Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
Just now, Bricriu said:

The only problem is the GFS ends the cold spell quickly. Given, as you say, it  has done well up to this point, we can't ignore the possibility that the latest runs are correct, as oppose to it just displaying the old GFS zonal bias in a complicated setup.

Yes you’re right both GEFS/GEPS go stormy towards the end but neither of them picked the amplitude at day 9( if it happens). People have their preferences but for trends  recently I look at the EPS, the extended para and strat dynamics which indicate that the reversion to wet and windy is possible as is an extended cold spell with big time N blocking as do Exeter fwiw.

Not seeing a BFTE with a giant Scandi high yet despite the papers and It’s  been covered in this forum that the 2018 event was seen 15days away by the ensembles so we haven’t got nearly that much confidence yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SnowSalah said:

I’m due to move back to Barcelona office on the 19th, if I was there at the minute I could have travelled to Madrid for some record snowfalls . Judging by the ECM mean tonight I may have to delay my return as I could stand missing out on two major snow events. The real cold (if it ever shows it’s face) looks likely to come round 20th.. allowing for a few blips!! Let’s keep the fingers, toes and wives crossed that the trend keeps going ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ 

If you delay your return awaiting a snow event for the U.K. predicted on the nwp you may as well retire here .......

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
40 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

-11C Uppers will do me fine, feb... Why waste all that money, on extra heating bills, when maxes of -1C will still deliver the goods, just as well?!

May be a bit too marginal  lol. 

Things really starting to get exciting again now!! Norfolk and Suffolk have always been cracking places to be in the right setup. Living in Cambridgeshire, it’s always been a painful watch in the past when we’ve been stuck with nothing at all and watching East coast streamers give a dumping just 20 miles away. Living in Norfolk now should eradicate that problem! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

May be a bit too marginal  lol. 

Things really starting to get exciting again now!! Norfolk and Suffolk have always been cracking places to be in the right setup. Living in Cambridgeshire, it’s always been a painful watch in the past when we’ve been stuck with nothing at all and watching East coast streamers give a dumping just 20 miles away. Living in Norfolk now should eradicate that problem! 

Nothing like rubbing salt into the wound.

• Like 4

Posted

Milder weather next week looking occasional.. quite blocked with frontal systems bumping into some cold air that will be over us at times and just to the east and northeast of us..

A lot of rain for western scotland tomorrow and Monday with the northern portion of it falling as snow tomorrow night into Monday mostly over high ground as much colder air moves in here..?️

tomorrow evening..

12_30_preciptype.thumb.png.8bcb6cab4acf36019ceda7d84300369a.png

3pm Monday..

12_51_preciptype.thumb.png.7f6fdeca1f0c440fd30dcc5db5069379.png

12_48_ukthickness850.thumb.png.075e6b7fe4e90246681b338378be2133.png

717976464_12_54_ukthickness850(1).thumb.png.88ec662e3b37ec2c664fb05123ace407.png

FWP5Y2dato.thumb.gif.fde8ab9bddfabc5963ced0db71ba75d7.gif

Monday night and Tuesday night looking very cold in scotland -7 -8c possible and daytime temperature on Tuesday may rise to -2c at most in a few places.

Another area of rain moving east on Wednesday possibly precided by snow in the north particularly scotland before turning back to rain as milder air temporarily moves in..

12_90_preciptype.thumb.png.5d9adddc8582132d87db4b608d556762.png

Later next week and weekend quite complex but likely turns cold at times with more rain on Friday or Saturday possibly with snow into the mix at times..

Gfs chart for the early part of the following week 18th January plenty of interest may change somewhat but not looking mild atm.. the gem and ecm are different both quite cold too though.

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_234.thumb.jpg.9eeb9f7469acf1f62144e3e457591d45.jpg

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I ain't being a suck up here (or maybe I am, I dunno) but there is some first class model analysis on here tonight

Bravo chaps

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Worth considering just how much hasn't worked out well within the next 10 days in todays deterministic runs from ECM and GFS. Slider lows taking unfortunate paths and even a low becoming stuck due north of us on the 12z ECM, which really doesn't help with moving the very cold air toward and across the UK.

Judging by the ensembles, we may well have been seeing some of the most 'difficult' options. Best hope, then, that this is merely by chance, as opposed to the det. runs resolving the situation more effectively. For what it's worth, the situation is so complicated and downright unusual (in terms of combination of factors in play) that I'd be surprised if they were able to gain that much of an edge.

I do wonder if ECM could be onto something with the lack of Greenland height rises. After all, the (potential... still not nailed down!) vortex split location could feasibly support a blocking high over Scandinavia instead.

