Welsh_Weather said:

Based on every operational in the reliable timeframe. I think it’s more down to you to prove that your opinion is correct. Yes there are ensemble members pointing at cold and plenty of operational’s showing potential in FI but apart from potential I’ve yet to see anything concrete showing ‘real cold’ making its way to the UK at some point.  

This seems to be what the long range forecasts namely the BBC monthly outlook and perhaps to a lesser degree the Metoffice are hinting at, albeit with low confidence, so all to play for IMO.

• Like 2