Yes, I noticed that. ECM OP went on a completely different path to GFS and GEM yet the end effect was much the same.

The thing with which I'm struggling is the GFS which continues in far FI to fire up the PV and the Atlantic as though the current SSW hadn't happened. My theory is the repeated wave 1 warmings from the Siberian side are sending the PV back over to Greenland/NE Canada where it is somehow able to re-strengthen in situ and, aided by a return of stronger zonal winds, energises the jet later this month.

Now, IF the PV has been as weakened as the 10HPA charts suggest, I can't reconcile that and the longer-range model output. Are we using the usual GFS "bias" toward an Atlantic reset (to be fair, Control goes down a different, much colder and less intense PV route) or are we expecting a more "traditional" second half of winter which would suggest the impact of an early SSW is much less than some have suggested?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Such a funny place here, especially when there's a good chance of a cold spell on the horizon.  The downbeat reaction to the ECM was so odd.  Many of the more experienced posters have been talking about 19th - 21st Jan being 'landing day' for some real cold to hit the UK.  So let's see where we are on the latest runs.

GFS - 19th January

image.thumb.png.9c84b38444d6c7899cc7225e2635c254.png 

GFSP 19th January

image.thumb.png.c153d5dbb7a6a54fa93eeda75d82f96a.png

GFS Control 21 January

image.thumb.png.f20ae347cd13f40a52417b632f1e6b54.png

GEM 19th January

image.thumb.png.d181a4a391b526a087cda4c0412023e8.png

ECM 19th January

image.thumb.png.450c6ccc45710810d2c33c4b17dfc922.png

And people think this has been a poor day?  

I understand 'but they are at day 10' comments, but there's enough consistency to be positive, surely?  I would be unhappy if the models were showing a flat Atlantic pattern in FI, but none of them are currently.  

Time will tell, but no reason to be anything other than optimistic for my money!

You are absolutely right about this, the whole episode has been driven by things that are happening on a longer timescale than the individual model runs, just like 2018.  We are one step ahead of the models in this scenario, usually we are one step behind (all seasons not just winter). Still, yet, doesn’t mean we will ‘win’.  65% chance now, up from 60% earlier.  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

The 20th has been the date of interest for days and days, not sure what people are expecting before then?

ECM looks bang on date wise- 

image.thumb.png.97ef016187fc291de39fa11005535dd8.png

Look at the amplification upstream and secondary ridge off the ESB. Only one way that's heading (hint: not mild)

Agree. Don’t think anyone has been seriously expecting deep cold in the next week or so. The real opportunity still lies in the final third of the month. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening

My comments earlier were directly aimed at the slighter poorer medium term trend from UKMO today as it didnt follow yesterdays move to the wedge > infact it moved away from it.

The spirits have been somewhat lifted by the ECM Mean though > lets hope those crazy values are still there come day 3/4 

Glad to hear this Steve, the wedge was a beautiful but unlikely option but the day 8-9 trend was a day 14/15 day trend 6 days ago so it’s still counting down...

Also, that ECM op has 1030mb surface high over Scandi and it wouldn’t take much for that link up with the AR and the crazy 850s to advert westwards: that’s the key to the puzzle we’ve been missing so far this winter...

Your thoughts on the GLOSEA 3monthly run on Monday? The others have flipped, will the UKMO make it a full house?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Uncertainy said:

Glad to hear this Steve, the wedge was a beautiful but unlikely option but the day 8-9 trend was a day 14/15 day trend 6 days ago so it’s still counting down...

Also, that ECM op has 1030mb surface high over Scandi and it wouldn’t take much for that link up with the AR and the crazy 850s to advert westwards: that’s the key to the puzzle we’ve been missing so far this winter...

Your thoughts on the GLOSEA 3monthly run on Monday? The others have flipped, will the UKMO make it a full house?

I didnt see it - have you got an image -

S

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

GFS 18z T126, stuff to keep your eye on:

7D60E8C4-8C60-42E1-83CC-D7C3ACC7E4F6.thumb.jpeg.6a36bc147f8b7ac48c06fe24ee7ad590.jpeg

I'm watching this from behind the sofa, thanks for the guidance, will have to take your word and a leap of faith

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I didnt see it - have you got an image -

S

Of the Glosea run no, was just asking for your prediction as to whether it might flip From it’s Dec +NAM forecast, given the rest of the seasonals appear to have...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Pressure-wise, a chart that looks more like mid-Spring than mid-Winter - remarkable in its own right

image.thumb.png.fe874723df4d6abb23f66cee0e343330.png

Edited by Eskimo